× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: USB3 backup drive rarely recognized

af8
Guide
Guide

USB3 backup drive rarely recognized

I have backed up my NAS to a USB3 drive using the rear USB port and it always mounted ok and did an incremental backup.  Since 6.5.0 the NAS rarely recognises and mounts the USB3 drive and when it does the backup fails due to 

Backup Status: Fail: destination cannot be accessed.

No USB storage was found at usb_port_3:4!

I have tried front and back USB ports, different cables, and different USB drives and they all have the same problem.

Any ideas?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 11
omicron_persei8
Luminary

Can you clarify the relation between the title of the thread and the error you posted?

Message 2 of 11
af8
Guide
Guide

Apologies, I know this probably sounds odd, but that wasn't the title I typed.  As you can see from the description the problem that I have is about recognition of a USB drive 😉

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@af8 wrote:

Apologies, I know this probably sounds odd, but that wasn't the title I typed.  As you can see from the description the problem that I have is about recognition of a USB drive 😉

I took the liberty of re-titling the thread
Message 4 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you connect the USB disk, try running the backup, then download the logs and send them in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 5 of 11
af8
Guide
Guide

Logs sent as requested

Message 6 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The logs show that the USB disk is virtually 100% full. Filling any filesystem that full is a very bad thing to do. You're much more likely to run into issues with a full filesystem than with one that is say 80-90% full. It does vary from filesystem to filesystem. I see that you are using NTFS.

I see in the logs "failed to read block 0xe8df809".

You should hook the disk up to a PC and check it's health using the tool from WD. If it passes you should do a filesystem check on it. You should also free up some space.

Please follow the instructions in future when sending in the logs. I didn't see any link to the thread in your email, nor did I see any reference in the subject of the email (or in the body) to point out that it was for me.

Message 7 of 11
af8
Guide
Guide

Many thanks for looking at the logs and apologies for the slip up on my part in not following the instructions 😉

Whilst I agree not great to have an almost full drive, I have the same issue with drives even when empty.  I had already chkdsk that drive an no errors were found.

I have noticed that since 6.5.1 my drive takes a long time (5-10 mins) to shut down and I just connected an empty USB HDD and it took ~3-5 mins for it to be recognised and it still doesn't show up in the shares page. I have tried to run backup with the empty drive but it still fails.

I will send you the logs from this attempt also.

Best regards and thanks for the assistance.

Message 8 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What about testing it using the disk manufacturer's tool? How did that go?

Message 9 of 11
af8
Guide
Guide

A quick test using the WD tool showed no problems and just finished a full test which took 12 hours and no problems again.

This seems to be a problem with the NAS more than the drive as I get the same issued with any external HDD and and cable. Any ideas?

Message 10 of 11
af8
Guide
Guide

Hi there,  I just tried the following:

1) Connect the external drive - it appeared in the log but not the shares

2) leave for ~20-30 mins - eventually a message appears saying that it's connected and it appears in the shares

3) Start back-up - which is now in progress

The problem seems to be the recognition by the NAS that the drive is connected which is taking a very long time.  In the past it was almost instant, but now, like closing down the NAS, it is very slow.  Reading and writing files seems normal and the NAS drives are 36% free.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements