× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ultra 4 Plus OS Upgrade from 4.2.31 to OS 6

alcester01
Aspirant

Ultra 4 Plus OS Upgrade from 4.2.31 to OS 6

Hi All,

I am trying to follow the procedure elsewhere in this forum to upgrade the OS in my old Ultra 4 Plus from 4.2.31 to 6.9.0.

I have downloaded PREP4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin and am trying to 'Upload and verify image' from the Add-ons > Add New page in the GUI.

It has been sitting now for >20 mins with the GUI not refreshing... If this is not normal behaviour, I would be grateful for some advice on how to move this forward.

Many Thanks, 

Model: RNDP400U|READYNAS ULTRA 4 PLUS|EOL
Message 1 of 4
bedlam1
Prodigy

Have you checked your Bios is up to date using this file http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin

This needs to be uploaded as an "Add on" and will automatically check and update to the correct Bios if necessary.

The other files to get you from OS 4 to OS 6 need to be uploaded using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware upload (not the Add-ons upload)

Message 2 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The BIOS update is optional and that add-on shouldn't be installed until checking that you're not already using the latest BIOS. It will blindly install the latest BIOS whether or not it's already on the system. Also if a BIOS update is interrupted the device would be bricked, so before installing a BIOS update it's best to connect the NAS to a UPS just in case the power happens to go out.

Note: The BIOS and firmware are two different things. A firmware update doesn't have the same risks that a BIOS update does.

Have you checked Status > Logs to see if it's successfully installed anyway?

Have you tried a different web browser? Do you have the same issue on that?

Message 3 of 4
alcester01
Aspirant

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. I had checked the BIOS version before I started as per the advice given in the posts regarding upgrade.

I re-opened the GUI with the same browser, re-attempted the first stage of the upgrade and it went without a hitch. My Ultra 4 Plus is now running OS 6.9.0!

Thanks Again. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements