× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ultra 4 Plus - disk 2 dead - need advice on SMART readings

NASguru
Apprentice

Ultra 4 Plus - disk 2 dead - need advice on SMART readings

Ok, so last week I started to notice dismal performance for streaming movies, which should have been my first clue. :lol: Although, I spent time lowering the video quality and even going as far as rebuilding my Plex server and buying a new Roku3 to see no change. Fortunately, I have the Disk Scrubbing with Auto Parity Fix under volume maintenace set to routinely run every month and wouldn't you know it declared disk 2 dead. Here is the actually email the NAS sent me:

Disk failure detected.

If the failed disk is used in a RAID level 1, 5, or X-RAID volume, please note that volume is now unprotected, and an additional disk failure may render that volume dead. If this disk is a part of a RAID 10 volume,your volume is still protected if more than half of the disks alive. But another failure of disks been marked may render that volume dead. It is recommended that you replace the failed disk as soon as possible to maintain optimal protection of your volume.

[Wed Aug 28 02:03:22 EDT 2013]

So, the question I have is should I prematurely replace the other disk in slot 1 which is the same exact drive (Seagate 2TB). Both drives were installed at the same time and have the same firmware so I'm guessing the chance of failure on that drive is close given the results of drive 2. After reading this forum for the past week, I replaced drive 2 with a WD RED 3TB drive. I actually picked up two drives though just in case I have another failure and need to quickly replace another drive. The interesting thing is the failed drive passed the quick diagnostic test I ran so I'm currently running an extended test. I'm not questioning the NAS's ability to determine a failure but just found those results interesting and may repurpose the drive into my home PC if salvagable. In any event, here are the SMART stats from drive one. Can someone tell me from those stats if drive 1 is in danger of failing?

SMART Information for Disk 1

Model: ST2000DL003-9VT166
Serial: 5YD57PY2
Firmware: CC32

SMART Attribute

Spin Up Time 0
Start Stop Count 13378
Reallocated Sector Count 0
Power On Hours 33351
Spin Retry Count 0
Power Cycle Count 211
Runtime Bad Block 0
End-to-End Error 0
Reported Uncorrect 0
Command Timeout 4
High Fly Writes 0
Airflow Temperature Cel 31
G-Sense Error Rate 0
Power-Off Retract Count 65
Load Cycle Count 13383
Temperature Celsius 31
Current Pending Sector 0
Offline Uncorrectable 0
UDMA CRC Error Count 0
Head Flying Hours 56457345115602
Total LBAs Written 1219229997
Total LBAs Read 2721365637

ATA Error Count 0
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Ultra 4 Plus - disk 2 dead - need advice on SMART readin

Message 2 of 7
NASguru
Apprentice

mdgm wrote:
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=64510

Are you kidding me? :-x From the post above:

Important: This firmware will only work for drives with CC3C Firmware. Owners of drives with cc32 firmware will need to RMA the drives with seagate to get cc3c drives in return. to achieve this you need to specifically request drives with cc3c firmware and mention that cc32 firmwares contain a bug that makes the disk hang and drop out of raid.

Well, at least I have a reasonable answer to my question on the disk failure. I take it the smart stats above then look ok? It may just be easier at this point to remove the Seagate drive in bay 1 and repurpose both Seagate drives for backup to the NAS. It also seems I got a lot further along (1 year 9 months) than others before one of my disks was declared a failure. So here's the bigger question, do I need to update the firmware on the new WD RED 3TB drive I just installed before gettting to far along here? A quick search on their page doesn't turn up anything on the firmware for this drive.

Model: WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0
Firmware: 80.00A80
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

I've had no issues at all with the WD30EFRX, and am running 5 of them in my Pro-6 and two more in my RN102. I haven't seen any firmware updates, they are all running the firmware they were shipped with.

The oldest drive has about 1 year of power-on hours - so it is still early days.
Message 4 of 7
NASguru
Apprentice

StephenB wrote:
I've had no issues at all with the WD30EFRX, and am running 5 of them in my Pro-6 and two more in my RN102. I haven't seen any firmware updates, they are all running the firmware they were shipped with.

The oldest drive has about 1 year of power-on hours - so it is still early days.

That's good to know, but I also had 1 year 9 months on the Seagate drive before I had an issue. :lol: I'm curious, is your firmware the same as the one I posted above? That being said, this is also why I split the hard drive manufactures up in my NAS. Disk 1 & 2 are the Seagate 2TB and Disk 3 & 4 are WD20EARX (2TB drives). I had no issues so far with the WD disks but do remember using their Widdle3 program to adjust an idle timer before placing them into the NAS. I guess each drive isn't without it's caveats.
Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

I agree that the longevity matters, which is why I included that info.

My WD30EFRX drives are running 80.00A80. There is no need for wdidle3 with the RED drives - they are already properly set up for NAS use. There is a different utility from WDC that you can use to tweak settings, but I have never needed it.

The Seagate NAS equivalents (http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-dr ... s/nas-hdd/) have been added to the RNxxx HCL, but haven't made it to the older lines (at least not yet). They are to new to have an established track record yet.

The good news is that both Seagate and WDC are seeing this as an important niche, which should simplify support for users. Maybe over time Netgear can also eliminate the need for HCL listing in order to get support with NAS-purposed drives.
Message 6 of 7
NASguru
Apprentice

StephenB wrote:
I agree that the longevity matters, which is why I included that info.

My WD30EFRX drives are running 80.00A80. There is no need for wdidle3 with the RED drives - they are already properly set up for NAS use. There is a different utility from WDC that you can use to tweak settings, but I have never needed it.

The Seagate NAS equivalents (http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-dr ... s/nas-hdd/) have been added to the RNxxx HCL, but haven't made it to the older lines (at least not yet). They are to new to have an established track record yet.

The good news is that both Seagate and WDC are seeing this as an important niche, which should simplify support for users. Maybe over time Netgear can also eliminate the need for HCL listing in order to get support with NAS-purposed drives.

Good deal and truth be told I just needed an excuse to buy larger drives. Too bad the 4TB drives are not below $200 yet. I actually wanted to skip the 3TB drives all together but the cost kept me from proceeding. Oh well, I'll grab a little bit more storage space when I put the 2nd 3TB drive into the NAS.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements