× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ultra 4: What happens upon failure of NEW disk during resync

luggi83
Aspirant

Ultra 4: What happens upon failure of NEW disk during resync

Hey,

I've got a pretty new Ultra 4 with 4 disks in an X-RAID2. Now it tells me one of my disks has failed and is dead. The thing is: this is the one disk that I've had before the NAS (for about four months) and it's never had any problems so far - I can see the partitions fine when I mount it in my mac. So I strongly suspect it might be no real drive error, and I'm a bit wary of RMA'ing it.

The question is now: if I remove the "dead" drive and add it back again, causing the NAS to resync to it, and it fails *AGAIN*, will this do anything to my other three (perfectly fine disks)? Or will it simply mark the drive as "dead" again and continue in degraded mode?

My question is therefore: is it safe to re-add the "dead" drive, assuming the other three drives won't fail during resync?
Message 1 of 4
TeknoJnky
Hero

Re: Ultra 4: What happens upon failure of NEW disk during re

luggi83 wrote:
The question is now: if I remove the "dead" drive and add it back again, causing the NAS to resync to it, and it fails *AGAIN*, will this do anything to my other three (perfectly fine disks)?

no, other than whatever wear and tear from resyncing.

Or will it simply mark the drive as "dead" again and continue in degraded mode?

depends on how the drive failed really. When you insert the drive (any drive) it will do a quick smart test, if the drive passes the initial smart checks, then it will initialize and start resyncing.

if it fails again, then it will simply go dead/non-redundant as before

My question is therefore: is it safe to re-add the "dead" drive, assuming the other three drives won't fail during resync?

safety is relative, but essentially yes.

I would test the drive using the manufacturers diagnostic utilities on a PC before sticking it back in, but thats just me.
Message 2 of 4
luggi83
Aspirant

TeknoJnky wrote:

I would test the drive using the manufacturers diagnostic utilities on a PC before sticking it back in, but thats just me.

First, thank you for the fast reply (and the good news!)

I agree, the vendor tools are the best idea, but I've lived for some years now without any device that will readily accept 3,5-inch disks internally and SeaTools don't recognize the drive over my SATA dock, so I'm reduced to OS X's disk utility that tells me it recognizes the partitions and such.

I've added it back again, and now it's resyncing - will wait for it to finish and see if anything happens again.

Meanwhile, I've had a look on the "dead" drives SMART stats.. anything to worry about here?

Modell:	ST2000DL003-9VT166
Firmware: CC31

SMART-Attribute

Spin Up Time 0
Start Stop Count 151
Reallocated Sector Count 0
Power On Hours 958
Spin Retry Count 0
Power Cycle Count 42
Reported Uncorrect 0
High Fly Writes 0
Airflow Temperature Cel 31
G-Sense Error Rate 0
Power-Off Retract Count 17
Load Cycle Count 373
Temperature Celsius 31
Current Pending Sector 0
Offline Uncorrectable 0
UDMA CRC Error Count 0
Head Flying Hours 71541270249993
ATA Error Count 0
Message 3 of 4
luggi83
Aspirant

Resync'd without any problems, running great so far, thanks for the great advice!
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements