× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ultra 6 OS Upgrade from 4.2.30 to OS 6 then adding PLEX addon, which .deb file to download ?

xlr8r
Guide

Re: Ultra 6 OS Upgrade from 4.2.30 to OS 6 then adding PLEX addon, which .deb file to download ?

thanks

trid your settings as well, still no luck.

i even tried it using Google and Microsoft email server method and that doest work either, its just not getting the email out through the router. ?

are there any other settings elsewhere on the Nas i need to tweak ?

i dont get why the same settings from the old 4.2.31 OS dont work on OS6 ? what changed ....

thanks

Message 26 of 43
StephenB
Guru

You could try smtp.btinternet.com instead of mail.btinternet.com.

Gmail definitely does work.  Are you using a static IP address in the NAS, or are you using DHCP?  If you are using a static IP address, make sure you configured DNS in the NAS network settings.

Message 27 of 43
xlr8r
Guide

smtp.btinternet.com

many thanks but no luck with that either

i have Nas setup as DHCP, its IP is assigned with a static ip in reservation table in router.

i even tried adding a google 8.8.8.8 DNS in the Nas network settings (i had read that worked for someone else) but not for me sadly...

i dont really want to have to setup a gmail account specifically for this job, especially when older OS settings worked just fine ?

problem has to be the OS6 but what....? 

Message 28 of 43
xlr8r
Guide

LOL!!

signed up for a Gmail account

attempted again to send a test email from NAS

..even after enabling "allow less secure apps" to send email ...?

... epic fail once again... its just broken lol!!

Message 29 of 43
StephenB
Guru

Is two-factor authentication turned off in the gmail account?  FWIW, gmail is working fine with my own ReadyNAS.

Message 30 of 43
xlr8r
Guide

it was on but turned it off

what are your gmail settings ?

(obscure the secure bits)

thanks 

Message 31 of 43
StephenB
Guru

On the NAS I have

User: name@gmail.com 

Password: .......

Email Provider: gmail.com

Clicking on "advanced options"

SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com

SMTP port: 465

Use TLS is checked.

In Gmail I have

2 step verification:  off

Use your phone to sign in: off

less secure app access: on

The settings in gmail have all been a place a very long time, it is possible I've lost track of something.

Message 32 of 43
xlr8r
Guide

i have identical settings but still refuses to send the test email...

i am at a complete loss as to whats stopping it... ?

https://i.postimg.cc/C1LdNsz2/gmail.jpg 

in your Nas network settings IPv4, what do you have under DNS ? Just router IP , like 192.168.2.1 and no other DNS values ?

from the logs , i see this;

Nov 26 13:15:09 host=smtp.gmail.com tls=on auth=on user=******@gmail.com from=******@gmail.com recipients=NAS @*****@gmail.com,******@gmail.com smtpstatus=553 smtpmsg='553-5.1.2 The recipient address <NAS @*****@gmail.com> is not a valid RFC-5321\n553 5.1.2 address. z2sm15073313wrs.89 - gsmtp' errormsg='recipient address NAS @******@gmail.com not accepted by the server' exitcode=EX_DATAERR

Message 33 of 43

What version are you running? Did it work in the version just before? 

Message 34 of 43
xlr8r
Guide

latest 6.10.2  did the upgrade from 4.2.31 

settings from old FW do not work in OS6 ?

i dont get why logs show this as the issue ?

The recipient address <NAS *******@gmail.com> is not a valid RFC-5321\n553 5.1.2 address

Message 35 of 43

I can test this weekend (I have the same hardware!) 

Message 36 of 43
StephenB
Guru

@xlr8r wrote:

in your Nas network settings IPv4, what do you have under DNS ? Just router IP , like 192.168.2.1 and no other DNS values ?

I have ipv6 disabled in the NAS, as I don't use it on my home network.  IPv4 uses my router for the DNS server (which is 10.0.0.1).  The router in turn uses my ISP's DNS server, followed by CloudFlare (1.1.1.1) and Google (8.8.8.8).

But it's clear from your log snippet that you don't have a DNS issue.  The mail client in the NAS is clearly reaching the SMTP server, and that server is rejecting the email.

@xlr8r wrote:

...The recipient address <NAS @*****@gmail.com> is not a valid RFC-5321/n553 5.1.2 address ...

This appears to be the real problem.  FWIW, in my case the two email fields (user and from) are both identical, and they both are just the email address of the gmail account I am using.  If you are doing something different there, then try what I am doing.

If you like, you can also send me a private message with the full screen shot (so I can see what email address you are actually using).  Up to you of course.

Message 37 of 43
xlr8r
Guide

thanks stephenB

yes my settings are 100% identical in every way to yours bar my @Gmail login name and password....

im currenty installing Plex and once its finished scanning all the Libraries, i will reboot both Nas and my router and report back.

thanks again.

Message 38 of 43
StephenB
Guru

@xlr8r wrote:

yes my settings are 100% identical in every way to yours bar my @Gmail login name and password....

Gmail should be accepting it if you are using the email address and password for the new gmail account.  Anyway, you can send me a screenshot of the actual address formatting (via PM) if you want me to check it.

Message 39 of 43

I just updated my netgear readynas ultra 6 from 6.10.1 to 6.10.2
Notifications to my email still work. Also after a reboot.
I do remember that you also have to approve it on Gmail itself that you are using an app to send mail. Did you do that?
"

1. verifying that the DNS settings were correct 
  2. adjusting the security settings in Google, namely, turn off two factor authentication & enable "less secure apps"

Friendly greetings,
Demesmaeker

Message 40 of 43
ReadyAS
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@xlr8r wrote:

i.e. i have downloaded the files posted in this thread...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-R4toR6-download-links/m-p/... 

Those are the correct links. 

[...]

I have loaded:

PREP4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin via install add-on page in OS4.2.31 (without system restart of course)

The verification and install finished successfully.

R4toR6_6.9.5.bin via firmware update page in OS4.2.31

The verification finished successfully.

After the system restart, on the LCD screen I saw:

-----------------------

Booting...

Updating FW.

-----------------------

ERR: Could not p

roperly extract

-----------------------

Booting...

XX%

-----------------------

Factory reset

starting network

-----------------------

Installing FWA

X-RAID mode

-----------------------

Booting...

XX%

-----------------------

Ready NAS Pro4

-----------------------

Probably I did not note every message from the LCD screen, but the "ERR: Could not properly extract" something, is disquieting.

I see on the forum that could happen, but could we check what was not exctracted properly from this recommended image?

Everything seems to be fine after upgrade to 6.9.5. Next I successfully upgraded to 6.10.2 version (the latest now) - with no error.

Message 41 of 43
StephenB
Guru

@ReadyAS wrote:

Probably I did not note every message from the LCD screen, but the "ERR: Could not properly extract" something, is disquieting.

I see on the forum that could happen, but could we check what was not exctracted properly from this recommended image?

Everything seems to be fine after upgrade to 6.9.5. Next I successfully upgraded to 6.10.2 version (the latest now) - with no error.

I don't know what happened there - perhaps someone else has seen this symptom before.

But I don't think there's anything you can check at this point (and the update to 6.10.2 also would have updated the flash, so if that was the problem it should be resolved).

Message 42 of 43
ReadyAS
Aspirant

Thank you for your fast answer @StephenB.

I will do the next NAS upgrade and I plan to note every message from LCD screen (to have complete installation picure).

Message 43 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 42 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements