× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ultra 6 Plus Teaming Question

Hibtek
Aspirant

Ultra 6 Plus Teaming Question

Hi All, my first post, but here goes

I have two Ultra 6 Plus devices, one we have had for about 1 month, with 4 2 TB disks, this is setup with Teaming / Failover (Adaptave Load Balancing), Im sure there are about 50 people saying that the Ultra does not support this.... I kinda know that now, but its over a month old and our supplier will not take it back, but anyway, on to my question / issue. The other was bought yesterday, same model and same make of Drives, 4 x 2TB (Ch 1 : WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 [1863 GB]) and this does not list Teaming anywhere.

The First one says Ethernet 1+2
Second one Just has two buttons Ethernet 1 and Ethernet 2

One is on the new firmware of RAIDiator 4.2.18 which does not list any teaming sections
and the other is RAIDiator 4.2.17 which even after several reboots still lists the teaming section.

Both devices list as a Business Pro Edition, I read that this is a known issue, I thought it might be fixed in the .18 firmware, which is why I updated the second NAS

We copy to the Device about 80 - 100 MB / Sec from Windows 7, it peaks about 115, but thats probably just windows. Network errors seem to work the same as a Dell server with Teaming, e.g. the first network card has little or no errors/drops and the second card drops packets, I asume the ones its got ok?

Am I going mad...(ok stupid question), I can send my logs to someone as I know how easy it is to change pictures

Sorry if the above does not make sense, but I am trying to work out how I can explain to the Boss that the two devices don't actually support Teaming... I know its not an issue as such, but a device with two network cards and no teaming/Failover!, Im with everyone else, that Sux and does seem like a marketing ploy

Other than that the devices are great

Sofar we have a Duo with 2 x 1.5 TB drives and now 2x Ultra 6 Plus soon to have all 6 bays filled with 2TB WD Drives.

Anyway thanks for all your help, I have been reading lots of posts before now
Message 1 of 14
bbaraniec
Luminary

Hi Hibtek,

You can send logs: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/misc/how ... d_all_logs
Now that you have mentioned I noticed that I don't have teaming anymore! I wasn't active lately so maybe something changed.
Message 2 of 14
yoh-dah
Guide

Hate to say this to you as you already know, but the Ultra systems don't have teaming capabilities. If you have one that shows up supporting it, then the hardware was set incorrectly at the factory.
Message 3 of 14
bbaraniec
Luminary

What about Pro? I haven't noticed it before but my teaming options are gone as well
Message 4 of 14
Hibtek
Aspirant

Thanks Yoh-dah, it was just more annoying that we based the second purchase on the performance / options of the first, its not essential or anything.

If we firmware upgrade do you know if the option will disappear? if it does will the settings be wiped. I guess the safest way is to turn off the teaming and then do the firmware upgrade, and see whats left 🙂

I might leave it for a while, both boxes perform the same, sort of 70 - 90 MB /sec
Message 5 of 14
fbmachines
Guide

bbaraniec wrote:
What about Pro? I haven't noticed it before but my teaming options are gone as well

The Pro BE should have the teaming options. You need to have both NICs plugged in to enable that portion of the menu.
Message 6 of 14
Hibtek
Aspirant

Ah, our second network cable is faulty, Oops, never really checked it after plugging it in, I have now plugged it in the bin!, second network cable plugged and up pop the Teaming options... Way happy, just need to add it to the domain and start playing

Model Numbers are RNDP600U-200EUS, I have double checked and they are

So, two devices that are not ment to have teaming, they both seem to work properly.....I suspect this will be removed in a later firmware update though :-(, Its nice to have though, it would be great if we can keep it
Message 7 of 14
sphardy1
Apprentice

Your model number beginning RNDP means you have a Pro 6 - not a Ultra 6+. Therefore the teaming option being visible is correct
Message 8 of 14
bbaraniec
Luminary

I have ReadyNas Pro but I'm quite sure that option was always there without having plugging 2nd network cable.
Message 9 of 14
Hibtek
Aspirant

Hmmm, I looked that number up and lots of places are stating its the ultra, not the Pro, the Box also says Ultra 6 Plus....actually both boxes

Details from the Invoice
NETGEAR RNDP600U-200EUS- ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus Diskless Home Server £531.97

Im pretty sure its an Ultra not a Pro, the Readynas reports as Pro, but I think there is a few people stating that.

I thought the RNDP6000 is the Pro and the RNDP600U is the Ultra, can anyone else help?
Message 10 of 14
sphardy1
Apprentice

Apologies - you are correct. RNDP has previously just denoted the Pro model and that's what I based my answer on (RNDU is the Ultra series, but not Ultra Plus)

But this makes it clear: http://www.netgear.com/home/products/st ... P600U.aspx

vs this: http://www.netgear.com/business/product ... fault.aspx
Message 11 of 14
Hibtek
Aspirant

No Apologies needed, I don't think anyone fully understands the Naming convention that Netgear use!

After a bit more reading I have also found that they do not.... or should not be able to join a domain.... both mine have the ability or option to join a domain and one is joined and working well.... it will be annoying if this is taken away, can anyone from Netgear state if this is an issue or not?

Options that we should not have but do and they work ok, it seems to me that lots of people are asking the questions and want this kind of functionality then can we keep it in?

Yoh-dah said in a previous post
"If you have one that shows up supporting it, then the hardware was set incorrectly at the factory."

Does that mean a firmware update can not remove these options?
Message 12 of 14
alexofindy
Aspirant

There are two firmware bugs that are showing up here, both of which I also experience on my Ultra 6 Plus.

First, I have only one ethernet cable connected, which happens to be in ethernet port 2. The first LAN port has nothing connected.

Bug 1: My ultra 6 plus thinks its a business pro. Hence, business features are enabled in front view. Since the business features are not supposed to be included with a Ultra 6 Plus, they could presumably go away at any time, with a firmware update. I do not use them.

Bug 2: There is a known bug, described elsewhere in this forum, such that the teaming option does not show up if English is selected as the browser language. I use Firefox 5 on a Mac. If I select US English as the browser's language (which I do), there is no teaming option. HOwever, if I set French as the browser's language (in Firefox preferences) and restart the browser and relogin to Frontview, then not only does Frontview display in French, but the teaming option shows up as well, in the settings for my single connected ethernet port.

As an off topic aside, If I were buying my unit again, I would purchase a Pro rather than an Ultra Plus, to officially get the business features, and the longer warranty. However, diskless Pro's were not being sold when I purchased my system last December. I have a minor gripe with netgear over this bit of marketing, but in any case users now have the option of purchasing a diskless pro.
Message 13 of 14
bbaraniec
Luminary

@alexofindy Bug 2. FF on Win 7, language EN, no teaming options.
Same NB, IE9 locale set to PL, teaming options are visible. Thanks for hint 😉
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements