× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ultra 6 (RNDU6320) stuck at READYNAS prompt

tnguyen
Aspirant

Ultra 6 (RNDU6320) stuck at READYNAS prompt

Hi,

Tried to replaced the PSU on my Ultra 6 today. I were a little careless because i already did the PSU replacement on my other Ultra 6 and it went smothly. This time i managed to connected the wires on the On/Off switch to the PSU power socket wrongly. Found this out when the unit didnt start and reconnected the wires to the correct position. But still it didnt start. Hopefully this did not fry the mainboard.

Then i tried with a spare  ATX PSU i have. This time the unit started up, but it stuck at the ReadNAS prompt. Fan is still spinning fine, so i guess it s not the PSU whose cause the issue (?).

Please help. Thanks.

Message 1 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Ultra 6 (RNDU6320) stuck at READYNAS prompt

Is this the symptom that caused you to suspect the power supply, or was it behaving differently?

"READYNAS" on the display is not a prompt, it's the default display.  All it needs is 5V (and not very well regulated 5V at that) for it to show up.  Check that you didn't knock the RAM or something loose when you did the replacement.  

How exactly did you miswire the AC switch?  I rather doubt that's the issue with it not booting, though it may have harmed the replacement supply, but it would be good to know.

When you say the fan is "running fine", do you mean at full blast, or does it calm down at some point?  If the latter, then check to see if you just didn't get the display connection fully seated.

Message 2 of 10
tnguyen
Aspirant

IMG_20211205_124437.jpg

Took this picture before disassembling. When i reconnected the wires on the new PSU, i arranged exactly as the picture shown. when i started up the NAS the led light flashed but turned off right away, and so was the fan. When i disconnected and checked, found out that on the new PSU, the blue wire connected to the pin with S and D marking is on the top instead of the bottom in the original PSU.

The Fan is spinning at full when i used a spare ATX PSU. And i could not see any loose wire. 

Message 3 of 10
tnguyen
Aspirant

IMG_20211205_124437.jpg

Message 4 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

I'm not quite following, as I have no idea what the "S" and "D" are.  But it sounds like you swapped the hot and neutral (the two on the long side of the trapaziod), but had the safety ground (single pin on the short side) properly connected, which should not have done any damage.  Is your replacement supply rated for 110 to 220, or does it have a switch to select one or the other?  And if it has a switch, was it in the proper position?

But you didn't answer the other main question:  Is the behavior you are now seeing with the ATX supply the same as what made you suspect the power supply in the first place?  If not, what were those symptoms?

Message 5 of 10
tnguyen
Aspirant

Yes, i did swapped the hot and neutral pin/wire. The replacement PSU is a Corsair SF600 and is rated for 110-220 and no other switch than the on/off switch.

Before the replacement, the NAS was fine. and since i got the spare SF600 laying around, so i decided to replace the old one. With the SP600 replacement, i were not able to turn on the NAS, the blue led light just blinked, and the fan struggled to spin then stopped when i turned on the power. Tried both with the correct wired on/off switch and direct plugged power core to the pins socket with same result.

After this, i tried with both old PSU and an ATX. None of them got pass the ReadyNAS display, but the fan was spinning at full power. I also noticed that cooler block and the back side on the mainboard where the CPU situated got hot.

Message 6 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

The Corsair struggling to run is concerning.  That sounds like something else might not have been connected right, which may have damaged the unit.

Otherwise, I'm back to thinking whatever is going on is a result of the disassembly necessary to replace the power supply.  Go back and verify no connections are backwards, left unconnected, or loose, and also check that the RAM did not become unseated.  I don't recall if anything inside the Ultra6 is close to the case that could short to it, but look for that, too.

Message 7 of 10
tnguyen
Aspirant

During the disassembly, i had to disconnect and remove the fan in addition to the 3 sata connectors and the mb power cable.

Checked now that rams are sitting good. And the rest of the cables seemed to be in place.

Could it be the software issue? since it never got the booting process at all.

Tried the usbrecovery procedures, but nothing happened when i pressed reset button and power on with usb plugged into the front usb.

Thanks for responses.

Message 8 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Did you try booting without drives, as was previously suggested?  That'll help determine if it's a software or hardware issue.  But it sounds like hardware to me.

Also, it the LAN LED lit?  Does RAIDar find the unit?

Message 9 of 10
tnguyen
Aspirant

Yes, both with and without disks with the same result. No lan lit either and RAIDar did not find the NAS.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements