× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ultra 6+ turns off as soon as RAID is mounted

secundo
Initiate

Ultra 6+ turns off as soon as RAID is mounted

I'm having new problems with this ReadyNAS 6 Ultra Plus upgraded to ReadyOS 6.10.3. The other day it started complaining about ATA Read Errors on one disk, then within a day or two it started to complain about more disks, then it started rebooting randomly every few hours, trying to resync but never getting to finish. I turned it off while I got replacement hardware in to migrate  data off of while I try to fix it, but now it's not booting up at all anymore.

When I press the power button it will turn on, disks 1-6 will light up, then it'll say Booting Up, then Checking Roof FS, and it'll just click off, like you pulled the plug or something.

I tried to get in via Technician Mode, and it was able to turn on and stay on and I could telnet in,  but as soon as I ran start_raids it clicked off again when it inspected the btrfs volumes. A memory test came back clean too, for context.

Is there any hope of getting my data off it before it dies for good?

Model: RNDP600U (ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus)|READYNAS ULTRA PLUS 6 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ultra 6+ turns off as soon as RAID is mounted

You might be able to clone the disks (though there could be some file system corruption if everything can't be copied).

It'd be helpful to get more information on the disk status.  Are you able to connect them to a PC with SATA or a USB adapter/dock?  Then you could test them with vendor tools.   If not, can you run the SMART long test for each drive on the ultra (and query the SMART stats).

Another thing you could try is to boot up the NAS w/o disk 1.  (If you do that, be sure to power down the NAS before inserting/removing the disk).

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Ultra 6+ turns off as soon as RAID is mounted

Leaving the NAS running with those errors building was, unfortuinately, a potential cause for more damage to the volume.  ATA errors can be caused by a single bad drive (but can affect drives that are fine), or can be caused by the NAS hardware.   It is possible you really have multiple bad drives, but that's probably the least likely unless you ignored errors on one for some time.  The data on more than one, however, can be corrupted,

The first step is to see if you really do have multiple drive issues, or if a single drive or the NAS hardware was at fault.  Do you have the ability to mount the drives (one at a time is fine) to a PC via SATA or a SATA to USB dock so you can run the manufacturer's diagnostic tool?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements