× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ultra6 Expansion questions.

dabrain22
Aspirant

Ultra6 Expansion questions.

Let's say I have 2 3TB drives and 4 2TB drives.

1. What order should I populate the drives. Should I put the 3 2TB drives in bay 1 & 2?

2.How much space should I have total and what is the formula to figure it out with x-raid2?

3.What is the maximum amount of expansion(vertical) I could get with these drives. In 2 yrs if 5/6TB drives come out but I started with a mix of 2/3TB drives?
Message 1 of 4
Transalp
Aspirant

Re: Ultra6 Expansion questions.

Message 2 of 4
dabrain22
Aspirant

It doesn't it is not clear enough watching the video makes you believe in endless expansion and just add whatever you wish.
Message 3 of 4
TeknoJnky
Hero

1) does not matter which bay the drives go in, however you must always start wit smaller drives and go up, you can not add smaller drives after larger drives. IE start with 2tb, then add 3tb, and/or start with all 6 at same time

2) assuming single redundancy, 2x3tb, + 4x2tb = ((6 * 1.8 )-1.8 ) + ((2 * .9)-.9) = 9tb + .9tb = ~9.9tb

3) currently there is a 16tb ceiling on volume size without factory defaulting with all drives in place, additionally there is an 8tb lifetime expansion limit on the filesystem.

you can have volumes over 16tb, but as mentioned it (currently) has to be created from scratch (ie factory default), not expanded.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements