× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ultra6 stuck on Boot Menu

Laureijs
Aspirant

Ultra6 stuck on Boot Menu

Just checked the central heating an noticed: Boot Menu on my Ultra6 on OS6

I probably need to emergency boot usb, but since I upgraded to OS6 I suppose I need to use the modded BIOS?

(system is unresponsive and just sits there, pressing reset doesn't make any difference)

Model: RNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 21
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ultra6 stuck on Boot Menu

@Laureijs wrote:

(system is unresponsive and just sits there, pressing reset doesn't make any difference)

If you hold down the power button, the system should turn off after several seconds.  Then power on again, and tell us if it boots normally (and if not what error message you see).  

RAIDar might also give you some useful status: https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

Message 2 of 21
Laureijs
Aspirant

The system shuts of immediately when pressing power.

Upon reboot: Readynas logo and a short attempt to boot: I see 1-4 stripes from the progress bas and the Boot Menu

This nas is not found by raidar

Message 3 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Laureijs wrote:

Upon reboot: Readynas logo and a short attempt to boot: I see 1-4 stripes from the progress bas and the Boot Menu

This is with no disks installed?

Message 4 of 21
Laureijs
Aspirant

with drives, but then again: there's no network connection (no light on device as well as the connected switch)

tried another psu: no dice

Message 5 of 21
Laureijs
Aspirant

Also without drives

@StephenB wrote:

@Laureijs wrote:

This is with no disks installed?

Message 6 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Laureijs wrote:
Also without drives

Ok.  I guess a USB recovery would be the next thing to try.

You'd use the instructions for 4.2.x, but you'd use the OS-6 firmare image.  That needs to be renamed to RAIDiator-x86-4.2.31 (with no file extension)

Message 7 of 21
Laureijs
Aspirant

Ok, created an usb recovery, copied and renamed the latest OS fw.

Power on, hold backup for 10-15 sec, the led on the usb stick flashes and after a minute of so the unit shuts off (as expected)

But on reboot: same behaviour: the unit goes straight to the (unresponsive) boot menu

Message 8 of 21
StephenB
Guru

One option is to migrate to a new OS-6 x86 NAS.

The only things you can replace in the chassis are the power supply and the memory.  It could be one of those I guess.  

Message 9 of 21
Laureijs
Aspirant

Oh well tried the OS6 usb recovery tool with  renamed os6 fw

It didn't shut down but now it shows up in raidar: Telnet Mode

Message 10 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Laureijs wrote:

Oh well tried the OS6 usb recovery tool with  renamed os6 fw

It didn't shut down but now it shows up in raidar: Telnet Mode

FWIW, I thought you'd already tried that in your earlier post.  This is progress. Does anything change when you reboot it?

If not, it might be something @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V might be able to fix remotely.

Message 11 of 21
Laureijs
Aspirant

I first attempted the usb recovery with the 4.2 tool and the renamed OS6 fw:

is seemed to run and shut down, but no change in behaviour at reboot

then I got bored and tried the usb recovery for OS6 with renamed OS6 fw and then it doesn't shut down but appears in raidar in Telnet Mode

Rebooting results however in the dreaded: Boot Menu

Message 12 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Laureijs wrote:

I first attempted the usb recovery with the 4.2 tool and the renamed OS6 fw:

is seemed to run and shut down, but no change in behaviour at reboot

then I got bored and tried the usb recovery for OS6 with renamed OS6 fw and then it doesn't shut down but appears in raidar in Telnet Mode

Got it.   I guess you could try OS6 recovery without renaming the firmware.

Message 13 of 21
Laureijs
Aspirant

yeah, tried that, no dice: it appears to do something (flashing led on usb stick) but it doesn't shut down, also no telnet

so if someone can help me with telnet, that would be highly appreciated

Message 14 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Laureijs wrote:

yeah, tried that, no dice: it appears to do something (flashing led on usb stick) but it doesn't shut down, also no telnet

so if someone can help me with telnet, that would be highly appreciated

Instructions for tech support mode are easy to find, but I am not sure if you are actually booting into tech support mode or not.

Message 15 of 21
Laureijs
Aspirant

well I can login: root/infr8ntdebug

and that's it

Message 16 of 21
Sandshark
Sensei

USB recovery of a Legacy system running OS6 is always going to fail, as it will not find a compatible platform.  When you use the renamed system, it sounds like it's failing at another place, unable to find a compatible image.  And the Telnet is likely an undocumented feature of that -- possibly looking for a compatible image via Telnet.  I've not looked into the initilization file enpough to see what happens in that case.

If I'm right, then it's still running off the system from the USB, not the one in flash; but I suspect the environment is very similar, if not exactly the same.  It certainly seems worthwhile to try.

The Ultra6 does have a VGA header on the motherboard (at least, it's labeled as such and has the right number of pins), though I have never connected to it and do not recall seeing confirmation here that it is of standard configuration.  But Netgear tends to be pretty consistent, so I suspect that it is (as it is on the 6-bay Pro models).  With a proper cable, you could look for BIOS and boot messages to try and diagnose further.

Message 17 of 21
Laureijs
Aspirant

Yeah, let's find that cable and go from there

or should that special downgrade fw work, let's find out

Message 18 of 21
Laureijs
Aspirant

I poked around with telnet and used some tips PM'd to me and my drives seems fine

I struggle to implement mdadm correctly so that requers some learning.

Haven't got around to attach a vga header, I have one, but haven't found the time, yet

I also have a bid out for a used chassis, which if all turn out well, would lessen my backup anxiety.

But then again I need additional backup space, so to revive this unit would be sweet.

Message 19 of 21
Sandshark
Sensei

Since you are running OS6, you can move the drives to any 6 or more bay unit running OS6.  It does not have to be an upgraded legacy model.

Message 20 of 21
Laureijs
Aspirant

I just did that: moving the drives to a readynas pro-6 chassis and it's up and running.

Just needed to change the ip adress

But looking at the ultra-6: my vga header doesn't work unfortunately.

(I waited for the pro-6 chassis before poking into the hw, before messing it up completely)

I'm going to poke around and try to see what's wrong. I intend to get this one upand running again

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements