× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable access readynas from windows explorer

thejtluv
Aspirant

Unable access readynas from windows explorer

So I've seen other issues like this on here, but at a bit of a loss. Did a recent 'OS reinstall' to get the password going again and then get updated to latest 6.5.1. One PC could access via windows explorer, laptop could not (both win10). Noticed the PC has an old account in credential manager that was from when I first got the thing and was trying to do some more advanced user management. After frustration with that, figuring home network secure enough, did away with that account and all others, and opened up guest/anonymous access and called it a day. So today after noticing this, I removed the account from cred manager to see what would happen and now neither will access via windows explorer. I've tried suggestions of toggling SMB. I tried turning SMB off for the share itself, then turning off for the whole NAS, restarting NAS and PC/laptop, then enable for NAS, followed by the share. No love. Then tried the reset permissions option for that share, still no love. At a bit of a loss. Maybe I can try to download all files through web (?) and then do a factory reset, but would prefer not to if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks!

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Unable access readynas from windows explorer

what happens if you try to map the data volume to a drive letter?  For instance, run cmd

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nasipaddress\data /user:admin nasadminpassword

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

what happens if you try to map the data volume to a drive letter?  For instance, run cmd

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nasipaddress\data /user:admin nasadminpassword

Message 2 of 7
thejtluv
Aspirant

That worked. And now can browse to it first via \\nasname, I guess due to saved windows cred mgr? Why when I browsed to \\nasname before and enter the same credentials it doesn't work? Thanks!!

Message 3 of 7
thejtluv
Aspirant

PS after disconnecting the mapped drive, can access \\nasname temporarily then seems to revert to previous behavior. Not a big deal, don't have a problem with mapping it, just curious about the behavior. Thanks

Message 4 of 7
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi thejtluv,

It might be possible that your PC got confused which credential it would use. Have you noticed the same behavior on another PC? Good thing that StephenB's suggestion worked out for you.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 7
thejtluv
Aspirant

It did seem to be behaving similarly on two machines. Not sure if I missed it before, or maybe having connected via mapped drive once causes it to show up, but now (even after disconnecting mapped drive) it shows up under 'This PC' (Win10) > Network locations section > as nasname:ReadyNAS 104. Clicking in there gives several options Browse Folders/Music/Pictures/Video. Browse folders opens and reflects just like mapping. I think before I was just trying to type in \\nasname\share, so maybe that was there all along and I just missed it. Strange place for windows to shove that instead of under the Network section. The nasname under 'Computer' section (inside 'Network' section) still doesn't work. Oh well, as long as we can get to it one way or another I don't care too much. Thanks all for the help.

Message 6 of 7
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi thejtluv,

You can ignore that or check if this option SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support is enabled under Windows Features. I agree with you that as long as the mapping works and can browse it through File Explorer, I'm good.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements