× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to access RN312 NAS.

Steelsafe
Aspirant

Unable to access RN312 NAS.

Hi,

I need some assistance with my 2 NAS drives. They were working fine until last night after a windows 10 update, i found out that i coud not access the drives anymore.

I have an RN31122D connected to my modem and have tried to run RAIDAR -4-3-8 which shows my readynas duo and the RN31200.But when i click "Browse" i get  a message saying" this user can't sign in because the account is disabled.

I have tried to run this on a dfferent computer connected to the same network and i still can not connect to it.

I shall be happy to provide some more troubleshooting steps that i did once i get an indication from the community where to start.

Regards

Mark

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Unable to access RN312 NAS.

You need to fill in "nas-ip-address" and "nas-admin-password" with the actual IP address and admin password for your NAS.

You do not need to obfuscate 192.168.xxx.xxx IP addresses, as those are not routed outside your local network.

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 23

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Steelsafe wrote:

But when i click "Browse" i get  a message saying" this user can't sign in because the account is disabled.

I have tried to run this on a dfferent computer connected to the same network and i still can not connect to it.

What account are you using?

Have you tried accessing the NAS web UI?

Message 2 of 23
Steelsafe
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your assistance. Let me explain more.

I have Raidar utility 6-5-0  and raidar 4-3-8  and both of these applications shows the 2 NAS that I have but when  I click browse, I get the message, "check your network settings".

I tried to type the web address https://192.168.XX.XX/admin but still it would not allow me to get through.

In the past, all I had to do was to run Raidar , brwse and map the drives but this is not happening anymore.

I am not too sure about which account you are asking because I never had to set any account to access the drives.

Message 3 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Steelsafe wrote:

I am not too sure about which account you are asking because I never had to set any account to access the drives.

You said that I get a message saying "this user can't sign in because the account is disabled". That's an unusual error message.

Windows File Explorer will use the windows username/password if you don't specify a credential.  If that doesn't correspond to a NAS user account, then the NAS would use guest access settings.  If the windows username does correspond to a NAS user account, then the password is checked.  If that check fails, the NAS will deny access - it won't fail over to guest access.

The 6.10.0 release added a temporary lockout feature for the admin account:  "Multiple failed admin logins will lock the account for 5 minutes."  But I believe that only applies to admin web ui.  So you wouldn't get that from file explorer.

@Steelsafe wrote:

I have Raidar utility 6-5-0  and raidar 4-3-8  and both of these applications shows the 2 NAS that I have but when  I click browse, I get the message, "check your network settings".

I tried to type the web address https://192.168.XX.XX/admin but still it would not allow me to get through.

Let's start here.  It is safe to post 192.168.x.x addresses, as they are private (not routable over the internet).  Is RAIDar showing that the NAS IP address is 192.168.168.168?

Have you tried pinging the NAS IP address from your PC?  https://www.howtogeek.com/355664/how-to-use-ping-to-test-your-network/

As an aside, the full of private IPv4 addresses is 

• 10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
  • 169.254.1.0 to 169.254.254.255 (technically "link-local", but still unroutable over the internet).
  • 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
  • 192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255
Message 4 of 23
Steelsafe
Aspirant

Hi Stephens,

I got the NAS RN312D running after unplugging the cat5 cable and repowering the device. I went and did a raidar scan and it found the drives.I was able to map the drive on my laptop .Hoo,,whoo!!

Back to my recent new working nas RN312D , What i noticed since i had this drive installed, was that i could see it working on one of the laptop but on my second laptop after scanning the drives with the raidar utility, i am getting a window asking me for username and password.

When i try admin and netgear1, it keeps failing on that second laptop.:(( 

i went in control panel and removed the passwords in the windows credential section and refresh my browser but still no luck on that second laptop.:((

-Having said that i am not out of the woods as yet because  my second old "nas duo sparc" can be found with the raidar utility but still wont allow me to browse anything. 😞 i had messages from" your account has been disabled" to " you can't connect to the file share because its not secure. This share requires SMB1 protocol which is unsafe.Your system requires SMB2 or higher"

If after deleting all my cookies, I tried doing an https://192.168/0/97/admin/ and i can get it but it is showing only a web screen of my old netgear with a blank screen"shares". i have only 2 options either to click on the tab shares or the password tab.:((

What am doing wrong in that network. 

Message 5 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Steelsafe wrote:

Back to my recent new working nas RN312D , What i noticed since i had this drive installed, was that i could see it working on one of the laptop but on my second laptop after scanning the drives with the raidar utility, i am getting a window asking me for username and password.

When i try admin and netgear1, it keeps failing on that second laptop.:(( 

The default admin password on the RN312 would be password.  You could of course change it to netgear1, but it would be much better to use your own password instead of recycling an old netgear default.

Are you using admin and netgear1 on the first laptop?

@Steelsafe wrote:

-Having said that i am not out of the woods as yet because  my second old "nas duo sparc" can be found with the raidar utility but still wont allow me to browse anything. 😞 i had messages from" your account has been disabled" to " you can't connect to the file share because its not secure. This share requires SMB1 protocol which is unsafe.Your system requires SMB2 or higher"

If after deleting all my cookies, I tried doing an https://192.168/0/97/admin/ and i can get it but it is showing only a web screen of my old netgear with a blank screen"shares". i have only 2 options either to click on the tab shares or the password tab.:((

You have to turn on the SMB 1.0/CIFS client in Windows ("turn windows features on or off") and live with the security risk.

Also, you should be using https://192.168.0.97/admin - which is not what you typed above.  It sounds like you are ending up at https://192.168.0.97/shares (likely redirected there), which suggests something isn't being typed quite right.

Message 6 of 23
Steelsafe
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

On the RN312, I am not too sure if there was ever a password for it . Since i bought it(second hand) it was always a plug and raidar scan and ready to use storage folders. I just found out that the admin and password thing is not working at the web browser. That is https://192.168.0.141/admin/

I have tried this on a second computer and i am having the same problem where it is denying the login. Is there a way around this.

Anyhow back to my old nas duo sparc because i have managed to get to the netgear web browser where it is showing "network, security, power, volumes, shares, password etc.  

The issue is that i just wan to be able to run raidar scan and to browse folders. So far im stuck and i am having errors saying" this user can't sign in because the account is diabled".

Please le me know what you think.

Message 7 of 23
StephenB
Guru

As an aside, using RAIDar to access your shares is a rather clumsy way to do it.  It is simpler to access them directly with file explorer.

@Steelsafe wrote:

On the RN312, I am not too sure if there was ever a password for it . 

There absolutely is an admin password - you just don't know it.  It is important for you to have administrative access to the NAS.  It isn't an "install and forget" device, and you are likely to lose data if you treat it that way.

If admin/password doesn't work in the web ui, then you either need to ask the seller, or do an OS reinstall - which will reset the password to password.  See pages 65-67 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

@Steelsafe wrote:

The issue is that i just wan to be able to run raidar scan and to browse folders. So far im stuck and i am having errors saying" this user can't sign in because the account is diabled".

Is SMB 1.0 enabled in the PC?  You won't get anywhere until you do that.

If it is enabled, then try running CMD from the windows search bar.  Then try entering

net use * /delete /y
net use t: \\nas-ip-address\C /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the actual NAS ip address and admin password of course.  Be careful on the typing - particularly on the slash direction and the spaces.  

The first command will terminate any open SMB sessions (and will tell you if there aren't any).  The second attempts to mount the full NAS data volume as drive letter T.  Note this will only work if the Admin password isn't netgear1.  So change the password first if you are using the default.

Let us know if that works.

Message 8 of 23
Sandshark
Sensei

The admin password is stored on the drives, not in flash.  So unless you purchased the NAS completely set up, the password is the default password or something you set it to and promptly forgot.

Message 9 of 23
Steelsafe
Aspirant

Hi there,

I have tried all these but still can not get in.

I am having an error message saying smb1 is not enable. Actually i can see my SM1 client and server enabled in programs

There must me something on the computer prevent the files to be shared.

I cant access the files on any of the NAS.

Surprisingly, i can do a raidar utility check and view the 2 nas but cannot broswe anything.

Model: RN31212D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (1x 2TB Desktop), RND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 10 of 23
Steelsafe
Aspirant

Since i dont know the password for the device. If i decide to through the process of reinstalling the OS , would i loose any information on that nas drive.

See pages 65-67 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

Message 11 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Steelsafe wrote:

Hi there,

I have tried all these but still can not get in.

I am having an error message saying smb1 is not enable. Actually i can see my SM1 client and server enabled in programs

Note you don't need SMB 1 for the RN312, only for the Duo.

Are you saying you are seeing it enabled in "Turn Windows Features on or off" on the PC?   Do you have internet security software running on the PC (Kaspersky, Avast, etc).

Also, check that the PC has classified the network as private (not public).

Message 12 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Steelsafe wrote:

Since i dont know the password for the device. If i decide to through the process of reinstalling the OS , would i loose any information on that nas drive.

See pages 65-67 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

No.  The OS reinstall will reset the password, but won't destroy the data.

Message 13 of 23
Steelsafe
Aspirant

Hi ,

I have disconnected the NAS DUO and physically turned it on. When i type the ip address, i can log in to the home page of the NAS duo as normal.  i went in windows and disconnected the mapping drive too. But then when i do a raidar utiliy check i keep getting an error message saying account has been disabled. The files are turned on as client in file but not the server tick box when sharing files in the control panel.

But when i run the raidar utility on another computer, i can access the drive normally.

What could be the problem?

Model: RND2110|ReadyNAS Duo 1TB (1 X 1TB)
Message 14 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Steelsafe wrote:

But when i run the raidar utility on another computer, i can access the drive normally.

What could be the problem?

Since this works on one computer, the problem is with the computer - not the NAS.  

One piece of advice is not to run RAIDar on that PC.  You don't need to run RAIDar under normal circumstances.

@Steelsafe wrote:

But then when i do a raidar utiliy check i keep getting an error message saying account has been disabled.

Can you post a screen shot of what you are seeing (also showing exactly what you are invoking when you do a "RAIDar utility check").

Message 15 of 23
Steelsafe
Aspirant

I seems to be having problem to browse the drives . When i run the raidar untility software, i can see the screen with the ip address and the blinking leds. The issue is that i cannot browse the folders. Once i click "Browse"  i keep getting the error message that i have attached in the post below.(PNG file).

I cant understand if there is a window configuration that i am missing on the computer.Any ideas.

Model: RND2110|ReadyNAS Duo 1TB (1 X 1TB)
Message 16 of 23
Steelsafe
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

I needed to reinstall the OS to reset the password.

Since i dont know the password for the device I decided to go through the process of reinstalling the OS  as per  pages 65-67 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

I am running through a new problem because now the power button light keeps flashing, led 2 stays on and it seems to be booting forever.

I thought to do a rescan on my computer using the raidar utility and it is coming up with "root corrupt" next to the ip address .

How to get around this problem?

Model: RN31222D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (2x 2TB Desktop)
Message 17 of 23
Sandshark
Sensei

Try the OS re-install again, as something appears to have gone wrong with it.

Message 18 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Steelsafe wrote:

I cant understand if there is a window configuration that i am missing on the computer.Any ideas.

• Are you running internet security software like Avast or Kaspersky on the PC? 
  • Have you looked in the windows credentials manager on the PC at the credentials stored for the NAS

Can you post a screenshot of what happens when you open CMD and enter

net use * /delete /y
net use t: \\192.168.0.97\C /user:admin nas-admin-password

using thre real admin password of course.  Mask out the real admin password in the screenshot.

Message 19 of 23
Steelsafe
Aspirant

See what i get.

Basically i can do a raidar utility scan but cannot browse. the drive.

Message 20 of 23
Sandshark
Sensei

You need to fill in "nas-ip-address" and "nas-admin-password" with the actual IP address and admin password for your NAS.

You do not need to obfuscate 192.168.xxx.xxx IP addresses, as those are not routed outside your local network.

Message 21 of 23
Steelsafe
Aspirant

Thank you all. It is now working.

After typing the dos commands the drives came up and even the shortcuts to the drive started working fine. 

Even when i did  rescan on the raidar utility it worked too. I hope it wont drop again. But thank you for your assistance.

Mark

Message 22 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Steelsafe wrote:

After typing the dos commands the drives came up and even the shortcuts to the drive started working fine. 

Ok.  That suggests that the PC isn't using the right credentials to access the NAS.

You might want to go into the Windows Credential Manager - destroying whatever credentials are there for the NAS, and creatiing two new ones - one for the IP address, and the other for the hostname.  You can use the NAS admin credentials, though it is better practice to create a NAS user account in the NAS web ui, and use that.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements