× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to access ReadyNAS 102

leightonn
Tutor

Unable to access ReadyNAS 102

Hi,

I'm running firmware 6.5.1 on my ReadyNAS 102 system with 2 WD Red 4TB NAS drives in XRAID2 configuration. It's used primarly as a Time Machine backup but I also store files for access on my local network as well as serving up iSCSI volumes to a VMware ESXi host. I also enable snapshots for the backup and file server shares. There are a couple apps installed (Moodle, DokuWiki) but I don't use them frequently.

I have always had problems with this NAS. Periodically I would loose access every couple of days. Since a couple of weeks ago however, I am unable to access it completely. The admin web page displays the message 'This site cannot be reached'. I had enabled SSH on the NAS but now when I try to access is via SSH it just hangs. However I can ping the router successfully. I cannot power down the NAS using the power button. Only pulling the power cable from the back of the unit works. RAIDar 6.2 detects the NAS on boot up, but after a few minutes it says that it could not find any NETGEAR storage on my network.

I've tried reinstalling the OS but that hasn't fixed the problem. Obviously there is no way for me to retrieve the logs since I cannot even access it via SSH. I also removed the drives from the unit and tried powering it up but it displays a similar behavior - no ssh, no webpage access.

There are some old logs from previous diagnostics, but I don't know if that would help with the current issue.

Is there anything else that I can do before resorting to a factory reset?

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Unable to access ReadyNAS 102

Do you have a backup?

The RN102 is a cost effective unit for the home. It seems you're trying to do quite a bit with this unit.

Message 2 of 3
leightonn
Tutor

Re: Unable to access ReadyNAS 102

I do have a secondary TM backup on a USB drive and some other redundant copies of files on another NAS, but those may be a bit out of date.

You're right. I may have under estimated my NAS requirements. I think the number of snapshots may be the root cause but cannot say for sure.

Is there anyway I can read the data on the existing drives if I put them in another NAS, VM or USB enclosure? I'm guessing XRAID2 may be an issue.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements