× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to access Readynas 104 admin page

mdflows
Aspirant

Unable to access Readynas 104 admin page

Model is 10400, Firmware is OS6

I have had this Readynas for a couple of years now and I had such difficulty with it from the start that I decided not to use it for ANYTHING other than storage.

I do not use any additional apps or stream media from it, it is strictly a place to backup my data.

Two days ago we had a power outage.  It appeared that everything was fine when power returned but after taking a closer look I noticed I could not access any files on the NAS.  I received an error stating that "This computer is unable to connect to the NAS" when trying to get to the admin page or browse files through the RAIDar application.

I tried multiple computers with no success.  Finally I got on my Raspberry Pi running Ubuntu Mate and through a terminal I could SSH to the readynas.  I also monitored traffic from my switch, it shows good TX/RX traffic on the port the NAS is using with no errors.

I no longer have support for this Readynas outside of the hardware warranty.  I do not want to poke around or install utilities through SSH if it will void the little bit of remaining warranty I have left.  Are there any utilties I can install or commands I can run that from a terminal session that will allow me to make my NAS accessible outside of an SSH session again?  Specifically that will not put the data I have stored on the drives in jeopardy?

Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Re: Unable to access Readynas 104 admin page

What IP address does RAIDar show for the NAS?  Is that address consistent with the rest of your network?

Message 2 of 11
mdflows
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick response to my post!

The IP raidar shows is consistent across the network, on the switch and on the main router.  I'm having no other network issues, zero IP conflicts etc.

I also ran a ping -t for the Readynas and nearly all of them timeout, occassionally I'll get a response from the system running the ping stating that the host is unreachable.

Also to note, RAIDar is not seeing it initially... but when I refresh it does show the NAS there, the hard drives all show green etc.  At that point you would think I'm good to go, but I'm not, instead when I try to view logs, run diags, access admin page or browse folders I get the same error that I cannot reach the Readynas from this computer.

The only success I have made is through SSH so far.  I cannot get to it from IOS app, any other computer on the network and all of the mapped file shares are disconnected.

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

If you run top, what does it say the NAS is doing?

Also can you see the files from ssh?

Message 4 of 11
mdflows
Aspirant

Am I doing this right?  SS below. 

ssh -t.PNG

Message 5 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

After you SSH in, you would do

# top

Also it would be helpful to know which firmware you are running and what you updated from:

# cat /var/log/frontview/initrd.log

and some other relevant information such as

# cat /etc/default/services
# systemctl status -a readynasd
# systemctl status -a apache2
# journalctl -a | tail -n 20
Message 6 of 11
mdflows
Aspirant

readynas troubleshooting.PNG

Message 7 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It looks like your system can't connect to the internet. Perhaps you set a static I.P. address and the DNS server addresses were not entered or not entered correctly?

Also there is a known performance issue at the moment when using the anti-virus service.

You may wish to update to ReadyNASOS 6.4.2-T72 (Beta 2) and disable the anti-virus service for now.

Message 8 of 11
mdflows
Aspirant

Understood.  My issue is that I'm not able to do any administration on the readynas itself without doing it through ssh command line.  Unfortunately my command line kungfu is not very strong and its very difficult when searching online (outside of these forums anyway) to find resources for administratively accessing your readynas via terminal.

Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Typing 

route

will tell you the gateway.

Typing

cat \etc\resolv.conf

will tell you the DNS servers.  If you are using dhcp, then you should see
# Generated by Connection Manager
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver ::1

Message 10 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sent you a PM.

Firstly I would update to the beta firmware.

There is a known issue fixed in 6.4.2 beta where on 6.4.1 the admin page may be inaccessible if there is no internet access.

Once you are on the beta firmware you should be able to get into the UI, disable anti-virus and fix the network settings if set incorrectly.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements