× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to access data from ReadyNas

Atul_marwaha
Aspirant

Unable to access data from ReadyNas

Hello .. need urgent help.. i moved my Ready NAS from office to home during lockdown and it had been disconnected for a while. Few days ago when i tried to connect it to my home network, it won't show up and i had also forgotten the admin password

i was recomended to do a reset (not hard reset that erases the data) and i was then able to see the system on RAIDar and see the new IP and name

but i am not able to still connect it to home network and see my data.. connecting the HDD directly to a computer also is showing nothing and i need to retreive data immedaitely. 

please suggest what can be done.. thanks in advance for your help

PS- i am not an expert so detailed instructions / videos etc that can guide me step by step will be helpful

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: Unable to access data from ReadyNas

@Atul_marwaha wrote:

connecting the HDD directly to a computer also is showing nothing. 

Correct. That is expected.

@Atul_marwaha wrote:

i was recomended to do a reset (not hard reset that erases the data) and i was then able to see the system on RAIDar and see the new IP and name

but i am not able to still connect it to home network and see my data.

It sounds like you were told to do an "OS reinstall" from the boot menu.

What happens if you browse to https://nas-ip-address/admin (using the IP address you see in RAIDar)?  You will get a security warning that you need to click through.  The NAS password should now be password.

Also, what happens if you run CMD from Windows and then enter this:

net use * /delete /y
net use t:\ \\nas-ip-address\data /user:admin password

Again, using the IP address you see in RAIDar.  Be careful on the typing - particularly spaces and the two different slash directions.

The first command will terminate any open SMB sessions, the second will attempt to mount the NAS data volume as drive letter T.

Message 2 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

What happens if you browse to https://nas-ip-address/admin (using the IP address you see in RAIDar)?  You will get a security warning that you need to click through.  The NAS password should now be admin.

User name is admin.  Password is password.  When accessing from Windows Explorer, try using the IP address (as in @StephenB's example) instead of the NAS name, as it typically works better.

Message 3 of 13
Atul_marwaha
Aspirant

Hi Stephen

thanks for reaching out. when i try https://nas-ip-address/admin, it is not opening any webpage and i am getting the following error 

i am attaching the snap shot from RAIDar and safari for reference, please suggest what i am doing wrong 

Message 4 of 13
Atul_marwaha
Aspirant

other observation i have it that when i insert the disks in NAS, the NAS goes off the RAIDar and when i remove the disks. it shows back on the RAIDar scan. 

this is consistent if i insert one disk or both... 

let me know if this clue to any potential issue

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

First thing is that you can't access the Web UI when there are no disks.  So that is normal.  The NAS installs linux and the ReadyNAS application software on a small partition on the disks.  

@Atul_marwaha wrote:

other observation i have it that when i insert the disks in NAS, the NAS goes off the RAIDar 

this is consistent if i insert one disk or both... 

Then I suggest testing the disks in a Windows PC using vendor tools next (lifeguard for Western Digital; seatools for Seagate).  The disks can be connected with either SATA or a USB adapter/dock.

What disk model are you using?  CMR drives are what you want, several folks have had issues with SMR drives.

Message 6 of 13
Atul_marwaha
Aspirant

hi stephen

i am using WD Purple surveillance 4TB HD

will try the HDD on the PC and revert

thanks 

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

The WD40PURZ is CMR, so that particular issue isn't a concern.  

However, I still recommend testing them in a PC - even new drives can fail, and I have had some new drives fail out-of-the-box.  Personally I run the full non-destructive read test, and follow that with a full erase/write zeros test.

Message 8 of 13
Atul_marwaha
Aspirant

hi, i was able to detect the HD using lifeguard, attached is the screen shot, but i can't see it on file explorer or in the my comupter drives

Message 9 of 13
Atul_marwaha
Aspirant

hi, sorry for being ignorant, i guess you mean run full diagnostics using WD lifeguard, is that correct 

Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Atul_marwaha wrote:

hi, sorry for being ignorant, i guess you mean run full diagnostics using WD lifeguard, is that correct 

Correct.  The two tests I am recommending are the "Extended Test" followed by "ERASE"  When you run ERASE there will be an option to run a full erase - which writes zeros to every sector on the drive.  That's the option I am recommending there.

The drive won't appear in File Manager because it uses a format that Windows can't handle.

Message 11 of 13
Danthelf
Guide

uhm, but he said that he needs to access the data? In which case it's not a good idea to erase... 

NAS not showing up with either drive insert seems odd, do you know if this was a RAID0 array?

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Danthelf wrote:

uhm, but he said that he needs to access the data? In which case it's not a good idea to erase... 

Good catch.  @Atul_marwaha: don't run the erase test if you have data you need to offload.

@Danthelf wrote:

NAS not showing up with either drive insert seems odd, do you know if this was a RAID0 array?

The NAS would still boot if it was a RAID0 volume, since the OS is RAID-1.  The volume would be inactive but the NAS would show up in RAIDar.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements