× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to contact SMTP host. Please check your entry. (ReadyNAS NVX / RAIDiator 4.2.30)

absincog
Aspirant

Unable to contact SMTP host. Please check your entry. (ReadyNAS NVX / RAIDiator 4.2.30)

I have used a gmail account as my alert destination for years.  After recently failing to receive a set of "volume scrubbing" alert that I receive monthly, I tested the email configuration.  The test resulted in the "Unable to contact SMTP host. Please check your entry." message.  I checked the gmail settings to confirm they were correct.  I then switched the alert email account to an iCloud email account, which I configured as a custom email account using the settings provided by Apple.  Same test result (Unable to contact SMTP host . . .).

I only recently updated to RAIDiator 4.2.30 but can't claim definitely that the email issue coincided with that update.  Any help appreciated.

Model: ReadyNASRNDX4220|ReadyNAS NVX
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Unable to contact SMTP host. Please check your entry. (ReadyNAS NVX / RAIDiator 4.2.30)

Are the DNS server I.P.s specified correctly in your network settings?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are the DNS server I.P.s specified correctly in your network settings?

Message 2 of 5
absincog
Aspirant

That was the problem - the DNS server IP addresses were all blank.  I know I had previosuly set DNS 1 to my router's IP address; it may have been blanked out during a firmware update?!  In any case, re-entering my router's IP address resolved the problem - thanks.

Message 3 of 5
ISvevo
Aspirant

I have the same trouble----"Failed to contact SMTP server."

Clearly I'm challenged--- can't find where to input those settings. 

And, for that matter, how to find those settings from my router. 

I didn't do an update or anything to the ReadyNAS NVX---the daily emails just quit coming on June 3rd. 

Even changed from gmail as sending email account to yahoo and still no joy.

Thanks! 

Windows 10, RAIDiator 4.2.28, ReadyNAS NVX 4 x 2TB

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@ISvevo wrote:

Even changed from gmail as sending email account to yahoo and still no joy.

Gmail deprecated their "allow less secure apps" setting.  Now you need to create an app-specific password - which also requires two factor authentication to be enabled on the account.

Yahoo has a different issue - they require TLS 1.2, and your old NAS only does TLS 1.0.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements