× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to enter boot menu on ReadyNAS 312

olberg
Aspirant

Unable to enter boot menu on ReadyNAS 312

Hi,
After a power failure my ReadyNAS 312 system fails to boot, it simply hangs with fans being quite noisy. I tried to enter the boot menu by pressing the reset button at the back during power-on. I used this procedure a couple of times in 2013 when I purchased the unit, so I am familiar with it. Hooking up a monitor I can see the BIOS welcome message, and then Loading kernel, Loading initrd.gz ... ready, after which nothing else happens. The LEDs that should come up at the front don't. The only LED lit at this point is the one labelled 'Act'. I should note that the unit runs a modified kernel (I added iptable support in order to use it also as a firewall between my local network and the outside world) and it has saved me well for over a year with this modification.
Any advice? Any chance I can boot from a live linux system on a USB-stick in order to troubleshoot the system?
Message 1 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Unable to enter boot menu on ReadyNAS 314

Perhaps somehow your modifications to load a modified kernel have broken the boot menu?

When you attempt to boot the NAS normally do you see any error message on the display on the front of the NAS or in the Info (far right) column in RAIDar?

What happens if you power down, remove the disks (label order) and boot the NAS without disks?
Message 2 of 19
olberg
Aspirant

Re: Unable to enter boot menu on ReadyNAS 312

>> When you attempt to boot the NAS normally do you see any error message on the display on the front of the NAS or in the Info (far right) column in RAIDar?
The front shows the power button lit in blue, below that the LED labelled 'Act' is on with a steady green light.
RAIDar finds the unit and says "Started" at first and then "Filsystemskontroll" (which is "file system control" in Swedish) . Should I wait? How long?
Message 3 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

olberg wrote:
Any chance I can boot from a live linux system on a USB-stick in order to troubleshoot the system?

If you can use mdadm and a recent enough version of BTRFS with it then you might be able to use that.

If you boot the NAS with no disks, does RAIDar show "No Disks Detected" or does it not get that far?
Message 4 of 19
olberg
Aspirant

If you boot the NAS with no disks, does RAIDar show "No Disks Detected" or does it not get that far?

Yes, it does get that far and shows the corresponding text in Swedish. Does that mean, that when the disks are inserted and RAIDar says "file system control", the system is actually busy with a fsck and I should just wait?
Message 5 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I'm not sure what that message you are seeing when you boot it with disks is for as I can't remember seeing a corresponding message in English for OS6, though I could be forgetting something.

Do you remember which firmware you have on your NAS?
Message 6 of 19
Danthem
NETGEAR Employee

Just poking in here with a proper translation;
Filsystemskontroll = File system check... If I remember correctly the English version of RAIDar says "Checking FS" or similar.

Can you reach the boot menu with no disks in it? If so, can you put the device in to tech support mode and once it's in tech support mode, plug the disks back in and check RAIDar for your tech support code (5 digits), pm this to me please.
Message 7 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's what's weird. I don't think we do a filesystem check on a normal boot on OS6.
Message 8 of 19
olberg
Aspirant

Do you remember which firmware you have on your NAS?

No, I don't remember it. But I have now successfully booted a Ubuntu live system (14.04) on the unit, will that allow me to get at this info?
I'll also check if removing the disks allows me to reach the boot menu.
Message 9 of 19
olberg
Aspirant

I now did

$ sudo dosfsck -n -a /dev/sdc1

and I am getting

fsck.fat 3.0.26 (2014-03-07)
0x25: Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt.
Automatically removing dirty bit.
Performing changes.
/dev/sdc1: 9 files, 28082/57215 clusters

Do I dare to run dosfsck without the -n (no-operation mode) option?
Message 10 of 19
olberg
Aspirant

I have now also looked at the raid disks with mdadm, in /proc/mdstat I see (after allowing for some recovery time)
Personalities : [raid1]
md127 : active raid1 sdb3[1] sda3[0](F)
1948662656 blocks super 1.2 [2/1] [_U]

md1 : active raid1 sdb2[1] sda2[0]
523968 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]

md2 : active raid1 sda1[2](F) sdb1[1](F)
4192192 blocks super 1.2 [2/1] [_U]

so both md127 and md2 seem to have a problem, I guess? How to proceed?
Message 11 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looks like disk sda has been marked as failed. Perhaps that disk has failed.

What kernel version are you running?

What version of btrfs-tools do you have?

The versions you have might not be new enough to be safe to use.
Message 12 of 19
olberg
Aspirant

kernel version is 3.13.0-39
btrfs-tools version is 3.12-1
Message 13 of 19
olberg
Aspirant

Looks like disk sda has been marked as failed. Perhaps that disk has failed.

Can I try to boot the system with disk 1 (sda) removed?
Message 14 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Yes, though you might want to power down the NAS before you remove it.
Message 15 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I'd feel more comfortable using a newer kernel and a newer version of btrfs. We use btrfs-tools 3.17.x currently.
Message 16 of 19
olberg
Aspirant

I am right now running a low level diagnostic tool on the Toshiba disk that failed. If that will find unrecoverable problems, would I be able to replace the disk with another make (I have Seagate and Western Digital in stock) or is the ReadyNAS 312 picky about the brand of the disks?
Message 17 of 19
StephenB
Guru

You can mix/match disk models and vendors. Based on many forum posts here, I'd be careful on the Seagate DM series and WDC green drives. I use NAS-purposed drives myself.
Message 18 of 19
olberg
Aspirant

Ok, I now have hot-plugged a new 2 Tb disk and the system is busy with RAID recovery, which I can follow via /proc/mdstat. By tomorrow morning I should have a fully restored system, without losing a single file. Thanks everybody!
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements