× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to log into ReadyNAS after fresh install of Sierra

oriordan
Aspirant

Unable to log into ReadyNAS after fresh install of Sierra

I have a ReadyNAS Duo running RAIDiator 4.1.16. I had problems with a Macbook so I was forced to do a fresh install of MacOS Sierra (which is what it was running before). After the fresh install, I say that I want to restore from a Time Machine backup and it shows me my NAS. But when I try to connect to it, it will not accept the username and password. It tries to connect as "root", which I replace with the username I have configured, and enter the password. I have confirmed those are correct (both by logging in from other machines and from the settings). The NAS is named nas-CB-98-47 but I notice that the Mac is trying to connect to "nas-CB-98-47.local". I am wondering if the .local suffix is causing the problem. I have tried restarting the Mac multiple times, and have rebooted the NAS but all to no avail. I can see the file I want when I log into the NAS so I know everythign is OK there.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions on how to access the ReadyNAS so I can restore everything that's in the backup.

In the worst case, if I skip the restore step, can I restore afterwards after the machine comes up as a new device?

Model: ReadyNAS RND2110|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 1 of 2
oriordan
Aspirant

Re: Unable to log into ReadyNAS after fresh install of Sierra

In case anyone else has this problem, I wanted to post this update. I had already tried using the "Other server" link and trying to mount the drive using AFP, CIFS, etc. None of those worked. I went to another Mac and confirmed that I could access the Migration Assistant successfully. I went into Keychain on that Mac and found that the path stored was a more complex one - it was afp://nas-CB-97-47._afpovertcp._tcp.local./ReadyNAS. I went back to the failing machine and used that path to mount the drive. It worked! So far I am about half way through the restore.

I don't know if this is a bug in Sierra or there's some other reason why the NAS is detected but can't be logged into using the normal path, but at least there's a path forward.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements