× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to reinstall OS

alanmjackson
Aspirant

Unable to reinstall OS

Hi
I've tried to reinstall the OS on my ReadyNAS, following the instructions of holding the Reset button in until the lights blink once.
The power button continues to flash with the fan running at what I would class as a medium speed.
Both HDD lights are static and on
The activity light flickers for the first 10-20 seconds after releasing the reset button, but then stops.

I can ping the box, and it responds appropriately, but I can't access it through Windows Explorer or the Web interface.
Using RAIDar, it can see the box, but it reports as 'System starting up' with both discs 'green'
The web interface reports 'refused to connect'

I tried using Putty to connect over telnet, but again that refused to connect

Any suggestions as to how I can connect to get at my data?
A full factory reset is not an option 😞

TIA

Regards
Alan Jackson

Model: ReadyNASRND2120|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 1 of 18
StephenB
Guru

You might well have succeeded in doing the reinstall - it might not have been the proper fix.

What firmware is RAIDar saying is on the NAS?

Message 2 of 18
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello alanmjackson,

What's the model number of the NAS and its firmware version? And how many disks inserted?

Regards,

Message 3 of 18
alanmjackson
Aspirant

Sticker on the bottom says RND2120

Matching the rear layout, it's a duo v1

firmware - wouldn't like to say. Not sure I've every updated it myself, but can't connect to find out (not that I've found a way yet)

Sticker on the bottom is v4.1.6,

Message 4 of 18
StephenB
Guru

RAIDar should show you the firmware rev.

I've generally recommended Linux Reader to access the data disk from windows, but some users recently have said that doesn't work anymore.

One reported recently that R-Linux (also freeware) does work.  http://www.r-tt.com/free_linux_recovery/Download.shtml

Message 5 of 18
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello alanmjakson,

Do you remember if you have configured it as XRAID? If XRAID, maybe try booting it up with one disk? Just label the disks, do not swap them.

Regards,

Message 6 of 18
alanmjackson
Aspirant

Hmm, Firmware version - blank!

raidar.jpg

Message 7 of 18
alanmjackson
Aspirant

Pretty sure they are just mirrored

Booting with a single disc in continues to show it is starting up, but never progresses.

In both cases the light for the disc that is removed blinks while the disc that is present is static and on.

Booting with no discs correctly identifies no discs are present

Following the instructions for reinstalling the OS and watching with the RAIDar app, it take a short while for the NAS to be found, but then continues as 'Starting up' with no firmware version
It shows two discs present - even though only one may be installed (see previous image)

Message 8 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Can you try also with RAIDar 4.3.8?  You can find it here: http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance

It is possible you will need data recovery (either doing this yourself, or contracting with Netgear or another service).

Do you have a SATA->USB adapter?

Message 9 of 18
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi alanmjackson,

With the instruction given by JennC, I presume you've done with just disk 1 (without disk 2), have you tried it the other way around (disk 2 only and disk 1 out)? Also, you may also want to try "Skip volume check" (with both disks inserted in their respective bays) and see if the Frontview & data will be available.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 18
alanmjackson
Aspirant

RAIDar 4.3.8 gives no more information.
The link provided was to a Nas check tool, not to RAIDar, that can be found here (http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/ReadyNAS/RAIDar_Win_4_3_8.exe)

raidar.jpg

I don't have a SATA->USB adapter (yet), am happy to get one and pull data that way if it is likely to work

Message 11 of 18
alanmjackson
Aspirant

Yes, tried with only disc 1, only disc 2, no discs and both present

Will try skip volume check once I can find/understand instructions

Message 12 of 18
alanmjackson
Aspirant

The skipping of the vilume check didn't work either, just continued to report as 'booting'

Message 13 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@alanmjackson wrote:

The link provided was to a Nas check tool, not to RAIDar, that can be found here  

Smiley Embarassed Sorry about that, I'm glad you found the right link.

@alanmjackson wrote:

I don't have a SATA->USB adapter (yet), am happy to get one and pull data that way if it is likely to work

Obviously there is a problem, and the data on the disk might have been compromised.  If it is not, you should be able to access it using the adapter with the right tools.  There are some windows tools (I posted one earlier), or you can boot the PC up with a Linux "live cd" (or USB device).

The safest (but much more expensive) way is to contact Netgear Support and ask about a data recovery contract.

Message 14 of 18
alanmjackson
Aspirant

So, I have a Windows 10 PC that has SATA drives in it
I plugged both drives in (one at a time) and neither were read byt the Linux tools

I seem to recall that there is some form of encryption on the discs? I may have mis-remembered that though.

Will try booting the PC to Linux to see if that can access it

As a point of note, when I start the NAS now, disc 1 light is flashing and disc 2 is static on. 
The power light still pulses through this and RAIDar reports as booting still

I have a Linux boot pen drive that I will try tomorrow and see if that works - but I don't hold out much hope 😞

Message 15 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@alanmjackson wrote:

I seem to recall that there is some form of encryption on the discs? I may have mis-remembered that though.

No encryption on the disks.  What tools were you using?

Message 16 of 18
alanmjackson
Aspirant

I have now got to the position I can access the data 🙂

I've attached both HDD's from my NAS to the SATA cables inside my PC
I think used R-Linux to be able to access the discs. The analysis took about 6 hours, then the file search took another couple, so while it took some time, I have got access to my data.

I think my thought about encryption probably comes down to the different block sizes used by the NAS, so they 'aren't readably in another machine'. Quite true when they are written with non-standard block sizes where I obviously assumed it was some form of encryption.

Looks like a few of my files are gone 😞 but at least most are there

So, I still haven't solved the issue of reinstalling the OS - but that is likely to be for another day now.

Message 17 of 18
StephenB
Guru

After you get all the files, the simplest approach is to do a factory reset and rebuild the NAS.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements