× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to use ReadyNAS 6.10.4 TimeMachine after MacOS upgrade to 11.1 (BigSur)

Weaverita
Apprentice

Unable to use ReadyNAS 6.10.4 TimeMachine after MacOS upgrade to 11.1 (BigSur)

For whatever reason, either something in MacBooks latest operating system upgrade (BigSur 11.1) or in ReadyNAS 6.10.4 does not allow the TimeMachine feature on the RN316xx box to function properly.  I have tried using both AFS and SMB proptocols and neither appear to work.  Any guidance is appreciated.  It appears that the time machine can no longer be found.

Model: RN31664E|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay 6x4TB Enterprise Drive
Message 1 of 9
mdgm
Virtuoso

Re: Unable to use ReadyNAS 6.10.4 TimeMachine after MacOS upgrade to 11.1 (BigSur)

AFP is deprecated, I think. You must use SMB for Time Machine with Big Sur.

Apple has changed things again in Big Sur, I think.

I’m still using an older version of Mac OS.

The ReadyNAS uses BTRFS.

There are some suggestions in e.g. https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/666293

You could try making changes to your smb.conf.overrides file (create it if it does not exist). The location of this file is mentioned in SMB.conf. The overrides file should survive firmware updates, settings changes in the GUI etc.
Message 2 of 9
MRA4258
Aspirant

I have this same problem.  I spent 3+ hours on the phone with Apple support and they conclude that since I can see and communicate with the NAS drive, their system OS is fine.  They say Netgear must revise the firmware to fix what ever gliche is causing it to not complete back-ups.  For the record, it backed up fine in previous OS versions.  Once upgraded to Big Sur, Time Machine starts the back up process, finds the back up drive then stops, displaying that "waiting to complete first backup".  I deleted the back up disk, they refound it, only to have the same result.

Seconday issue: Also, now also getting flodded with e mail warning messages about back up battery low (UPS) and system will shut down, even thogh backup battery is fine and the system never shuts does down.

Netgear help please?

Model: ReadyNAS-3100|ReadyNAS-3100
Message 3 of 9
Weaverita
Apprentice

I have an open case with Apple as a regression from Apple Catalina 10.15.7 (where this works perfectly) to Apple Big Sur 11.1 (and not fixed in 11.2).  Apple engineers have collected trace data and working under the assumption that this is this is a regression in their code base.  Watch this space for more information.  

Message 4 of 9
MRA4258
Aspirant

Not sure how my posting about having the same problem (still unresolved) got posted as a "solution" to this issue.  As I mentioned, Apple tech (elevated to level 3) said it on the Netgear firmware side.  THey did have previous reports of the condition, but they believe that since the Mac can see the NAS the back up completion must be on the Netgear side.  Frakly, I don't care whose side its on, I just need it resolved.  Same with the UPS false shoutdoen warnings.

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@MRA4258 wrote:

Not sure how my posting about having the same problem (still unresolved) got posted as a "solution" to this issue. 

Me either, but I undid that for you.

Message 6 of 9
mebelingau
Aspirant

Same issue - is unresolved for me also. with 6.10.4 and Big Sur

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 7 of 9
MRA4258
Aspirant

OK, so it's been a month since the time machine/ReadyNAS malfunction.  I am now on Big Sur 11.2.3 and ready NAS 6.10.4 Hotfix1 and nothing has changed.  My system still keeps trying to back up on schedule but always stalls out with "Waiting to complete first backup" I will reiterate that every worked fine previously,

I will also re-terate the secondary issue that ReadyNAS constantly thinks my UPS battery is low and is threatening sutdown.  Sometimes I get a barage of emails with the warning, other times they just accumulate in the log.

NETGEAR: When can we expect a fix?

Message 8 of 9
Weaverita
Apprentice

I have regression tested the current version of the ReadyNAS software (6.10.4 HotFix 1) with the Older MacBook Catilna 10.15.7 (the version before Big Sur 11.2.2) and everything works fine on Catilana.  I have also tested the latest level of Windowz and everything seems to work fine on the ReadyNAS system.  The combination that does not appear to be working well Big Sur with several of the NetGear apps including TimeMachine and SHARE Discovery regardless of how open I declare the permission level (i.e. none).

I am have been working with Apple developers since December 2020 that this is a code regression in Big Sur (not the ReadyNAS firmware).  Am I barking up the wrong tree?   Help me out here.

Model: RN31664D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay 6x4TB Desktop Drive
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements