× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unresponsive ReadyNAS 314

SpenceC
Aspirant

Unresponsive ReadyNAS 314

Hi, I have two ReadyNAS 314 units both were running fine until the other day. One has now decided to keep going unresponsive and to bring it back to life I have to remove the power and boot back up. I have been trying to troubleshoot but have been struggling as each time I now work on it it goes unresponsive and so the cycle begins of bouncing. I have noted snapshots were enabled which I have disabled but it seem to struggle to remove snapshots and I have seen the out of memory on the LED Display. Its got plenty of room and is running 6.5 firmware. My question is what could be doing this? Logs reveal nothing! Can I remove the disks out of one unit and simply place into the other that hasnt had issues....is the config of shares apps settings etc held in memory? I appreciate any help you can suggest.

Thanks

Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Re: Unresponsive ReadyNAS 314

There's a 4 GB OS partition on the disks that holds linux, the readynas application, and the configuration files.

If both systems have the same firmware installed, you can shut down, migrate the disks (preserving slot order).  If the problem doesn't move with the disks, then it must be something going on with your hardware.

What firmware are you running?

Have you checked disk health (ideally looking at disk_info.log in the zip file).  How about OS partiton fullness?

What apps and services do you have running?

Message 2 of 12
SpenceC
Aspirant

Unfortunately one is 6.5 (Faulty one) and the other is 6.9 so I presume I should try to upgrade the 6.5 one before moving the disks.

I have next to nothing running as I am just using them to house files and no AV no apps etc....

Message 3 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can send the logs in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig if you like).

The working unit having newer firmware shouldn't be an issue. What can be an issue sometimes is if the unit your moving to is running much older firmware.

Note that the RN314 came with a 5 year limited hardware warranty for the original purchaser from the date of purchase if purchased from an authorised reseller. So if it does turn out to be hardware failure depending on when you purchased it it may still be under warranty.

Message 4 of 12
SpenceC
Aspirant

I am trying to remove the snapshots (I have 32) just in case its the accumulation of those but each time I try the NAS eventually goes unresponsive and I get the welcome page "Conecting to the ReadyNAS Admin Page" and keeps trying to load! Is the deletion of snapshots a large task for the NAS? I have also noted for some reason each time I reboot it the setting of Never snapshot is set back to daily!

Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@SpenceC wrote:

Is the deletion of snapshots a large task for the NAS? I have also noted for some reason each time I reboot it the setting of Never snapshot is set back to daily!

It can be a big task.  But I think there's something else wrong.  Not being able to change the configuration is one sign of that.

I suggest emailing the logs as @mdgm-ntgr suggests. 

Message 6 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you have quotas enabled on your data volume?

If you do you'll see the space consumed by snapshots on the volume tab (one can also tell by looking at btrfs.log in the logs).

If you have a lot of snapshots then it might be advisable to try disabling quotas at the data volume level before trying to delete snapshots. Though as you can't change the configuration it'd probably be best for you to send the logs in as the next step.

Message 7 of 12
SpenceC
Aspirant

Hi @mdgm I have the logs zipped but the log link on your reply doesnt seem to work, can I email them to you?

Message 8 of 12
SpenceC
Aspirant

Logs Now sent!

Message 9 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your btrfs.log shows a lot of metadata

=== filesystem /data ===
Data, single: total=5.16TiB, used=5.16TiB
System, DUP: total=8.00MiB, used=608.00KiB
System, single: total=4.00MiB, used=0.00B
Metadata, DUP: total=27.50GiB, used=26.47GiB
Metadata, single: total=8.00MiB, used=0.00B
GlobalReserve, single: total=512.00MiB, used=416.00KiB

If you boot to volume read-only mode (a boot menu option) are you able to update the firmware?

Then once it's up on the newer firmware try disabling quotas on the data volume.

Message 10 of 12
SpenceC
Aspirant

Firmware upgraded to latest version and it seems much quicker and is removing the snapshots etc.....

Can you tell me how to disable quotas and will it in any way affect my current data on the disks?

Thanks

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

You disable quotas on the volume setting wheel (on the volume tab).  It has no effect on the files.  You will see less information on the share page (particularly snapshot space used per share).

After you're done with the snapshot deletions, I suggest running a balance (also done on the volume setting wheel).  That should reduce the metadata that @mdgm-ntgr mentioned.  It could take a while though.

I leave quotas on in my X86 NAS.  I don't use the "smart" snapshots because there's no max retention setting - in other words, I don't find them to be smart enough.  I use custom snapshots, and I set a retention limit on each share.  Then the oldest snapshots are automatically deleted.  I also set up a maintenance schedule via the volume settings wheel - running each maintenance task once every three months.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements