× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Updating Plex failed, can't start, can't be removed

StandardUser
Aspirant

Updating Plex failed, can't start, can't be removed

Hi,

I am using a RN312 with Firmware 6.2.3
I had Plex from the Netgear Apps site freshly installed and it worked so far.

Now I tried to update Plex to the newest release.

What happened:
1. I downloaded "plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries_0.9.12.0.1071-7b11cfc_amd64.deb" from the Plex site.
2. I stopped the existing Plex service on the "installed Apps" page by turning the switch to OFF.
3. I used the upload button to manually upload the the new revision to the NAS.
4. After a minute, I got "Failed to install application 'C:\Users\name\Downloads\plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries_0.9.12.0.1071-7b11cfc_amd64.deb'."
5. I restarted the NAS.
6. I tried to remove the application but without success. The message "It can take a few minutes" never disappeared.

Now I got a few questions:
a) Can that be fixed without factory reset and restoring 3TB of backup? If so, how?
b) If there is an App installed on the NAS (e.g. Plex), what is the correct update procedure without running into trouble?
c) Is it not possible to automate the Apps update process?
c) Is it actually a good idea to install Apps on a device which is supposed to work reliable?

The first question is btw. the most important one.

Thanks
Message 1 of 21
dsm1212
Apprentice

I usually take all plex updates and they go fine. I just downloaded 0.9.12 a few minutes ago, did the upload (didn't bother stopping plex) and it updated. I hit refresh on the apps window. Plex was off. I turned it on. It took a few minutes before it was fully running the first time again. Based on the date of your post it looks like you actually grabbed the plex update before it was announced an hour later in the forum. You never know maybe you grabbed a bad file. At this point I'd reboot the NAS. You'll either then have Plex running or not. Either way download the plex deb file again and just do an upload to install it. Hopefully whatever was locked up will have been cleared by the reboot.

steve
Message 2 of 21
StandardUser
Aspirant

Thanks Steve!

Rebooting and re-installing the downloaded update didn't help.

However, I downloaded the update again from the Plex site, uploaded it to the NAS and the installation was successful.
Even the data base was still there.

I did not compare the earlier and the later downloaded updates on binary level but the file sizes are identical. I am wondering what actually caused the hiccups.

Cheers,
StandardUser
Message 3 of 21
ukbobboy
Luminary

Dear Forum Members

As a Plex Media user, I keep an eye on the Plex forum and someone there was also complaining about the latest update failing on his RN 516.

I am now inclined to wait before installing PMS 0.9.12.x on my Duo v2, just to see if any potential problems shake loose.

UK Bob
Message 4 of 21
applesandsynths
Aspirant

Hey UK Bob, do you have a link for the post on the Plex forum? I'm also having this issue on a ReadyNAS Pro 6 running 6.2.4
Message 5 of 21
ukbobboy
Luminary

Hi applesandsynths

The URL you want is this:

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/159966-upgrade-failed-now-cant-run-or-remove-plex-server-from...

You should also check out a few other posts just in case a solution has been posted under another topic.

UK Bob
Message 6 of 21
applesandsynths
Aspirant

Seems like since upgrading to 6.2.4, both my Ultra 2 Plus and Pro 6 ReadyNAS devices can't install or remove apps from Frontview. I've tried countless times on both. Anyone else experiencing this? When I try removing an app, the page reloads and yet the app remains. When I try installing the Plex update, I get "failed to install application"
Message 7 of 21
Korky
Aspirant

bump! I'm also getting the same issue.

First installed Firmware 6.2.4 and then straight away installed plex 0.9.12 now cant start the plex server. Has anyone else experienced or more importantly been able to resolve this issue?

The logs show "failed to install application 'plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries_0.9.12.1.1079-b655370_amd64.deb'. " 😞
Message 8 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you comfortable with SSH?

What happens if you try to install the deb via

# wget URL
# dpkg -i filename.deb

Where the URL is the URL of the deb.
Message 9 of 21
Korky
Aspirant

anyone notice my previous post has "amd64" in the file name? I've just gone and downloaded the intel x6 version again (which is what i thought I downloaded in the first place), and i get the same result e.g. file name " plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries_0.9.12.1.1079-b655370_amd64.deb"

I think the link on https://plex.tv/downloads may be offering the wrong version of the software ?

When I download the intel x4 version I get the following file name.
PlexMediaServer-0.9.12.1.1079-b655370-i686.bin.

Notice the "i686" in the file name. I wonder if that has anything to do with why it didn't install correctly

For ARM x6 i get the following file:

plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries_0.9.12.1.1079-b655370_armel.deb
Message 10 of 21
itsjasper
Luminary

AMD64 is the correct version (running it on my ReadyNAS Pro), just slightly misnamed by having the rival manufacturer in the name. More commonly known as x64.

i686 is for 32 bit Intel architecture, aka x86. though historically, the '86' refers to the 8086 / 80x86 family of CPUs which started out as 16 bit (so it can be argued that both conventions are practically misnomers!)

Further reading here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64
Message 11 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You need the amd64 deb file for OS6 x86_64 units.

If you try installing it via SSH it should tell you why it is failing to install on your system.
Message 12 of 21
applesandsynths
Aspirant

Hey mdgm,

I can confirm that installing via SSH works. When trying via Frontview, it continues to fail every time with "failed to install application 'plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries_0.9.12.1.1079-b655370_amd64.deb'. "

It's actually not just Plex, but any .deb I try installing via Frontview. They all fail since upgrading to 6.2.4.
Message 13 of 21
Korky
Aspirant

I managed to uninstall plex and then install a previous version e.g 0.9.11 of plex. I then used the automatic built in update feature via the plex app itself and this has resolved the problem 🙂
Message 14 of 21
applesandsynths
Aspirant

Interesting. I tried the same thing and although I was able to install the old plex through SSH, I can never update it through the app. It always advises to install manually. I also still can't uninstall apps from Frontview, it has to be done manually through SSH as well.

Have you tried to install a .deb for another app through Frontview again to see if the problem persists?
Message 15 of 21
Korky
Aspirant

Which app would you like me to install. via the available apps or manually?
Message 16 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

applesandsynths can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?
Message 17 of 21
applesandsynths
Aspirant

Korky, I can't install any apps from the "Available Apps" section. They all fail with: "Application list may be missing or obsolete". So I guess if you're able to install any, that would be more than I can do at present and would be helpful to know. Also, if you try to manually install the latest version of Plex via the Upload button, I'd like to see if it's working now for you.

mdgm, I went ahead and emailed the logs as outlined in your signature. Thanks for helping. Much appreciated.
Message 18 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I see you have done an

# apt-get upgrade

We don't recommend doing that. Sounds like your use of SSH has resulted in this problem.
Message 19 of 21
applesandsynths
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply.

I had previously followed a guide which outlined doing this:

sudo echo 'deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy non-free deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates non-free deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile wheezy/volatile non-free' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wheezy.non-free.list

When I would previously do an apt-get update, it would throw up an error. I removed wheezy.non-free.list from /etc/apt/sources.list.d and deleted another app I had previously manually installed (htop) and it appears as though doing an apt-get update works now, and I can install apps again from the Apps tab and Available Apps.

Can you please elaborate on why I should avoid doing apt-get upgrade ?
Message 20 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It may work fine, but if we happen to miss pinning something you might upgrade a package that you shouldn't. There are certain packages kept on old versions for a reason.

It is safer to just install what you need rather than blindly upgrade as much as possible.
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements