× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upgrade Readynas Pro 6

SamirD
Prodigy

Thank you for the insights.  AES isn't available in any of the lga775 processors afaik, so a processor upgrade won't help with that.

Message 26 of 46
SamirD
Prodigy

The x3230 is basically a q6700 with performance almost like a q9400:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Xeon-X3230-vs-Intel-Core2-Quad-Q6700-vs-Intel-Core2-Quad-...

Message 27 of 46
viperhansa
Virtuoso

@CJDEN 

Yes, i'm using stock fans.

@CJDEN wrote:

I was also considering the 3230. Are you using the Stock fans?

@SamirD 

I just picked  my cpu from some old project i had..

Fastest possible with the lowest TDP... 95W against 105 on the q6700.

I can't remember the cache size but i think it's a bit larger on the 3230.

Message 28 of 46
StephenB
Guru

@SamirD wrote:

Thank you for the insights.  AES isn't available in any of the lga775 processors afaik, so a processor upgrade won't help with that.

The encryption is done in software, so the processor upgrade will speed it up.  

Message 29 of 46
SamirD
Prodigy

Yep, a faster processor will definitely speed up things, but since there are no dedicated AES instructions in the cpu, the software can't take advantage of that (if it is even written for that).

Message 30 of 46
Igor_d
Aspirant

Good day @viperhansa 

Are you running the X3230 on the ReadyNAS Pro 6?
I want to upgrade ram up to 8gb on my RNDP6350.
Could you suggest the exact model of the DDR2 RAM?

Message 31 of 46
viperhansa
Virtuoso

@Igor_d 

Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
CPU(s): 4
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-3
Thread(s) per core: 1
Core(s) per socket: 4
Socket(s): 1
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
CPU family: 6
Model: 15
Model name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3230 @ 2.66GHz
Stepping: 11
CPU MHz: 2659.863
BogoMIPS: 5319.72
Virtualization: VT-x
L1d cache: 32K
L1i cache: 32K
L2 cache: 4096K

What kind of memorymodules  i use i cannot remember, except it's a matched pair of 4GB crucial. (2x4GB)

Not at home so i cannot check.

regards

Hansa

Message 32 of 46
StephenB
Guru

I don't think Crucial is making 4 GB DDR2 modules anymore (at least they aren't on their website). Finding compatible 2 GB modules is much easier (and cheaper).  Note you can't use high-density modules (often labeled as "AMD").

Several years ago I went with Patriot PSD28G800K, which has worked well.  But there's not much out there, and it is quite expensive at the moment.

I think this will work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Tech-8GB-2-x-4GB-PC2-6400-Desktop-DDR2-800-MHz-240pin-DIMM-Memory-RAM-8G-...

Hopefully @Sandshark will chime in.

Message 33 of 46
viperhansa
Virtuoso

I don't think Crucial is making 4 GB DDR2 modules anymore (at least they aren't on their website). Finding compatible 2 GB modules is much easier (and cheaper).  Note you can't use high-density modules (often labeled as "AMD").

Several years ago I went with Patriot PSD28G800K, which has worked well.  But there's not much out there, and it is quite expensive at the moment.

I think this will work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Tech-8GB-2-x-4GB-PC2-6400-Desktop-DDR2-800-MHz-240pin-DIMM-Memory-RAM-8G-...

Hopefully @Sandshark will chime in.

@StephenB
Was a long time ago i upgraded so that is possibly true..  🙂

Message 34 of 46
Sandshark
Sensei

That RAM does not say if it is 2Rx8 (low density) or 2Rx4 (high density).  But based on the chip count, I think it's low density and will work.

But you will see almost no improvement from 4GB to 8GB unless you are running a number of memory-intensive apps, so the expense is something you should really evaluate.

Message 35 of 46
SamirD
Prodigy

If you could find out those crucial part numbers, that would be really great.  Even though it may not be possible to buy them new, I'm sure they would turn up at a reasonable cost in the used market since no one would know they were special.

Message 36 of 46
SamirD
Prodigy

Thank you for that Patriot part number--seems like those are available on ebay used. 🙂

Message 37 of 46
SamirD
Prodigy

In my experience it's next to impossible to find 4gb modules that are low density.  I have some high density modules and when I tried them each only showed up as either 128mb or 256mb.

But even just as a basic nas unit, memory increases improve performance quite a bit.  After moving to just 4gb of memory, mine now maxes out gigabit easily.  And I've checked top when I've ssh'd in and the memory is being utilized too, mainly for caching and buffers, which would hellp with performance boosts.

Message 38 of 46
Igor_d
Aspirant

Many thanks at all!

Message 39 of 46
Igor_d
Aspirant

I have tested two different ram modules.

(4GB) It didn't work:

Samsung.png

(2GB) It works:

Plexhd.png

Message 40 of 46
SamirD
Prodigy

Can't see the pictures.  I would try those patriot modules since they are known to work.

Message 41 of 46
Igor_d
Aspirant

M395T5160QZ4-CF7  4GB

It didn't work.

PLEXHD PC2-6400-CL6 2GB
It works.

I can't say anything about the Patriot.

Message 42 of 46
StephenB
Guru

@SamirD wrote:

Can't see the pictures.  I would try those patriot modules since they are known to work.

They've been running for some years in my Pro-6.

I did a little googling on this forum, and here are the options posted here (that users reported worked):

• Patriot PGS28G6400ELK
  • Patriot PSD24G8002
  • Patriot PSD28G800K
  • Hynix HMP351U6AFR8C-S6

There likely are more at the old forum site ( www.readynas.com/forum ), but that is only on wayback now, and you can't search it.

Message 43 of 46
Sandshark
Sensei

The M395T5160QZ4-CF7 is registered memory, which does not work.

Message 44 of 46
SamirD
Prodigy

Thank you for posting these. 🙂  I looked up my notes and apparently there are some particular gskill modules that work as well.  I'll see if I can't find the part numbers.

Message 45 of 46
Sandshark
Sensei

I have sucessfully used GSkill and OCZ.  Frankly, as long as you pay attention to the specs (like avoiding the registered one listed above), I've not found anything that doesn't unless it's just a bad stick.

Message 46 of 46
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 45 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements