× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrade failed on RN102

leToff_54
Aspirant

Re: Upgrade failed on RN102

So I'm back on track after those sad events.
Unfortunately I tried the USBRecovery without any success. After booting on the USB key the NAS power off. If I switch it on again I see the same exact problem.
What's the alternative now except throwing the NAS through the window ? 😉
Message 26 of 42
leToff_54
Aspirant

Problem solved by mdgm.

A big thanks to him.
Message 27 of 42
leToff_54
Aspirant

Just to mention that I now also face the problem of NAS freezing. 😞
Message 28 of 42
studeimus
Aspirant

'fraid I have to me-too on this one... Had RN102 for a few weeks... it just offered an upgrade (released approx 9-Mar) which I accepted. Basically the same as the OP reported. Now unit has flashing power led. Can't see on http(s).

Now digging around for the likes of raidar...

I wonder why mdgm can't just post the solution here, rather than pm'ing it individually.

Anyway, I'll get the raidar info and return here shortly...

😐
Message 29 of 42
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The fix I did has to be done manually at this time.
Message 30 of 42
studeimus
Aspirant

hmm, so assuming my system is borked due to post-upgrade os/boot issues, and that my system config is quite trivial (and that I want to rename the admin user anyway), I'm now expecting to need to take the os reinstall path, since I don't want the data on the single storage drive messed with at this point.

Any tips before I do this? Eg. I'm guessing there are numerous others out there with the same problem... perhaps there is a known fix, or just "yep, its borked so do the reinstall"?

I'm not even sure what the new firmware would have been - the latest firmware for rn102 at readynas.com is V6.2.2 from 24-Dec-2014... which I expect I was already running.

Also, re factory reset (effecting disk reinit)... if I were to commence a factory reset with the internal hdd removed, would it then happily resume operation with that drive if I insert it after the factory reset had completed? I don't think my drive is stuffed... just the OS on the internal flash drive. Could be wrong.

Stu.
Message 31 of 42
StephenB
Guru

The OS is on the hard drive (it is on flash, but not run from flash). "Factory reset" means do a clean factory install on the drives. So it is not possible to do a factory reset w/o drives inserted.

I think there will be issues with frontview if you attempt to rename the admin account.
Message 32 of 42
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I assume you see TFTP_REQ in RAIDar?: http://www.readynas.com/downloads
Message 33 of 42
studeimus
Aspirant

Umm, I wish I could say yes or no... but I was unable to get raidar installed... didn't like the JRE I installed for the task. Does raidar require JRE 1.6 or something? I was installing latest JRE 1.7.

Stu.
Message 34 of 42
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try RAIDar beta: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=80240

This will work with the latest Java.
Message 35 of 42
studeimus
Aspirant

Thanks, will do.

Stu.
Message 36 of 42
studeimus
Aspirant

Are you able to PM me the process to follow if I do find the TFTP_REQ status? I hope to be toying with this tonight... about 7.5 hours from now.

Thanks, Stu.
Message 37 of 42
studeimus
Aspirant

Update: mdgm remoted into my system and fixed it no probs. No data loss. All good now, thanks 🙂
Message 38 of 42
Napadave
Aspirant

not sure why the fix for this is a secret.  I've tried http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29952 and it still doesn't work, any other ideas?

Message 39 of 42
AlexPe
NETGEAR Expert

Napadave,

Can you tell me what exactly did not work? Is the device still not booting? Which image did you use? Which upgrade did you go to when this issue happened?

Also please try a different USB or try formatting the USB as fat32 prior to running going through the recovery.

Alex

Message 40 of 42
Napadave
Aspirant

The USB stick seems to have set up correctly. Step six "USB Booting your ReadyNAS" seems to be not working. I used "ReadyNASOS-6.4.0-arm.img" which is the same firmware I attempted to load when the box bricked. The USB stick is formatted FAT32 (its a sandisk cruzer).  What else you got?

Message 41 of 42
AlexPe
NETGEAR Expert

Can you walk me through the process you followed and what the behaviour of the lights on the system are?

Did you try different USB ports in the back vs the front or vice versa?

Message 42 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements