× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrade from ReadyNAS Duo to Ultra 2

bluewhite41
Aspirant

Upgrade from ReadyNAS Duo to Ultra 2

I currently have a ReadyNAS Duo with two Seagate ST31500341AS 1.5TB drives installed. I'm at 75% capacity, so am thinking about upgrading. What would be the recommended procedure to upgade to a ReadyNAS Ultra 2, so that I might install larger hard drives down the road. Can I just move the disks and all my data will be intact? (It can't be that simple..)

Also, need to go to OS X Lion for software, so would like to get Time Machine back as well.

Thanks!
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Upgrade from ReadyNAS Duo to Ultra 2

You can't migrate your disks across from a Sparc ReadyNAS (e.g. Duo) to an x86 ReadyNAS (e.g. NVX, Ultra, Pro). See http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_migrate_disks_over_from_an_existing_readynas_to_another

You'll need to transfer your data e.g. across your network.

There will be an update to Sparc ReadyNAS adding Mac OS X Lion support so you may not need to upgrade to an x86 ReadyNAS yet.

x86 ReadyNAS have Mac OS X Lion support in RAIDiator x86 4.2.18 (or later).

Welcome to the forum!
Message 2 of 4
bluewhite41
Aspirant

Thanks for the link.

I realize that Lion support for the Duo will come, but my thinking is that I'm going to need the space sooner rather than later, so maybe now is the time...Especially since the Duo is now the more dated of the two products.
Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well yes, it could be the time now.

I'd buy new disks from the HCL

Put one disk in the ReadyNAS, update to 4.2.18, then power down, put all the disks in and do a factory reset via the Boot Menu (http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu)

Edit: Personally I'd recommend getting a 4-bay ReadyNAS or a 6-bay, not a 2-bay. You don't need to fill it now. You could start out with a couple of disks and add more later.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements