× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upgrade from Ultra6 (6x2TB) running OS 6 to RN426 (6x4TB)

JanHussaarts2
Apprentice

Upgrade from Ultra6 (6x2TB) running OS 6 to RN426 (6x4TB)

Hi all,

A couple of days ago I bought a RN426. Yesterday I ordered 6x4TB HD's.

I have an Ultra6 with 6x2TB running OS 6.

I want to move all my applications and data from the Ultra 6 to the new RN426 and after that start using the Ultra 6 as a backup for the RN436.

What is the simplest way to achieve this?

Best regards,

Jan Hussaarts

Model: RN426|ReadyNAS 426 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 6-Bays
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
JanHussaarts2
Apprentice

I do not have the space to do a backup. That is why I will keep the Ultra 6. It will serve as a store for the backup of the RN426. Taking that into account, I should probably do a clean install.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 13

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

By "applications", do you mean apps that run  on the NAS, or applications stored on it that are executed by a PC?

Moving NAS app data is a bit complicated and depends on the app, so please list them if that's what you are referring to.  You can't move the apps themselves, you have to re-install them on the new NAS.  Whether you can move the data depends on how it's stored.

Other than the apps, the best thing is to save the configuration on the old NAS and restore it on the new one.  If you've configured a static IP, you'll needd to take the old one offline or change it's address before you restore on the new one, or they will conflict with each other.

If you do have apps, you should re-install them before restoring the saved configuration.  But that does not move any data associated with the apps will be restored, just some configuration items.

To move the bulk of the data, set up backup jobs for each share.  RSYNC is the best protocol to insure all file permissions are also moved over.  Home folders need to be addresed differently if you use them.

There is a really slow way to accomplish what you want if you don't need the old NAS to retain the data.  With power off, move all the drives from the old one to the new.  After it boots, replace the drives one at a time (with power on is best), allowing each to sync and expand as necessary.  When you are done with all six drives, the old ones will not be in sync, so you can't just put them back in the old NAS and have them work.  But you can put them in there and start over with it.  I personally don't like this option, as it moves any potential issues from one NAS to the other, too.

Message 2 of 13
JanHussaarts2
Apprentice

Yes, I mean apps runnig. E.g. Owncloud, MySQL, NZBGet, PHP 7.0, Gittea, ...

The last option looks attractive.

What I do not like about is, is the time it would take,

Is there a guarantee that I will not destroy the original disks when I put them in the RN426?

Or should I try to build the new drives on the utlra 6?

I could also install the apps on the new machine. The only thing I consider cumbersome is Owncloud.

It has some of its data in the SQL database. Ans I would like it to stay up and running for as long as possible.

Isn't there some kind of migrate from old to new function that preserves the old disks and copies everything to the new NAS / disks? Including the software. E.g. something like an image copy of a diskdrive?

Model: RN426|ReadyNAS 426 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 6-Bays
Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@JanHussaarts2 wrote:

Is there a guarantee that I will not destroy the original disks when I put them in the RN426?

I don't know about guarantees.  But migration has worked quite well with OS-6.  I do suggest either matching the OS version on the two NAS before you begin, or alternatively upgrading the Ultra to 10.6.3 before you migrate.

Expanding the volume on the Ultra will probably take longer than expanding it on the RN426.

It is wise to have a backup before you migrate (or manipulate disks).

While I take @Sandshark's point on the benefits of starting out clean on the new system, if you have a lot of apps it's probably simpler to migrate the disks.

Message 4 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

The SQL databases used by some of those apps are difficult to migrate.  I've moved more than one OS6 volume from an upgraded legacy NAS to a native OS6 one and have not seen a problem.  I didn't do it to an ARM based syustem, but neither are you.

The Ultra is only capable of SATAII and has a slower processor, so moving the volujme to the 426 before replaciong the disks should be faster.  Maybe not a lot faster, since the spinning drives can't keep up with SATA3, though the cache can, and the dfaster processor will definately help.

I did fail to mention that this method means you should make a backup first (if you don't already have one).  It's going to put a lot of strain on your drives, and if one or more are close to failure, this could push them over the edge.

Message 5 of 13
JanHussaarts2
Apprentice

I do not have the space to do a backup. That is why I will keep the Ultra 6. It will serve as a store for the backup of the RN426. Taking that into account, I should probably do a clean install.

Message 6 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

If everything is stored in the appropriate subdiirectory of /apps, then you can copy the data from one NAS to the other.  If you use the admin credentials to connect, you can see the /apps share.  Since you will still have the old NAS running the apps, it's worth trying.  If it fails to work properly, you can always uninstall and re-install the app to get a clean start.  One issue here is that the contents of /apps noramlly belong to root, and copying in this way will make the opes on the taget NAS belong to admin.  Whether that will make a difference depends on the app.

If you are adept at the Linux CLI via SSH, then using an rsync command would be best, as it can retain all file attributes and root ownership.  With a CLI command, you can use RSYNC to copy things in shares that the ReadyNAS does not support with an RSYNC server.  Just Google it, it's standard Linux.

Make sure you install the same version of all apps and copy the data before you restore the configuration from the old NAS and do both before you attempt to run any of them.  There may be some configuration files outside of the /apps folder that the configuration backup should copy..

When you are done, we'd love to hear of your success or failure with specific apps so others can learn from your experience.

Message 7 of 13
JanHussaarts2
Apprentice

The drives will come in next week. Currently I'm cleaning up the Ultra 6. Writing a program that cleans up music, photo's and other files that are more than once stored on the NAS. Then I'll use the program to move the remaining stuff to new folders on the new NAS. The only thing that bothers me is Owncloud. Some of my children are using that to remotely backup / sync folders to my NAS. Maybe I should get rid of Owncloud and use Netgear sync stuff. I am using owncloud as a caldav (callender and connections) host. I would have to use something else for that.

Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@JanHussaarts2 wrote:

The only thing that bothers me is Owncloud. 

You can purchase a supported installation for the app from rnxtras.com for €2.99 here: https://rnxtras.com/addons/owncloud-9-r6all

You can also get nextcloud there.

Message 9 of 13
JanHussaarts2
Apprentice

I'm already using his version of OwnCloud. Have been so for years. That does not make the migration more easy.

Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@JanHussaarts2 wrote:

I'm already using his version of OwnCloud. Have been so for years. 

FWIW, I wouldn't personally shift to ReadyCloud.

Message 11 of 13
JanHussaarts2
Apprentice

I'm glad you made that remark.Smiley Very Happy

FWIW, I wouldn't personally shift to ReadyCloud

Message 12 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

@JanHussaarts2 wrote:

I'm already using his version of OwnCloud. Have been so for years. That does not make the migration more easy.

Actually, it should, as he knows all the data goes in /apps, not the root partition.  OwnCloud uses MySQL for it's databases, I believe.  Perhaps a post on his forum (well, blog, whatever it is) will get someone's attention that knows for sure how to migrate the database.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements