× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrade time??

fitwizard
Tutor

Upgrade time??

ReadyNAS Duo V2

2 x Western Digital WD20EURS-73TLHY0 2TB drives

Flex-RAID (non redundant)

Installed mesh-wifi at home and internet speed is now awesome, but streaming movies from the ReadyNAS still pauses sometimes while it buffers content.

(actually accessing the files/folders on the ReadyNAS has always been intermittently slow, but not having experience of any other systems I just assumed it was normal)

I read somewhere that the Western Digital Green drives were not ideal for NAS as they parked their heads too often.

Is this the case or is it just time to upgrade to something newer as it's almost 10 years old now?

Are the new NAS boxes (with more RAM etc) a lot faster?

Any recommendations?

Model: RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Upgrade time??

@Sandshark wrote:

While green drives are not ideal for a NAS, they should not try and park while you are streaming from them, so I don't think that's your problem. 

I agree.  Also, the load cycle count for both drives is 0.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@fitwizard wrote:

ReadyNAS Duo V2

Are you running 4.1.x firmware or 5.3.x firmware?

@fitwizard wrote:

Are the new NAS boxes (with more RAM etc) a lot faster?

Yes. 

Though the Duo should be capable of streaming - which doesn't require as much horsepower as many people think.  You might want to download the log zip file file and look at the smart stats for the two disks.  A failed (or failing) drive will slow the NAS down a lot.

ReadyNAS inventory is scarce (and there are some rumors out there that Netgear is abandoning the ReadyNAS line).  Whether that's true or not, I suggest looking at all your options (including other manufacturers) - otherwise you might end up spending a lot more than necessary.

Message 2 of 6
fitwizard
Tutor

Hi Stephen,

Firmware is RAIDiator 5.3.13

Downloaded the logs but I have no idea what to look for.

Here it is shared on OneDrive: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aifn-RcrJzHHiZUeycX2TeRdjpCssw?e=9EJmvo

Thanks for your help (again 🙂

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

FWIW, you shouldn't post the full log zip file, as there is some privacy leakage.  However, you didn't do that Smiley Happy

I'm not seeing any recent issues with the disks.  There were some ATA errors at around 20K power-on hours, but nothing after that, and you are up to 60K hours now.  There could also be other disk errors that are causing the stalls - they'd be system.log or kernel.log.  You can send me a private message (PM) via the envelope link with a onedrive link to the full log zip if you'd like me to take a quick look.  (Note: I don't own a v2, so I don't have any hands-on experience with that particular model).

Assuming no issues in the other logs - If it were my NAS, I'd leave the disks alone - but I do have a backup plan in place, so my data is not at risk even if multiple disks fail.

You could be running into memory constraints - particularly if you have a large library.  Are you streaming over wifi to your players, or do they use ethernet?

Message 4 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

While green drives are not ideal for a NAS, they should not try and park while you are streaming from them, so I don't think that's your problem.  The lower rotation speed is also not likely the issue, as your older NAS has other factors that are likely the limiting factors.  Is the device on which you are viewing connected via hardwire or WiFi?

Given the age of your NAS and that it does not suport the latest security protocols, you probably should start thinking about a replacement.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

While green drives are not ideal for a NAS, they should not try and park while you are streaming from them, so I don't think that's your problem. 

I agree.  Also, the load cycle count for both drives is 0.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements