× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgraded my RN214 to 6.10.3 and now all the apps have vanished

JackDaniels
Aspirant

Upgraded my RN214 to 6.10.3 and now all the apps have vanished

As the title states, I upgraded my RN214 to 6.10.3 and now all the apps have vanished. I primarily used it as a Plex Media Centre so attempted to re-add PLEX using the latest download from the website - plexmediaserver-annapurna_1.19.3.2843-e3c1f7bcd_armel.deb but that fails to install.

Shares still work OK at present so data is still accessible.

Doing a Factory Reset is the last resort as there is considerable data I would have to first have to re-home.

TIA.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Upgraded my RN214 to 6.10.3 and now all the apps have vanished

@JohnCM_S wrote:

It is possible that it is Plex. It sometimes leave some files behind when it is transcoding.

It's pretty common actually.

You could try this: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/ReadyNAS-214-System-Volume-root-useage-9...

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 18

All Replies
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JackDaniels,

Welcome to the Community!

You may try first clearing the web browser cache and see if that helps.

If you still have the same issue, you can try doing an OS re-install. Here is the article for the steps in accessing the boot menu and selecting the OS re-install.

Regards,

Message 2 of 18
JackDaniels
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. Does this preserve the data?

Message 3 of 18
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JackDaniels,

Yes, OS re-install will not delete your data. This will reset some settings on your ReadyNAS to default, such as the network settings and the admin password.

Regards,

Message 4 of 18
JackDaniels
Aspirant

Thanks, I have followed those steps but sadly no further forward.

Still no apps showing - installed or others. And still getting the same error when I try to load on PLEX.

Message 5 of 18
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JackDaniels,

May I know the apps that were installed on the unit?

Please also download the NAS system logs then send them to me so we can further check the issue. You can upload it to a file-sharing site then send me the download link via private message.

Regards,

Message 6 of 18
JackDaniels
Aspirant

The only app I am interested in/have been using is Plex. This unit is used as a Media Centre.

I have sent you a PM with the logs.

Thanks.

Message 7 of 18
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JackDaniels,

It looks like the OS partition is already full based on the logs (possibly because of Plex). This could be the cause of the issue.

May 22 12:01:11 U-87 readynasd[2286]: System volume root's usage is 97%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support.

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0        3.7G  3.6G     0 100% /

If you are comfortable in configuring your NAS via SSH, you may seek advice from other Community members on how to free up space on the OS partition. Otherwise, it will be best for you to contact NETGEAR support so they can assist you with this one.

Regards,

Message 8 of 18
JackDaniels
Aspirant

Surely the reinstall of the o/s we did earlier would have resolved this or is it possibly that the base size set by Netgear for the OS partition is now too small and the latest update now exceeds it?

Message 9 of 18
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JackDaniels,

OS re-install will not resolve the full OS partition. The firmware of the NAS also does not take too much space on the OS partition.

Regards,

Message 10 of 18
JackDaniels
Aspirant

Hmm, I wonder if PLEX has been storing data on that partition instead - such as metadata for media.

Message 11 of 18
JackDaniels
Aspirant

I have sent in a support ticket, now we wait. I will update you on the outcome.

Message 12 of 18
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JackDaniels,

It is possible that it is Plex. It sometimes leave some files behind when it is transcoding.

Regards,

Message 13 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@JohnCM_S wrote:

It's pretty common actually.

You could try this: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/ReadyNAS-214-System-Volume-root-useage-9...

Message 14 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

@JohnCM_S wrote:

OS re-install will not resolve the full OS partition. The firmware of the NAS also does not take too much space on the OS partition.

But, an OS update can push an already almost full OS partition to the breaking point.  It has to hold the update file, and each update is typically just a bit larger than the last.  There is also a re-boot, which many don't do very often.

One moral of this story is that a NAS is not a "set and forget" device.  If you don't have email alerts set (and, really, even if you do), you should be "checking in" with the admin GUI occasionally.

Message 15 of 18
JackDaniels
Aspirant

I must have missed the part where the OS partition was visible to be monitored. Main data drives are only at 50% capacity so imagine my surprise when I discover the OS partition is at 100% and the only way that I was able to find that out was through SSH. At no point was there any notification of the OS partition being at capacity or near capacity - either on the device or the web interface.

What am I missing?

Message 16 of 18
JackDaniels
Aspirant

@JackDaniels wrote:

I must have missed the part where the OS partition was visible to be monitored. Main data drives are only at 50% capacity so imagine my surprise when I discover the OS partition is at 100% and the only way that I was able to find that out was through SSH. At no point was there any notification of the OS partition being at capacity or near capacity - either on the device or the web interface.

What am I missing?

Ok, I have solved it! Thanks to @StephenB @JohnCM_S and @Sandshark for their input.

It turns out you do infact get notifications via e-mail when the OS partition is nearing capacity. My problem stemmed from the mail server settings changing and not being updated (my fault) so I missed these alerts. As soon as I fixed this issue, the backlog of notifications exploded my mailbox. - whoops.

After following the steps in the post linked by @StephenB I was able to identify a large quantiy of chunk*.m4s files that were taking up all the space. Once removed I performed an OS reinstall on the device and all my apps reappeared.

The PLEX update had failed to install previously so I re-uploaded it again and everything seems to be ticking over nicely now.

Thanks all for your help and patience.

Message 17 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@JackDaniels wrote:

I was able to identify a large quantiy of chunk*.m4s files that were taking up all the space. Once removed I performed an OS reinstall on the device and all my apps reappeared.

The PLEX update had failed to install previously so I re-uploaded it again and everything seems to be ticking over nicely now.

Great news.

I'm glad we were able to help.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements