× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgraded to 6.2.2 from 6.1.9. Can't enable SMB

Asiel
Aspirant

Upgraded to 6.2.2 from 6.1.9. Can't enable SMB

Nas storage: RN-102

With the 6.2.2 update I can't enable SMB in System/Settings/Services.
Access on windows (windows 7/8) through the network has been lost. It's no longer apart of the network (RN-102 is in the same homegroup, always has been)
I am able to access the files on the RN-102 through Plex media server or Windows media player.

SMB is disabled (grey bar, no green bar). When I click on it, the systems seems to try to enable SMB but eventually nothing happens (this process does not take long, maybe 2 seconds).
I can enable/disable all other services with no issues.

I downloaded 6.2.2 RC1 and installed firmware, but I'm sure if it was successful. I don't remember if there should be a message confirming the upgrade... I did not get a prompt confirming
firmware upgrade. (download link to 6.2.2-RC1 - http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=78866)
I still see 6.2.2 as the installed firmware, should this be 6.2.2-RC1?

How do I enable SMB for windows now?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 42
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Upgraded to 6.2.2 from 6.1.9. Can't enable SMB

Have you tried doing an OS reinstall when you notice the problem after updating to the official FW v6.2.2?

Here is a link as reference guide in doing OS reinstall on RN102: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... -or-312%3F

Is the problem still the same if you tried using other browsers like Firefox or Google Chrome?

Is the problem still the same if you tried using other PCs/laptops?

Do you have a backup of all the data stored in your RN102?
Message 2 of 42
Asiel
Aspirant

It is the same on other Pc's. Can't see the RN-102 on the network.
Issue is the same with both Chrome and Firefox, can't enable SMB.

According to the link (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22892/~/how-do-i-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-readynas-102-or-312%3F), I can reset the RN-102 without erasing any data?
I just need to power down the unit before 10min after booting into normal mode?

No backup of data, so I want to hold off on using reset to factory default for now...
Message 3 of 42
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

An OS Re-install leaves data intact. It resets a few settings e.g. your admin password and some network settings.

A factory default wipes all data, settings, everything
Message 4 of 42
StephenB
Guru

Asiel wrote:
According to the link (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... -or-312%3F), I can reset the RN-102 without erasing any data? I just need to power down the unit before 10min after booting into normal mode?
No, that's not what it says.
If you want to cancel the factory default process, power off the storage system before the 10-minute time-out ends. The system powers down safely without causing any data loss.

No reset happens, because the power-off within 10 minutes cancels it.

The OS reinstall is a different procedure, which doesn't require any powering off within 10 minutes. It's worth a try, but be very careful you don't accidentally do a factory default by mistake.
Message 5 of 42
Asiel
Aspirant

Here's what seems to have worked (I can access the NAS on the windows network again, I've yet to try users with passwords, or installing other apps.)

FIX:
Factory Reset.

I tried normal boots, OS re-install and finally factory reset.
A bit inconvenient, but seems to be working. Currently transferring data back onto the NAS.
The data that needed to be saved was transferred to an external drive via a hard drive dock connected to the esata port of the RN-102.
I did notice the estimated transfer time to complete never changed from 0.
The NAS displayed the time it spent copying, and even when it was clearly finished it's task, it never showed it was finished copying. Eventually I just cancelled because I knew the data was transferred (not large amounts of data, so there is no way it should of taken 3 hours+ and still counting) I even checked the data on a windows PC to verify files did transfer.
I've yet to try and copy files since the factory reset to an external drive, so I'm not sure if that has been fixed.

Also noted, Chrome and Opera browser seem to work better than Firefox. Firefox could never display the estimated time copying files to the external drive, while both Chrome and Opera had no issues displaying that information.

Thanks for your help on this guys.
Much appreciated!
Message 6 of 42
Wagon
Aspirant

Hello,

having here the same problem also in a RN-102. Even though it started only today and the only recent update that happened was the antivirus.
On gnu-linux only the Transmission (torrent download) folder is accessible though.

In anyway, after already doing the OS reinstall with no success (the SMB service continue to be blank and inaccessible), we refuse to format it, at least for now.

So we're considering downgrading the OS firmware to 6.2.1 (already downloaded at http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNASOS_6.2.1-arm.zip).
Is it a risky possibility? Any other idea?

Thank you very much in advance!
Message 7 of 42
Wagon
Aspirant

After realizing a downgrade isn't possible and considering that some conflict between installed apps and the new OS could be happening, we started removing them, first Wordpress, and during the removal it lost connection.

Now it's completely inaccessible. Still connected to the router though. And we just read on another thread that "the procedure to uninstall some apps is broken and leaving some files behind which then interfere with the Apache server in the box." :? and Netgear do not recommend removing apps. :shock:
Message 8 of 42
StephenB
Guru

wagon wrote:
After realizing a downgrade isn't possible and considering that some conflict between installed apps and the new OS could be happening, we started removing them, first Wordpress, and during the removal it lost connection.

Now it's completely inaccessible. Still connected to the router though. And we just read on another thread that "the procedure to uninstall some apps is broken and leaving some files behind which then interfere with the Apache server in the box." :? and Netgear do not recommend removing apps. :shock:
Do you have SSH enabled?

Netgear personnel can restore access, though there might be some support hurdles to jump through. Perhaps wait for mdgm to respond. Given the overall mess this is creating, Netgear should relax their normal policies (just my view, as a user).
Message 9 of 42
Wagon
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply Stephen!

I believe we didn't have enabled Root SSH Access(?).
Over Netgear personnel, you mean they could access it trough the 'Tech support' Boot mode? We tried contact and they seem quite busy. Trough chat there's a message of 'unusual high amount of requests'. Phone is unreachable, at least here in The Netherlands. I suppose also that, since this last update, we should count on their good willing to give support even to those who have it for more than 90 days.

We've found a thread which goes trough the use of putty to try an access:
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=79356&p=447138&hilit=upgrade+to+6.2.2#p447138
Is it why you asked about SSH?
Message 10 of 42
StephenB
Guru

The problem with uninstalling apps is easily fixed via ssh locally (and can be fixed in tech support mode even if ssh isn't enabled). If you have a full backup, you can also unformat the disks, and do a full factory reinstall. A lot of work but the timetable is under your control.

I imagine tech support is extremely busy both on 6.2.x issues and general support to folks who got a ReadyNAS for Christmas.
Message 11 of 42
Wagon
Aspirant

Thank you Stephen,

unfortunately we do not have a full backup so, unless some other option is presented here, we'll keep on trying with Netgear support.
Do you believe we'll need to contract a premium plan?

I hope at least the machine will allow us to set it to Tech Support.

Best regards.
Message 12 of 42
StephenB
Guru

Others in your situation have had their systems repaired remotely by Netgear, I think it will turn out that way for you as well.

I don't know if you'll need paid support or not.
Message 13 of 42
Wagon
Aspirant

Ok.
Thank you again for your availability Stephen!
Message 14 of 42
Asiel
Aspirant

My RN-102 has once again disappeared from the windows network, and it has only been a few weeks since the factory reset.
It's as if it's hidden from the network? It can still be accessed with tablets and cell phones, but no windows pcs.

The 6.1.9 firmware has an option that allowed me to tell the RN-102 what network it should join (I only have 1 network), and firmware 6.2.2 doesn't seem to have that option. I'm looking in Network tab and selecting the "settings" option of the ethernet port.
How would I tell the RN-102 to join the network? Not sure if this will make a difference because I noticed this since I installed the 6.2.2 firmware, and I don't know where this option is now.

Enabling or disabling SMB makes no difference, the RN-102 does not show up on windows anymore...

What else can I try?

Thanks
Message 15 of 42
StephenB
Guru

And what happens if you enter \\nasipaddress in the windows explorer address bar?

I'm not sure what you mean by "network it should join". If you mean the windows workgroup name, that setting is still there (and still in the same place as 6.1.9). Click on the accounts tab, and then authentication.
Message 16 of 42
Wagon
Aspirant

So,

after Netgear support agreement on their responsibility over the remove app issue on OS 6.2.2, our system is restored back to when the problem started. :roll:
Our files are again only accessible via browser. The SMB file system continue to seem impossible to set back to green (we never turned it off before btw) so Windows can't reach the nas. As mentioned before we could access the folders of Transmission app trough GNU/Linux and we still can once it was created on both AFP and SMB and before the update of the OS.

We do not have a full backup and naturally we've tried to set other LUN folders also to AFP with no success (they change but do not appear on GNU/Linux network). Netgear support informed us that the SMB issue is not related to any know cases and asked us to reinstall the OS also offering us a paid support contract; we've already did a OS reinstall before with no effect.

So at the moment, considering that our colleague Asiel is having again the problem even after a Factory default boot, we seem to have no option but to wait for a new OS to be launched.
Or should we count on any other option?
Message 17 of 42
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my signature)?
Message 18 of 42
Wagon
Aspirant

Sended. Thank you!
Message 19 of 42
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Upgraded to 6.2.2 from 6.1.9. Can't enable SMB #24509215

Looking at your logs it sounds like backing up your data and doing a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) and restoring your data from backup would be the best way forward. You last did a factory reset back on 6.0.0

Can your colleague Asiel send in the logs for the other NAS as well?
Message 20 of 42
Wagon
Aspirant

Re: Upgraded to 6.2.2 from 6.1.9. Can't enable SMB #24509215

Thanks for the fast return mdgm,

So it seems no concrete problem was found on the logs.
Backing up our data doesn't seem to be a very feasible option once we don't have network access and I've read here that the built in USB can be very slow for back ups.
In anyway what should be a good method to do it?

Is it a possibility to wait for a new OS?

Greetings

p.s.- I've called Asiel a colleague based on the fact we have the same RN 102 and having the same trouble. Besides that there's no other link.
Message 21 of 42
StephenB
Guru

backup to a locally attached NTFS USB 3.0 drive is ~12.5 MB/s A USB 2.0 drive is about 9 MB/s (http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas- ... 2-reviewed). That's about 1 TB per day with the USB 3.0, and about 750 GB per day with USB 2.0.

How much data do you have?
Message 22 of 42
Wagon
Aspirant

Hello Stephen,

you mean with 'locally attached' the nas usb or a pc usb? We have at the moment around 1.6Tb of data. We are backing up essential stuff trough the only functional AFP folder (Transmission). We copy a folder on the gui and paste it on transmission folder. Then it's accessible on Gnu/linux. The copy is taking less than 1mb/sec on a pc installed hd (not usb). We're planning on buying the WD My Passport Ultra 2Tb which is usb 3.0 anyway.

Thank you.
Message 23 of 42
Wagon
Aspirant

Just to illustrate, here's our problem:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0bgympmt57ua ... -03-29.avi
Message 24 of 42
StephenB
Guru

wagon wrote:
Hello Stephen, you mean with 'locally attached' the nas usb or a pc usb? We have at the moment around 1.6Tb of data. We are backing up essential stuff trough the only functional AFP folder (Transmission). We copy a folder on the gui and paste it on transmission folder. Then it's accessible on Gnu/linux. The copy is taking less than 1mb/sec on a pc installed hd (not usb). We're planning on buying the WD My Passport Ultra 2Tb which is usb 3.0 anyway.
I meant attached to the NAS USB. With 1.6 TB of data and USB 3.0, you should be able to copy your data in less than 2 days. Network backup should be faster than what you are seeing, but of course we know something is seriously wrong. Whatever is slowing your network speeds might also impact USB backup too - the only way to find out is to try it.

BTW, make sure snapshots are not user-visible before you do the USB backup. Alternatively, turn snapshots off and delete all the ones you have on the NAS.

BTW2, it sounds like you have linux skills. It is possible to mount the btrfs data volume on a linux system (if mdadm and btrfs are installed), by attaching one of the RN102 disks to the SMB or USB port of the other linux system. Might be worth considering, it would certainly be faster once you get it set up. You could also look at the OS partition that way.
Message 25 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements