× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgraded to 6.2.2 from 6.1.9. Can't enable SMB

mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Upgraded to 6.2.2 from 6.1.9. Can't enable SMB

Would suggest using a system with at least kernel 3.17.x and corresponding or newer version of btrfs if you are using an ordinary Linux system.
Message 26 of 42
Wagon
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
I meant attached to the NAS USB. With 1.6 TB of data and USB 3.0, you should be able to copy your data in less than 2 days. Network backup should be faster than what you are seeing, but of course we know something is seriously wrong. Whatever is slowing your network speeds might also impact USB backup too - the only way to find out is to try it.

We'll certainly try it once things comes to normal again. You've mentioned here before that the NAS USB could be quite slow and it would be better to attach the external HD directly to the computer.
/viewtopic.php?p=422579#p422620
Is it not so in our case then?

And what about the format type and velocity?
/viewtopic.php?p=100118#p100118
Just asking cause we're about to get 2 WD Passport Ultra 2Tb for 'proper' backup (if there's any) once things are finally solved here. (We're back on Tech support mode).

StephenB wrote:

BTW, make sure snapshots are not user-visible before you do the USB backup. Alternatively, turn snapshots off and delete all the ones you have on the NAS.

I didn't knew you could make snapshots not user-visible. Do not know how to do it also.

StephenB wrote:

BTW2, it sounds like you have linux skills. It is possible to mount the btrfs data volume on a linux system (if mdadm and btrfs are installed), by attaching one of the RN102 disks to the SMB or USB port of the other linux system. Might be worth considering, it would certainly be faster once you get it set up. You could also look at the OS partition that way.

mdgm wrote:
Would suggest using a system with at least kernel 3.17.x and corresponding or newer version of btrfs if you are using an ordinary Linux system.

Guys I'm just slowly trying to step into GNU/Linux for a while and I confess that the easy flavor of Ubuntu is the deepest I could go. I learned basic in 1985 in a TRS Color though :lol:
I couldn't experiment with mdadm and the btrfs file system for finding it dangerous in inexperienced hands. Maybe with a recipe tutorial. And yes I should also have to update my kernel which is 3.11.0-26 still.

You've both have been of great help and support, literally.
Thank you very much again! 🙂
Message 27 of 42
StephenB
Guru

wagon wrote:
StephenB wrote:
I meant attached to the NAS USB. With 1.6 TB of data and USB 3.0, you should be able to copy your data in less than 2 days. Network backup should be faster than what you are seeing, but of course we know something is seriously wrong. Whatever is slowing your network speeds might also impact USB backup too - the only way to find out is to try it.

We'll certainly try it once things comes to normal again. You've mentioned here before that the NAS USB could be quite slow and it would be better to attach the external HD directly to the computer.
/viewtopic.php?p=422579#p422620
Is it not so in our case then?
That post was about a v1 (sparc-based) NAS. Yours is much faster. When working normally, USB 3.0 NTFS transfers should be about 1 TB a day.

wagon wrote:
And what about the format type and velocity?
/viewtopic.php?p=100118#p100118
Just asking cause we're about to get 2 WD Passport Ultra 2Tb for 'proper' backup (if there's any) once things are finally solved here. (We're back on Tech support mode).
Format type matters, and you could play with it - as long as you can read the backup on other systems of course.

wagon wrote:
StephenB wrote:

BTW, make sure snapshots are not user-visible before you do the USB backup. Alternatively, turn snapshots off and delete all the ones you have on the NAS.

I didn't knew you could make snapshots not user-visible. Do not know how to do it also.
Click on the share in the admin UI, and then pick settings. You'll see an "allow snapshot access" checkbox.
Message 28 of 42
Wagon
Aspirant

Thank you.
Message 29 of 42
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Ah, Asiel I see you did have Transmission installed at some point after the factory reset. That would explain it.

There is a bug with this app that messes up permissions.

If you want to use Transmission you must use a newer version of the app i.e. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ie9pwk1wut72ias/AAArlyiy-xevNalGy04SZOBXa/Transmission/transmissionr6_3.0...

I would suggest you backup your data, do another factory reset and restore your data from backup
Message 30 of 42
Asiel
Aspirant

Yes, I did notice issues after some apps were installed. Uninstalled most apps and was unsure if any had caused the issue.

Any other apps to avoid?

Thanks!
Message 31 of 42
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I don't think any other apps have this same bug. The new version of the Transmission app I gave the link for in my last post does not have the bug.
Message 32 of 42
Wagon
Aspirant

Asiel wrote:
Uninstalled most apps and was unsure if any had caused the issue.

Asiel,

haven't you had any trouble removing the apps? Like Ian Wilson seems to have here? /viewtopic.php?f=65&t=79372

I kinda decided waiting for the next os update to attempt to remove 3 apps, one of them at least (Piwigo), is broken.
Message 33 of 42
Asiel
Aspirant

I'm glad to say I have not had any issues removing apps... I just uninstall and reset the NAS.

I just finished my 2nd factory reset and my NAS is now visible in windows 7 once again.
I figure I won't install many apps, if any. It takes so long to transfer all the data back the NAS, so I'd rather just keep it as simple as possible.

I hope everyone having issues with the 6.2.2 firmware can get them resolved.
As of right now, I seem to be on my way again. 😄

Thank you.
Message 34 of 42
Wagon
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
backup to a locally attached NTFS USB 3.0 drive is ~12.5 MB/s A USB 2.0 drive is about 9 MB/s (http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas- ... 2-reviewed). That's about 1 TB per day with the USB 3.0, and about 750 GB per day with USB 2.0.

Finally starting 'proper' backup. Hard disk locally attached trough usb 3.0.
I couldn't find any direct indication of transfer velocity in the GUI. But after the first backup, its Log informs that a transfer of 126,479 Mb took 40m23s to be completed, resulting in 52Mb/s. Is it expected or have I committed some mistake?
With the same installation but copying (from NAS to LOCALLY attached HD) through Win7 network it was 2.3 Mb/s though.

We've got two identical hard disks. The OS recognizes the first plugged as USB_HDD_01 share. The second isn't yet plugged. Is it possible that the OS consider the second hard disk being the same share as the first and apply the old backup jobs previously created for the first drive on the second one? Maybe plugging both at the same time once the RN102 has two USB 3.0 ?

Is there a way to change the name given? On the OS when I click on settings for the drive USB_HDD_01, the name field is grayed out.

(Are this questions appropriate for this thread or should we create another one?)

Thank you.

Still we didn't dare to uninstall any other app. We're considering to do a Factory default boot if the speed to upload it back stays similar.
Message 35 of 42
StephenB
Guru

52 MB/s is much faster than the speeds that smallnetbuilder.com measured. You can always eject the disk and spot-check the files.

The second drive will end up with a different name.
Message 36 of 42
Wagon
Aspirant

Ejected and checked on different computers. Data seems correct.
Continuing with backup, it stays at 52 Mb/s.
Message 37 of 42
Wagon
Aspirant

The former velocity was with 'share: USB_HDD1' as Destination.

Changing the Destination to 'USB/eSata Ports (USB Back Bottom)' now we've got 64 Mb/s.

The external HD was always plugged in the same USB3 port. Does it make sense?
Message 38 of 42
StephenB
Guru

If I have a chance I'll try it. Are you using NTFS format?
Message 39 of 42
Wagon
Aspirant

Take your time StephenB. Yes we're using the original NTFS format.
Thank you
Message 40 of 42
Asiel
Aspirant

The NAS has once again disappeared from the Windows 7 network. Not one app has been installed.
Same issue as before, windows 7 can't see the NAS but it is accessible on tablets/cell phones and MAC.

This is now the 2nd factory reset, and this time not one app has been installed.
Transferring data back to the NAS is all that has been done. The transferring was done from Windows 7, so it was working at one point. The NAS was only working properly for a few days, then it simply didn't show up in Windows 7 (again on more than one PC)

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks
Message 41 of 42
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This is a different issue to not being able to enable SMB.

See my post here: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=450351#p450351
Message 42 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements