× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgraded to firm 6.4.0 suffers disconnect from network after large data transfers (RN104)

mickle026
Aspirant

Upgraded to firm 6.4.0 suffers disconnect from network after large data transfers (RN104)

So far I love my NAS, but the other day it wanted to upgrade so I did that.

Now when i transfer 20GB+ of files to it or from it, it goes and becomes uncontactable.  It still has the ip's connected it my router, but they are unreachable.

Everything is ok if I don't transfer large files or large amounts.

Its running on a gigabit LAN, with switch routers.

Anyone know why or what I can do to fix without resetting it??

Message 1 of 21
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Upgraded to firm 6.4.0 suffers disconnect from network after large data transfers (RN104)

Hi mickle026,

Can you confirm if this file transfer is from your computer to an iSCSI LUN or just a normal share? Are there any other activities on the background like backup jobs, defrag, disk scrubbing or quota check? I'll also suggest a direction connection (PC to NAS) just to isolate if its a network issue.

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 21
mickle026
Aspirant

Re: Upgraded to firm 6.4.0 suffers disconnect from network after large data transfers (RN104)

Hi Brian,
It's a direct connection through a smb share as a mounted drive in Windows 7 via an unmanaged switch.
Sorry I don't know what an iscsi lun is so it must be a normal share.

It has become more stable since the post, but I have rerouted some of my network via a different switch.
I am thinking for some reason it might have been caused by a 100mbit switch but I have no idea why.? It's now on a gigabit switch and seems more stable.

A different server running kubuntu has never done this and is OK with any configuration. This is the server that the nas will eventually replace if it gets stable enough.
Message 3 of 21
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mickle026,

Thanks for providing feedback. I suggest that you continue to monitor the ReadyNAS while its connected to your network doing its normal tasks. With regard on how to use iSCSI (LUN), you can the ff. articles.

How do I configure an iSCSI initiator on my ReadyNAS OS 6 storage system?

How do I add an iSCSI Initiator on my ReadyNAS OS 6 storage system?

Let me know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 21
xupaaki
Tutor

Im having same problemas since 6.4 update (rn102). When I transfer files that all together are large the drive disconnects and  the only solution is remove the plug. Doenst metter if using SMB or just downloading files using transmission....if the transfer is longer then a few minutes its almost certain the NAS will stop responding. 

I already did 3 factory resets but problem persists

Message 5 of 21
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi xupaaki,

Are there any other activities or services running while files are being transferred? Kindly attach the device logs so we can have a further look.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 21
xupaaki
Tutor

sometimes I have transmission running, sometimes I just hadn´t anything else running...

by the way, even transmission can't complete downloading files without the NAS hang a lot of times

Sorry for the noob question, but how do I do to attach logs? I can´t find any option on the forum todo that

Message 7 of 21
StephenB
Guru

Message 8 of 21
xupaaki
Tutor

Thanks! Just did as described on the link!

Message 9 of 21
mickle026
Aspirant

I have to say my main issues have stopped since reconfiguring the lan.
The only issue that remains is dlna keeps breaking the connection, but playback via samba is fine with no issues so it has to be something to do with networking in the nas unit. Running dlna on my kubuntu server is fine, so it's not an issue with my lan but is an issue with the nas.
The unit is great, I really like it.
Message 10 of 21
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

What change have you made in the LAN configuration to make the issue go away? 

Message 11 of 21
carlsez
Aspirant

Any resolution on this one? I think my problems are related; the unit runs fine until I try to do a Time Machine backup. The large data transfer kills my RN104 and I have to pull the plug. All worked fine prior to 6.0.4 firmware.

Message 12 of 21
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

Can you contact us at readycloud@netgear.com so we can work on your case? Thank you.

Message 13 of 21
carlsez
Aspirant

I did contact tech support on Oct 15. After the usual troubleshooting (which I had already done) I was told to test all the disks using a manufaturer utility. I did that, reported back and have received no response.

Message 14 of 21
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

Please email us at readycloud@netgear.com for faster response. Thank you.

Message 15 of 21
carlsez
Aspirant

It's all well and good to say on the forums that an email to readycloud@netgear.com will prompt a response, but clearly that isnt the case. Netgear need to acknowledge an issue with 6.4.0 firmware and fix it. Reading through the forums so many people are having these issues under load. My unit is useless as a backup device at the moment.

Message 16 of 21
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

Sorry, we haven't seen a request in readycloud@netgear.com on this. When did you send it? 

Message 17 of 21
carlsez
Aspirant

October 25, Subject line: 

Re: NETGEAR Support [Case#25899513]

Message 18 of 21
xupaaki
Tutor

after upgraded the firmware to 6.4.1 beta I got the problem solved.

Message 19 of 21
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

Glad to hear that, thanks for letting us know.

Message 20 of 21
carlsez
Aspirant

No good for me. Netgear support have established that the low cache of the RN104 is responsible for me being unable to complete a Time Machine backup! Odd that this never caused an issue prior to firmware 6.4.x.

I've now backed up, changed disks and done a factory restore to try and resolve the problem.  Now I'm stuck in a Setup Wizard loop where it constantly sends me back to the setup wizard without progressing.

If anybody can help me either progress past the setup wizard, or even tell me if it's possble (and how) to revert to firmware prior to 6.4.x if would be much appreciated! I have a very expensive paperweight here at the moment.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements