× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading NV+ to RN214

Marcel_X
Aspirant

Upgrading NV+ to RN214

I'm about to replace my old NV+ after many years service. The performance leaves a lot to desire and the incidental "Booting, please wait..." lock-up, freaks me out.

Unfortunately I can't afford about 1000 euro to put a loaded RN214 next to it.

I hope I can start with an empty RN214 and my old harddisks. I know I can't place the old RAID-X in a new setup and I might buy new disks over time.

So can you please give me some advice on the options I have?

ReadyNAS NV+ v1 firmware 4.1.14

4 x WDC WD10EACS-00D6B1

RAID-X

1GB RAM

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Upgrading NV+ to RN214

@Marcel_X wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

Can I start with one drive, put my data on it and upgrade with extra drives over time, without restoring or losing the data?

Is it possible to add drives like; start with 1 drive and no RAID, expand to 2 drives RAID 1, 3 drives RAID 3-5 and finaly 4 drives RAID 6?

XRAID will handle the migration from jbod->RAID 1-> RAID 5 automatically.  You just insert the new disks.  

You can then change to flexraid to get to RAID-6 on the last drive.  There is no data loss (note all drives will need to be the same size if you want to land on RAID-6).  After the RAID-6 array is built, you can change back to XRAID (or not).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You could start with one 4 TB drive (WD40EFRX perhaps) and add over time - using the NV+ for backup, where the slower performance isn't a problem.  That would only add about 170 euro to the RN214 price (making the total about 570),  Those costs come from the UK amazon site, converting british pounds to euros with Google.

If that won't work, you could re-use current disks.  They are old of course, and aren't on the RN214 compatibily list.  That means that Netgear might deny installation support. However, the disks should work ok.  

You will need to start fresh, so you will have to have an external backup of your files.  The RN214 will need to reformat the existing disks.

Message 2 of 4
Marcel_X
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply!

Can I start with one drive, put my data on it and upgrade with extra drives over time, without restoring or losing the data?

Is it possible to add drives like; start with 1 drive and no RAID, expand to 2 drives RAID 1, 3 drives RAID 3-5 and finaly 4 drives RAID 6?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Marcel_X wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

XRAID will handle the migration from jbod->RAID 1-> RAID 5 automatically.  You just insert the new disks.  

You can then change to flexraid to get to RAID-6 on the last drive.  There is no data loss (note all drives will need to be the same size if you want to land on RAID-6).  After the RAID-6 array is built, you can change back to XRAID (or not).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements