× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upgrading Pro 6 Legacy to 6.10.0

tony359
Apprentice

Upgrading Pro 6 Legacy to 6.10.0

Hi all,

I'd like to touch base with experts on this forum about my Pro 6 which is still running 6.9.3. I intentionally skipped 6.9.5 but I'd like to go on 6.9.10. I've waited a bit before upgrading to make sure that no big issues were present.

Are there any reported issues when upgrading an old x86 RN like mine to 6.9.10-HotFix2?

Thanks!

Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @tony359, you wrote "Are there any reported issues when upgrading an old x86 RN like mine to 6.9.10-HotFix2?"

Assuming you refer to 6.10.0HF2, here are my two cents:

Disregarding what issues might come up after upgrading to that OS level, its release notes say you cannot downgrade anymore.

See here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Announcements-Stories/ReadyNAS-OS-6-10-0-Hotfix-2-now-avai...

Should you not have a very good reason for skipping the 6.9.ers, I would not continue as you currently intend.

Instead, operating a legacy device as yours I would suggest to walk along the recommended upgrade path. which would be: (1) 6.9.4; (2) 6.9.5. Then I would stay there and set the update method to "Long-term Support".

Anybody else has an opinion on this?

Good luck with upgrading and kind regards

Message 2 of 18
tony359
Apprentice

I'm sorry, my bad. Yes, 6.10.0.

May I ask you why would you be concerned about moving to 6.10.0?

Message 3 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

Since OS6 is not offcially supported on legacy devices, Netgear testing of updates on legacy equipment is going to be minimal to non-existant (if they do any, they don't publicly admit it).  While somebody needs to upgrade and do the appropriate testing for all to benefit, you need to choose wisely if you want to be one of those people.  Your use case, including backup situation, would be the factors to determine if being an early adopter is really for you.

I have a Pro2 I have nothing important on that I upgrade to each RC level (I avoid beta, I don't have the time) and then to the actual release as soon as it's available.  But my testing is far from exhaustive.  I don't even use ReadyCloud nor have any Macintoshes.  I have few apps installed.

Message 4 of 18
tony359
Apprentice

I see your point but then even 6.9.x is not tested at all. Following your logic, I should still be on 6.0 🙂 I am very cautious before upgrading, that's why I am waiting and asking here before attempting. 

Message 5 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

No, you don't see my point.  By now, plenty of users have tested 6.9.5 on legacy hardware for a large number of hours.  Not all meticulously, but through use.  The number of units and hours running 6.10.0 is going to be fewer.  You can never be sure that evrything you do has already been tried by somebody else.  But the longer you wait, the more likely it is to be true unless you do exceptionally uncommon things with your NAS (such as me running Eaton Intellegent Power Protector for my UPS).

As I said, somebody (well, hopefully, several somebodies) needs to upgrade and verify through use that there are no special issues for legacy hardware.  You need to decide if you should be and want to be one of those, especially where there is no path backwards.

Message 6 of 18
tony359
Apprentice

sandshark - don't get me wrong but that's exactly why I am here asking this very question!

Message 7 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

As I said, somebody (well, hopefully, several somebodies) needs to upgrade and verify through use that there are no special issues for legacy hardware.  You need to decide if you should be and want to be one of those, especially where there is no path backwards.

I'm thinking you two are basically on the same page.  My interpretation of @tony359's original ask is that he wanted to know if other folks had done that upgrade, and if so what their experience was.  So he didn't want to be first, but he didn't want to stick with old firmware forever either.  

FWIW, I think the main risks on legacy x86 are related to the hardware itself - regressions on fan control for instance.  I don't think software features (ReadyCloud, TimeMachine, etc) are likely to break on a Pro-6 but work on an OS-6 platform.  

Message 8 of 18
tony359
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:

I'm thinking you two are basically on the same page.

You're totally correct and your interpretation is also correct. I am not in a rush, I just don't want to be the Guinea pig but ideally I'd like to upgrade at some point.

The only thing "out of the ordinary" I have on the NAS is CrashPlan. Everything else is default. And If Crashplan really stopped working, I can still move it to my desktop.

So my question stands: has anybody already upgraded and noticed any issues? 🙂 

Message 9 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@tony359 wrote: "May I ask you why would you be concerned about moving to 6.10.0?"

Yup, of course you may :-).

Let's say I would try to minimize the risk of ending up with a situation, where your legacy nas is a brick. My assumption in this context is: The larger the difference between the release of the OS you are currently running and the release of the OS you want to upgrade to, the higher the risk of severe failure. Now, this is my way of evaluating a situation like yours and my judgement is: go small steps and be patient.

If you are willing to take bigger risks, just install 6.10.0H2 and see what happens. Please be so kind to share your experiences.

Disregarding to what OS level you will upgrade next I would do the following two:

(1) Wait for about 2 weeks and see whether any community members will share experiences about upgrading a nas like yours by posting a reply to your topic.

(2) Actively search the Netgear Readynas Network Community for anything, which could be of help in this context.

Have fun and kind regards

Message 10 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

Let's say I would try to minimize the risk of ending up with a situation, where your legacy nas is a brick. My assumption in this context is: The larger the difference between the release of the OS you are currently running and the release of the OS you want to upgrade to, the higher the risk of severe failure.

One hole in this reasoning is that your strategy of never skipping a release requires you to do more firmware upgrades.  If there's even a small chance of an upgrade bricking the NAS, you potentially are raising the odds of failure occuring along the upgrade path.

Personally I see no reason to install 6.9.5 before moving to 6.10.0.  If he was running 6.5.2 (for example) I'd be more inclined to upgrade to intermediate firmware along the way.  But not every single point release.

Message 11 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@StephenB wrote: "If there's even a small chance of an upgrade bricking the NAS, you potentially are raising the odds of failure occuring along the upgrade path."

We obviously are following different risk functions when evaluating a situation, dear Stephen. While I can live with a small risk joint to each small step you are kind of accumulating the risk by skipping a few of the small steps. You know, all that is totally fine as long as we are free to decide.

That is why I like this community so much. You can collect facts and opinions and finally decide what to do. Thanks to everybody contributing and kind regards.

Message 12 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

all that is totally fine as long as we are free to decide.

Agreed.  If we had enough data, we could estimate the odds of both approaches, but I don't see any way to get that data.

Message 13 of 18
tony359
Apprentice

Bump.

Any experience on upgrading old NAS to the latest versions?

Message 14 of 18
StephenB
Guru

I've seen some posts from folks running 6.10.0.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/OS6-on-ReadyNAS-Pro-4-RNDP4000/m-p/...

and at least one from someone running 6.10.1

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-6-10-1-Upgrade-with-ReadyN...

(note ultra 6 plus hardware is the same as the pro 6).

Message 15 of 18
tony359
Apprentice

Thanks Stephen,

As I don't see much activity on legacy NAS units anymore (what happened to them!) I decided to be brave and upgrade.

Thankfully, everything went well. The system rebooted twice (I suppose it's normal?) and then booted up normally.

Everything seems to be in order. The only "mod" I have on the system is CrashPlan which still works fine - I also noticed it's kept itself up-to-date without breaking everything as usual which is a plus!

So to recap, I'm running a Pro6 and I am now on 6.10.1 and all is good.

Good luck to everybody 🙂 

Message 16 of 18
viperhansa
Virtuoso

Hi guys,

I have a Pro 6 and running  6.10.1.

I have been updating like "forever" but NEVER straight away when  a new  release comes out..

I always wait 1 month to see if other users write on the forums their experiences.

So far everything has worked, I have been running os6 a long time now and only had 1  or  2 hickups.

1 was the imfamus   remove inactive drives issue.   Had to redo all again. Thanks to Netgear support i recovered stuff that was not on backup.

Otherwise all is working fine, just make sure you have a valid working BACKUP... 🙂

My Pro  6 have a upgraded cpu and 8gb of memory..

regards

// Hans

Message 17 of 18
tony359
Apprentice

forgot to say that my Pro6 also has updated CPU and RAM.

Yes, I also wait a bit before upgrading - a month should be enough to see reactions from the manufacturer and/or community. Even my Windows is set to delay updated for 15 days as a minimum 🙂 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements