× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading ReadyNAS NV+ Chasis to ReadyNAS 51600

zander1
Aspirant

Upgrading ReadyNAS NV+ Chasis to ReadyNAS 51600

I purchased a ReadyNAS NV+ a little over 4 years ago. Upgraded disks from 1TB to 2TB a few years ago. Purchased 4 4TB Seagate drives to replace the 2 TB drives and realized they are not compatible.

So the plan is to purchase a new chassis (ReadyNAS 51600) and use the new 4TB Seagate drives, which are compatible.

My question is what is the best way to transfer the data over from the existing system so my shared drives are preserved? The NAS is used for my home media network so my pictures/videos/music is all configured with the other hardware/software. Ideally I want to replicate the existing shares so that the other devices do not need to be reconfigured to look for the new NAS.

Is the best option to 1) install the old disks to rebuild in the new chassis and then upgrade to the new disks one by one, 2) is there some way to link the drives and copy over the data, 3) drag and drop to copy over the LAN?

Also, what is the best configuration to get the benefit from the old NAS? Can the old act as a slave to the new or does it have to operate independently?

I feel like there should be an entire manual on how to migrate data from an old NAS to a new and how to manage a config with multiple NASs, but I went through all the manuals and I could not find any section that covered this issue, which surely is not unique.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
zander
Message 1 of 5
zander1
Aspirant

Re: Upgrading ReadyNAS NV+ Chasis to ReadyNAS 51600

For example, something like this would be very helpful - http://www.synology.com/support/tutorials_show.php?q_id=484
Message 2 of 5
vandermerwe
Master

In your situation the process is simple, setup the new Nas with the new drives.
Create exactly the same users, groups and shares on the new Nas as exist on the old.
Setup a backup job on the new Nas to pull data from the old - one job for each share. You could use any network protocol like cifs, nfs or rsync. Raync likely slower than others.
To facilitate easy of access by your devices, simply rename the new Nas with the name of the old Nas and also change the IP address of the new Nas to match the old.
Obviously you'll need to change the name and ip of the old Nas.
As for using the old Nas, a backup unit would be one possible function.
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I would use NFS or Rsync for ReadyNAS to ReadyNAS backups not CIFS. You could use NFS for the full backup then switch the backup job properties to use Rsync.

You could use the old NAS to backup the new one (recommended) or to store other data depending on your requirements.

Important data should be stored on more than one device preferably at least three.
Message 4 of 5
zander1
Aspirant

Thank you for the advice and sorry for the delayed response. I will give it a shot.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements