× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading ReadyNAS Pioneer Pro

sleeplesswaves
Aspirant

Upgrading ReadyNAS Pioneer Pro

Hello all, I have an older ReadyNAS Pioneer Pro (RNDP600E ?) running the older Radiator 4.2.x... I'm in the process of upgrading both hardware and software, I know this is all unsupported.

- I just ordered a an E7600 processor upgrade, and I *think* I have already upgraded the ram to 4g? I'll have to check.

What is the max amount of RAM I can put in the box and what speed???

I found other posts that talked about upgrading the software but many of the links were dead, etc.

Can anyone provide links to download the most current software to upgrade this in 2020?

- I'm looking for a link to the most current BIOS

- I'm looking for a link to the most current firmware

And anything else I'm missing!

My current thought is:

- backup my data off the box

- install new processor

- maybe upgrade RAM

- install new BIOS while still on radiator 4.2.x

- upgrade system firmware

I'd love input on what I'm missing or the best order of operations etc.

Many thanks!!!

Model: RNDP600E|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneeer Chassis only
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Upgrading ReadyNAS Pioneer Pro

The steps are

(Optionally) make sure the latest BIOS is installed before you do the conversion.  To do this you install  http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin as an add-on and reboot the NAS.  Do this after you backup the NAS.  This isn't necessary, but if you so want to update the bios it is easiest to do it prior to conversion (and you should do it before you upgrade the processor).

There is some information on RAM upgrades here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/Memory-upgrade-for-ReadyNAS-Pro-6/m-p/10... Though 4GB modules are expensive. If you already have 4 GB, then I suggest leaving it as it is.

Basic instructions for the conversion itself are

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
  2. Upload PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web gui, but do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  3. Upload R4toR6_6.9.5.bin using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  4. After you upload the addon+firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default.
  5. Go through the setup process on the converted NAS 
  6. Update the NAS to the current OS 6 (check for updates will work).
  7. Restore files from the backup.

Netgear won't provide paid support on a converted NAS (or one with a processor upgrade), so that is one consideration.  There is a small risk that the process could fail, and if that were to happen it might not be possible to get the NAS running again.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The steps are

(Optionally) make sure the latest BIOS is installed before you do the conversion.  To do this you install  http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin as an add-on and reboot the NAS.  Do this after you backup the NAS.  This isn't necessary, but if you so want to update the bios it is easiest to do it prior to conversion (and you should do it before you upgrade the processor).

There is some information on RAM upgrades here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/Memory-upgrade-for-ReadyNAS-Pro-6/m-p/10... Though 4GB modules are expensive. If you already have 4 GB, then I suggest leaving it as it is.

Basic instructions for the conversion itself are

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
  2. Upload PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web gui, but do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  3. Upload R4toR6_6.9.5.bin using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  4. After you upload the addon+firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default.
  5. Go through the setup process on the converted NAS 
  6. Update the NAS to the current OS 6 (check for updates will work).
  7. Restore files from the backup.

Netgear won't provide paid support on a converted NAS (or one with a processor upgrade), so that is one consideration.  There is a small risk that the process could fail, and if that were to happen it might not be possible to get the NAS running again.

Message 2 of 15
sleeplesswaves
Aspirant

@StephenB Thanks so much for the clear explanation, recommendations and links! Really excellent.

I'm moving this week but will hopefully get around to this during the weekend. I'll swing back and post how things went so others benefit.

Again, many thanks!

Message 3 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

The max memory is 8GB, which requires two 4GB 2Rx8 (aka "low density") DIMMs.  Since OSes for consumer systems of the day were 32-bit and limited to 4GB of RAM, they are not available at the low price you can find 2GB sticks.  Unless you plan to do some really heavy duty transcoding or something, you are unlikely to see much improvement going from 4GB to 8GB.

FYI, though your new processor is capable of running at a higher FSB speed, the motherboard is limited to 800MHz.  Still, you'll notice quite a boost with the E7600 over the original Pentium.

Message 4 of 15
sleeplesswaves
Aspirant

@Sandshark Thanks for the great info. I just opened up the box this morning and I did upgrade to 4GB sometime in the past. I did manage to source 8GB (4GB x 2) sticks that are compatible, but it's around $90 USD. So I'm on the fence about getting them.

On another note, I'm considering just upgrading the 2TB x6 drives I have installed since I'm doing a hardware refresh anyway. I got one of the Seagate Exos 16TB drives for a new tower I built, and I'm toying with the idea of just getting 6 of them to swap out the NAS drives. If I run RAID 5 it would be about 80TB of usable space (96TB raw).

https://www.newegg.com/seagate-exos-x16-st16000nm001g-16tb/p/1Z4-002P-015K6?Item=1Z4-002P-015K6

Has anyone tried these or drives at this size? Curious if it's compatible.

Many thanks!

Message 5 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

We've seen some reports of DoA Exos drives (which the users initially thought were compatibility issues), but I've not seen any reports of actual compatibility problems.  It does make me wonder if they are a bit more sensitive to shipping damage.  There are no hardware or software limits that should come into play.  Do keep in mind that the Pro is only SATA2, so they won't be any faster than your old drives.  With that much space, make sure your backup is solid, and perhaps consider RAID6 (though you still need backup).

I don't recall if the Exos have the re-designated spin-down pin that needs to be taped over in some systems, but that is not an issue on the Pro (or any ReadyNAS I know of).  That pin has no connection.

I do not recommend you start out by filling your NAS with drives unless you really need the space now.  The NAS runs cooler without all of them.  Since they are all put in service at the same time, they all accrue on time and may fail at similar times.  They will likely be from the same lot, so DoA or infant mortality issues could be more likely in others if present in one.  And lastly, the price will probably drop over time.  So take advantage of XRAID expandability and only install what you need for your expected needs in the next couple years at most.

A plus you may not have considered in upgrading your Pro to OS6 is that when it does finally die or you decide you finally need something faster, you can just move the drives to a native OS6 NAS.  You're now doing the backup and restore necessary to migrate from OS4.2.x to OS6 at a time of your own choosing, not being forced because of hardware failure.  And that won't be one of your considerations in upgrading.

Most of my NAS were upgraded and converted ProBE/Pro6 models till I moved to converted rack mount units.  I don't think you'll be disappointed that your expenditure didn't get you as far as you desire.

Message 6 of 15
sleeplesswaves
Aspirant

@Sandshark Excellent advice all around. Many angles I didn't really think out.

I may just keep the drives I have, or perhaps get 3 of the new ones, considering cost, heat and other benefits you mentioned.

Maybe squeeze a couple (?) more years out of this box and just upgrade with this one as a backup or test box.

Cheers

Message 7 of 15
sleeplesswaves
Aspirant

@StephenB I followed your directions and it went really smoothly... The only strange thing I noticed was during the addon + firmware stage it said on the front panel at some point during the process "Err: Could not properly extract", but then went on and seemed to upgrade everything fine. Not sure if that is normal behavior or not?

Otherwise, it seems perfect.

On another note, I did manage to find some second hand RAM in the 2x 4GB variety so I got them, it's the Patriot brand which others have reported good, I'll report back once I test them.

I've installed the RAM and now I'm trying to get the heat sync off, it's a real bear. I loosened all for spring screws but it is really stuck on there... I'm trying to hold the screw mounts and gently twich back and forth hoping it will pop off but no luck so far... I read other had troubles with this too. Is it a bad idea to drip a little alcohol through the heatsink grill and hope it hits the paste to make it easier to remove?

I remember reading someone else tried dental floss but I'm not even sure where the actual contact is between the sink and the processor.

Any pointers here most welcome!

Message 8 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

Run the NAS for a bit to warm up the CPU and see if that helps.  You could stop the fan from spinning for a short period to speed that up.  I don't recall there being any holes through which alcohol would reach the paste.  I have replaced the CPU on three units, and just remember having to twist rather hard.

Message 9 of 15
sleeplesswaves
Aspirant

@Sandshark Humm... I just came back from doing what you mentioned... I disconnected the fan and ran it hot and then shut down and tried to wiggle...

I then pushed the little clips and removed the fan from the heat sink altogether... Now there is just a black plastic mount, the heat sink and the metal plate that is attached to the 4 arms that have the screws with springs... Just to be clear, the metal mount w/ the four screw sits on top of the processor correct?

When I unscrew the four screws that made a pop sound which I'm assuming means I've completely unscrewed them... I've been twisting back and for on the 4 screw and trying to put my fingers under the heat sink w/o the fan and lift up... All of that doesn't seem to even budge this thing...

Should I just try to put a little more force of the the 4 screw twisting?

Many thanks!!!

Message 10 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, the metal piece is the heatsink.  Assuming the screws are fully disengaged, the twisting action is going to be more effective than pulling, and you probably do just need more force.

Message 11 of 15
sleeplesswaves
Aspirant

@Sandshark Wow, that was a bear!!! I ended up using a hotair rework station to heat the sink and then aggresively twisted and it finally popped off... Whew... If it hadn't been for that this upgrade would have been a piece of cake!!

Message 12 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

Glad you finally got it.  None of mine were that hard.  Did they put too much on and it dripped down around the CPU, somewhat encasing it?  That can make it a lot tougher.

Message 13 of 15
sleeplesswaves
Aspirant

@Sandshark Yeah, it was a little thick and came out over the sides a bit... It was a white paste and it was almost rock hard... It pretty much flaked off even with alcohol. Running the hotair rework station on it really helped... I just aimed it right at the sync part under the fan and got it hot. I took the RAM out and could get more leverage to twist from that side... 

As a side note to anyone using this system, the 8GB of RAM seems to be pretty much fully utilized on my machine. I ran Transmission on it as a test and downloaded something and my RAM utilization was over 7GB already... I didn't even do anything that demanding. So I'm glad I went that route. It was a bit of a unicorn to find though, luckily it popped up on Ebay, bit pricey though at $90. But the processor was only $10, so a $100 full system upgrade seemed a good trade to me. Maybe when one of the two TB drives fail, I'll just start replacing with those 16TB drives. I have one running in another tower and it's been doing well so far.

All in all, besides that nasty heat sink, this was a smooth process with all the excellent help here on the forum.. Many thanks to all!

Message 14 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

The NAS will allocate a lot of RAM to buffering when it's available, which can fool you as to how much is really being used.  But in most cases, that really won't help a lot.  I saw little difference between 2GB and 4GB, so I can't imagine 8 doing a lot, at least with a small number of users.  Plex may be an exception -- I don't use it.  My smart TV box understands NFS and SMB and I only store videos in a format I can use directly.

I do remember the heatsink compound being like hard clay, so I can see how some overflowing the edges could encapulate the CPU and make heatsink removal difficult.  Glad you found a way.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements