× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading a disk with JBOD (ReadyNas 102)

robmash
Aspirant

Upgrading a disk with JBOD (ReadyNas 102)

Hi all,

I currently have an RN102 (2-bay) with a 3TB and 4TB drives.  The unit is configured with 2 volumes, one for each disk.  I am running both in a 'JBOD' configuration as RAID is not required (I have multiple backups of the data).

The 3TB is getting full so I would like to upgrade it.  What is the best way to do this? Specifically:

1. Can I remove and replace the 3TB drive without impacting the other (4TB) volume?

2. Can I then place the 3TB drive in a USB hard drive caddy and mount the volume in the RN102 by plugging the caddy into NAS?

I would like to remount the 3TB drive as a USB drive because it will make copyinh the data to the new volume much easier, but if this is impossible I can recreate the data from other sources.

Regards,

Rob

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 3
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Upgrading a disk with JBOD (ReadyNas 102)

Hi @robmash

Welcome to the Community!

Since both disks are configured separately, the 4TB will not be affected when replacing the other volume.

JBOD configured disk will not be mounted on the USB port of the NAS because it is in BTRFS. The best way is to backup your data from the 3TB drive while mounted on the NAS, replace it with a higher capacity disk or just format the 3TB as a new volume.

You may want to visit this old thread regarding mounting BTRFS volume.

IMO, if you have multiple copies of your data, formatting is the fastest way to get free space on your disk.

Regards

Message 2 of 3
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Upgrading a disk with JBOD (ReadyNas 102)

Hi @robmash

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements