× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading disk capacity in ReadyNAS 212

a4ex
Aspirant

Upgrading disk capacity in ReadyNAS 212

Hello,

I have a ReadyNAS 212 with two 2TB Disks configured to RAID-1. I use it for home storage and backup.
One of the disks has started failing and it becomes more and more often now so i want to replace it, but at the same time i would like to increase the capacity to 3TB.
So I'm planning to purchase two 3TB disks, but I'm not sure what is the best way to do the replacement and upgrade, without having to copy all my data else ware.

- add new-disk-2
- replicate volume old-disk-1 to new-disk-2 (assuming replication will be done automatically)
- add new-disk-1
- replicate volume new-disk-2 to new-disk-1

Is this possible?

Thank you in advance

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Upgrading disk capacity in ReadyNAS 212

First of all, we always do recommend backups of the NAS.  RAID simply isn't enough to keep data safe.  In your case you have a failing disk already, so your array is more vulnerable than usual.  If your data matters to you, you need to keep at least one other copy of it on a different device.  Personally I keep two other copies.

That said, the procedure is to replace the failing drive first.  You can hot-insert the new disk (remove the old one and insert the new one with the NAS running).  If the disk is blank (recommended) and you are using the default XRAID, then the NAS will automatically put it into the array and resync.

When that's complete, replace the other (hopefully healthy disk) the same way.

When you buy new disks, get either NAS-purposed drives (WDC Red or Seagate IronWolf), or enterprise-class drives (for instance WDC Red Pro).  3 and 4 TB are close in price per TB, you might consider going to 4 TB instead of 3.  Generally I test the drives with vendor tools in a Windows PC first (seatools for Seagate, lifeguard for Western Digital).  Those tools don't care if the drive is formatted or not (and if they are formatted I use the "write zeros" test in the tools to blank them).

Don't get desktop-class drives for the NAS.  The Seagate DM series (particularly the ST3000DMxxx) is one in particular to avoid - it has a high failure rate in RAID arrays. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Upgrading disk capacity in ReadyNAS 212

First of all, we always do recommend backups of the NAS.  RAID simply isn't enough to keep data safe.  In your case you have a failing disk already, so your array is more vulnerable than usual.  If your data matters to you, you need to keep at least one other copy of it on a different device.  Personally I keep two other copies.

That said, the procedure is to replace the failing drive first.  You can hot-insert the new disk (remove the old one and insert the new one with the NAS running).  If the disk is blank (recommended) and you are using the default XRAID, then the NAS will automatically put it into the array and resync.

When that's complete, replace the other (hopefully healthy disk) the same way.

When you buy new disks, get either NAS-purposed drives (WDC Red or Seagate IronWolf), or enterprise-class drives (for instance WDC Red Pro).  3 and 4 TB are close in price per TB, you might consider going to 4 TB instead of 3.  Generally I test the drives with vendor tools in a Windows PC first (seatools for Seagate, lifeguard for Western Digital).  Those tools don't care if the drive is formatted or not (and if they are formatted I use the "write zeros" test in the tools to blank them).

Don't get desktop-class drives for the NAS.  The Seagate DM series (particularly the ST3000DMxxx) is one in particular to avoid - it has a high failure rate in RAID arrays. 

Message 2 of 12
a4ex
Aspirant

Re: Upgrading disk capacity in ReadyNAS 102

Hello,

I would like to make a correction. My ReadyNAS is 102 and my RAID configuration is RAID-1.

Is your reply still valid?

Thanks in advance.

Message 3 of 12
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi a4ex,

I think it still applicable since you do have a protected RAID configuration.

As stated no the link:

How do I replace a disk in my ReadyNAS OS 6 desktop storage system?

"If the volume that contained the failed disk uses a protected RAID configuration, the system automatically resynchronizes the volume using the new disk. Resynchronization might take several hours, depending on the disk size. You can continue to use your storage system, although access is slower until the volume resynchronization finishes."

Also, the link above should give some ideas on how to replace the disk. It also discusses the RAID settings.

Regards,

Message 4 of 12
a4ex
Aspirant

Hello,

Since i have RAID-1 configuration my data then should be definitely be resynced. My concern is increasing the capacity. Now i have 2TB drives and i want to upgrade to 3TB or 4TB drives. With RAID-1 would it be possible to do that?

Thanks.

Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@a4ex wrote:

Now i have 2TB drives and i want to upgrade to 3TB or 4TB drives. With RAID-1 would it be possible to do that?

Do you see a green bar through the XRAID button on the right of the system->volumes tab?  

If you do, then XRAID is enabled. Vertical Expansion (replacing drives with larger ones) will work.  Make suer the first drive is resynced before replacing the second (as I posted earlier).

Message 6 of 12
a4ex
Aspirant

Do you see a green bar through the XRAID button on the right of the system->volumes tab?  

If you do, then XRAID is enabled. Vertical Expansion (replacing drives with larger ones) will work.  Make suer the first drive is resynced before replacing the second (as I posted earlier).

Hello,

The XRAID is not activated. Should i try to activated now?

BR

a4ex

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@a4ex wrote:
The XRAID is not activated. Should i try to activate it now?

Yes.

Message 8 of 12
a4ex
Aspirant

Hello,

Done XRAID is activated. Now i need to buy the HDD:s

Will update the thread once I've done it.

BR

a4ex

Message 9 of 12
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi a4ex,

Thanks for updating. Please keep us posted.

Regards,

Message 10 of 12
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi a4ex,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 11 of 12
a4ex
Aspirant

Hello,

I have now successfully replaced my two hard drives.

- Activated XRAID

- Hot-swap second drive and wait to re-sync

Hot-swap first drive and wait to re-sync

- Done

All my data are safe and i upgraded from 2TB space to 3TB.

Thank you for the support.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements