× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upgrading disk capacity on ReadyNAS 314

rmurgz
Tutor

Upgrading disk capacity on ReadyNAS 314

Hi, 

I own a ReadyNAS 314, running OS 6.4.0 with 4x WD Red 2TB hard drives to Raid 5 with X-Raid enabled. This gives me c. 5.4TB of usable storage. I'm a photographer and consume a lot of storage and as a result am 95%+ full. I'm looking ahead and need to grow space quickly.

Forgive me if the questions seem simple but I'm struggling to definitively establish the following and would appreciate the forum's assistance:

1. What is the maximum storage I can put in the Readynas 314? Can I have 4x8TB drives, or am I restricted to smaller drives as I saw on a cheatsheet somewhere that there was a maximum of 24TB.

2. In terms of type of drives I was looking at WD Red and WDRed Pro in 6tb size - both are SATA III device running at 6GB/s but one has a 64mb cache, the other a 128mb. Will I feel the benefit of that?

3. Thirdly if I were to stagger my investment and buy two drives now and two perhaps in a year's time would I get a storage benefit now and is there an easy way of calculating what additional space I would get with an X-Raid+Raid5 configuration

4. Finally is there any particular order / methodology I need to follow to do the upgrade? I read that hotswapping was the way to go but can I swap from any bays or is there more to it than that

Apologies again if these are daft questions - I'm no networking wizard, but I'm keen to avoid any fubars (and wasting money too).

Cheers,

Rich

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

One general piece of advice - you shouldn't assume that RAID is enough to keep your data safe.  You also need a backup on another device (I recommend 2 backups myself).

@rmurgz wrote:

1. What is the maximum storage I can put in the Readynas 314? Can I have 4x8TB drives, or am I restricted to smaller drives as I saw on a cheatsheet somewhere that there was a maximum of 24TB.

You should be able to install 4x8 TB, which would give you 24 TB of storage with the default single redundancy XRAID.  The NAS would report that as ~21.8 TiB.  (just like it reports 5.4 TiB for 6 TB volume size).

If photography is your business, you might consider dual redundancy.  That would limit you to 16 TB storage.   If you want to use that, you'd need to destroy the existing array.  So you might want to do that in one operation...

-back up the data

-power down, replace all the drives with 8 TB

-power up, and change immediately to flex-raid.  Then choose RAID-6.  

-After the volume builds, you can restore the data from backup.

In terms of type of drives I was looking at WD Red and WDRed Pro in 6tb size - both are SATA III device running at 6GB/s but one has a 64mb cache, the other a 128mb. Will I feel the benefit of that?

The key performance difference between the Red Pro and the Red is that the Red Pro has a faster rotation speed. The cache size doesn't matter that much, since the NAS is caching a lot more data in its own memory. You will see some performance improvement with the Red Pro when copying folders of photos.  There there is performance comparison (using 4 TB drives) here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8265/wd-red-pro-review-4-tb-drives-for-nas-systems-benchmarked  However, the specific drive models do matter in this kind of test.

Other considerations:  the WDC Red Pro has a longer warranty.  Since it rotates faster, it will use more power (and the system will run at a higher temperature).

3. Thirdly if I were to stagger my investment and buy two drives now and two perhaps in a year's time would I get a storage benefit now and is there an easy way of calculating what additional space I would get with an X-Raid+Raid5 configuration

Sum the raw drives, and then subtract the largest.  Convert from TB to TIB by multipying by 0.91.

For instance

4x2 TB -> 8-2 TB gives you 6 TB (or ~5.4 TiB)

3x2 TB + 1x8 TB  -> 14-8 TB gives you 6 TB (or ~5.4 TiB)

2x2 TB + 2x8 TB  -> 20-8 TB gives you 12 TB (or ~10.9 TiB)

1x2 TB + 3x8 TB  -> 24-8 TB gives you 16 TB (or ~14.5 TiB)

4x8 TB -> 32-8 TB gives you 24 TB (or ~21.8 TiB)

@rmurgz wrote:

4. Finally is there any particular order / methodology I need to follow to do the upgrade? I read that hotswapping was the way to go but can I swap from any bays or is there more to it than that

Hot swapping is fine, and there is no special ordering needed.  The main thing is to make sure you hot-swap the right drive Smiley Wink

When you replace a disk, it either needs to match the size of the existing disk size in that slot, or match the size of the largest disk in the array.

The drive shouldn't be formatted, and generally it is a good idea to test it with WDC's lifeguard program (in a PC) before installing it.

Message 2 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You should of course do a quick check of the SMART stats of the disks already in the NAS before starting to replace the disks. If one of the disks appears to be failing then that one should be replaced first. Take out the old disk and put the new disk in the same slot (preferably test the new disk using vendor tools first as StephenB suggested)

Message 3 of 7
rmurgz
Tutor

Many thanks for this. Quick question - how do I check the SMART stats of the disks? It looks pretty simple to do on a local devise but I'm struggling to work out how to do it for the NAS disks

Message 4 of 7
rmurgz
Tutor

PS Stephen B - thanks for such a comprehensive response - really appreciate the time you took to explain everything.

Message 5 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could hover your mouse over the disks in the web admin interface under System > Volumes, or you could download your logs and look in smart_history.log

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

You could hover your mouse over the disks in the web admin interface under System > Volumes, or you could download your logs and look in smart_history.log

Hovering only gives me the ATA errors, so I suggest downloading the logs.  It would be nice if there was a standard scrollbar added to the hover (or if you look at the disk health from within the volume settings).

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements