× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading from a NV+ V1 to a V2. Is it worth it,what addons?

Mr_B
Guide

Upgrading from a NV+ V1 to a V2. Is it worth it,what addons?

I've had the NV+ V1 for some time now, and i'm quite pleased with it. It's to freaking slow at times, but it's been rock solid, and as such it's been good to me.
Now, i've been using it for network storage (duh) accessible by:
DLNA from the TV. Been working like a charm.
SMB from Windows PC's. Slow to respond at times, but thats when it has to wake up the drives i suppose. Other then that, been streaming and browsing just fine.
SMB from a headless server (Microsoft WHS, the system is a X310)

Other main use is torrenting. Since i got the X310 it's pretty much been demoted to stuff with low activity, since performance is, truth be told, quite bad with high activity torrents.

Now, how would a V2 compare? Is it worth the hassle to go through a upgrade? It's also somewhat of a money issue, it's the equivalent of 300 USD for the NV+ V2 + 4 2TB drives.
Since the system will come with WD Greens, i think i will pull those, and put them to good use somewhere else, and invest in some WD RED's. It seams the system is capable of heading past 2-3TB drives. What IS the drive limitations on these things? None? (Well, realistically, that is)

Is there any notable addons i should look in to getting? I assume i'll be able to stick Transmission on it, and DLNA should be there from the get go. I read something about PLEX, but, is it worthwhile? I got 0.9.9.14 on the X310, with it's Intel Atom D510 & 2GB RAM it should be more capable then the NV+ V2, if i were to start using Plex for more then the phone... (But then again, Plex for the ReadyNAS NV+ v2 is a much more updated version, 0.9.11.7... Heck, i dunno. Thats why i'm asking you guys what you think.)

Anyways, just thinking out loud. I might be able to offload the NV+ v1 onto someone else down the line, but it would be for ice-cream money, at best, so i don't think it's hugely a factor in all this.
B!
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Upgrading from a NV+ V1 to a V2. Is it worth it,what add

I would get a new NAS e.g. 104 if you are going to get a newer model. The NV+ v2 is also an EOL (End of Life) product, whereas the 104 is a current model.

The NV+ v2 and 104 can both use 4TB disks.

You are limited to a volume of 16TB. If you want a higher capacity volume than 16TB then you need a 204 (announced, but not yet available) or a 314 (already available).

Unless you are getting a model with an Intel CPU I would leave Plex Media Server running on your X310.

The 314 is a good option for Plex as it can transcode some video, so if the video isn't quite in the right format or you wish to use a subtitle file then you may still be able to watch the video (provided the video isn't too high quality in which case you would need a more powerful NAS again).
Message 2 of 5
Mr_B
Guide

mdgm wrote:
I would get a new NAS e.g. 104 if you are going to get a newer model. The NV+ v2 is also an EOL (End of Life) product, whereas the 104 is a current model.
The 104 is pretty much 40 USD cheaper, but comes without any drives. Even if the Green's wouldn't be my first choice, they still represent a value.

mdgm wrote:
The NV+ v2 and 104 can both use 4TB disks.
so at least it's up to the double from the v1.

mdgm wrote:
You are limited to a volume of 16TB. If you want a higher capacity volume than 16TB then you need a 204 (announced, but not yet available) or a 314 (already available).
The 314 really isn't happening. Thats the equivalent of 650USD + drives.

Bottom line is i got the option to pick up a used v2, or stick with my v1.
B!
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well the v2 is faster than the v1, but do note you will have the same difficulty in moving to a newer NAS again in the future.

If you need help with a used ReadyNAS then here is the place to come.

The v2 uses a different RAID format to the v1 so the disks will need to be wiped if you intend to reuse those in the v2. Best to use different disks to those from the v1 in the v2 and transfer the data across your network.
Message 4 of 5
Mr_B
Guide

I'll suck on it for a bit, but if i'm going through with this, i think i'll simply pull the empty greens from the v2, and put them in the X310, temporarily. Then transfer the data from the v1 to them, and move the then empty drives to the v2, and do it all over again. Swap back the drives currently in the X310, and stick the (again) empty greens in the v1, and see if i cant get more then just ice-cream money for it with storage space. Using x-RAID it should be easy enough to upgrade the storage space down the line, if i decide to get 4TB drives.

Ideally i should get around to build that 20-bay Windows server system i've been collecting parts and software for, for ages, and just get rid of all the smaller NAS'es all together. But it seams i keep finding something wrong with every chassi i look at. Most disqualify them self in short order by being to deep, my cabinet is only 60cm to start with. So, i work around that for now, and look for other solutions.

Anyways, thank you a bunch, and then some, for your time and input.
B!
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements