× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upgrading the scratch disk

Equinox1
Guide

Upgrading the scratch disk

Hi everybody,

On my trustful Pro 6, I’m running a 5-disk RAID6 plus a a scratch disk.
The rationale is to put stuff that doesn’t require redundancy like OneDrive, Dropbox, Gdrive folders, tmp folder, TimeMachine plus some space for speedy backups from the other volume.

This HD was a 2Tb one, and I just purchased a 6Tb one.
Question to the community: how can I upgrade the HD without having to reconfigure the volume with all the apps, timemachine hacks, etc....?
Model: RNDP6000v2|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Equinox1 wrote:

Question to the community: how can I upgrade the HD without having to reconfigure the volume with all the apps, timemachine hacks, etc....?

Well, you can't if you are using the normal web ui.

It would be possible to do this with ssh with sufficient effort - cloning the existing drive, creating a new partition, creating a new raid group, and adding that the the cloned volume.  But it would be pretty difficult, especially if you aren't skilled with linux tools.

Message 2 of 4
Equinox1
Guide

Time to get my Linux-fu back in shape 🙂

What do you recommend?

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Use this as a guide.  I don't do that, exactly, but somebody with some Linux background can probably read between the lines: How-to-do-incremental-vertical-expansion-in-FlexRAID-mode.

Step 1 is clone the smaller drive to the larger.  Then, with the larger one installed, create a partition in the unused space and a second 1-drive RAID1 in that partition.  Then, expand BTRFS to include the new RAID volume.

I've seen postings of people just unmounting the file system, deleting the partition, re-creating a larger one starting with the same partition as the older, and then re-mounting the FS.  But with ReadyNAS having a single drive as a 1-drive RAID1, not just a standard volume, I don't think that would work.  But since you'll still have the original drive to start over, you can try it.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements