× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upgrading to 6.10.1

Equinox1
Guide

Upgrading to 6.10.1

This morning I was prompted to update to 6.10.1, and so i did (from 6.10.0HF2)

After the classical double reboot, the unit is stuck in a state where the screen says “Rebooting: upgrading FW” for a very long time. I shut it down, but it goes back to same state.

Since it doesn’t respond to SSH, I’m a little limited on what I can do... ideas?
Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Equinox1
Guide

Hi guys,

Despite the zero intereste or guidance from Netgear members on this forum, I managed to put the Pro 6 back online.

I indeed used the boot menu, with the option “Reinstall OS”; it took ages, but it brought the NAS back to life. Little huge detail: the RAID array had to be synced up once it was back online (and it took an extra 8 hours).

It’s the 3rd OS upgrade that breaks this NAS...

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 13

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

It looks like a pretty small bug-fix release.  Hopefully Netgear will want to take a look, so perhaps wait for @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V to comment.  But it is a legacy NAS running OS-6, so you won't be able to get paid support.

If you have a scratch disk, you could try removing your current disks (labeling by slot), and use the factory default boot menu option.  Then see if that install works ok (and what firmware it actually installs).

I guess you could also boot up in tech support mode.

Message 2 of 13
Equinox1
Guide

It’s the 3rd botched OS update, but this time I dont have SSH.

How do I relaunch the OS installation from this state?

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

You could try the OS reinstall option in the boot menu.  If you don't know how to do that, see pages 28-29 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RNDU2000/ReadyNAS_Ultra_UltraPlus_NVX_Pro_HW_en_8July11.p...

If that fails, then you could also boot in tech support mode and access the NAS with telnet.  Let us know if that is needed.

Message 4 of 13
tony359
Apprentice

I have the same NAS and I am very interested to know what the outcome is. Can I also ask whether 6.10.0 worked ok on your model before you upgraded?

Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 5 of 13
Equinox1
Guide

The upgrade to 6.10.0 also had hick-ups. But I could connect via SSH and relaunch the upgrade; which didnt happen this time.

The installed and the NAS in general worked fine in 6.10.0, but the "available apps" in the app store became almost non-existent, not really sure why.

Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Does tech support mode work?  You could attempt to relaunch the update from there.

Message 7 of 13
Equinox1
Guide

Hi @StephenB,

I was waiting for some more feedback, so I havent tried the tech support mode yet. Since I'm not familiar with it, I'll have to read the friendly manual first. 🙂
I'll let the community know, once I put your suggestion to the test.

Message 8 of 13
Equinox1
Guide

Hi guys,

Despite the zero intereste or guidance from Netgear members on this forum, I managed to put the Pro 6 back online.

I indeed used the boot menu, with the option “Reinstall OS”; it took ages, but it brought the NAS back to life. Little huge detail: the RAID array had to be synced up once it was back online (and it took an extra 8 hours).

It’s the 3rd OS upgrade that breaks this NAS...

Message 9 of 13
ahpsi1
Tutor

Interesting, of all the units I have used/managed the Pro 6 has been the most stable, even after upgrading to OS 6.  Do you think the drives might be involved?  I've seen issues when one has some SMART errors, even when not failed.  Regardless, glad you recovered the unit!

Message 10 of 13
tony359
Apprentice

I updated my Pro6 yesterday and all went well. I only have CrashPlan on my NAS, everything else is stock. I rebooted the NAS before updating, just in case.

Message 11 of 13
Equinox1
Guide

@ahpsi1 , completely agree! The Pro6 is a rock-solid machine, and to prove it, I own 3 of them! At different levels of customization, from stock to new CPU/RAM/cooling gear.

I have no reason to suspect any malfunction of the drives, or at least from the main array (5x2Tb drives in RAID6), plus a scratch disk for swap, downloads, cloud, etc... The scratch disk is a 2TB WD Green drive, so clearly not a NAS drive.

I suspect that there is some weak point in the current 6.9/6.10 OS upgrading procedure, that makes these hickups happen. Glad to share diagnostics from my system, if somebody would care to have a look.

Message 12 of 13
tony359
Apprentice

I care! But I am not an expert so I don't know if I can make anything from that. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements