× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading to 8 TB drives in ReadyNAS 524X

OldTimerGuy
Aspirant

Upgrading to 8 TB drives in ReadyNAS 524X

I have the ReadyNAS 524X with 4 2TB drives. I am using firmware 6.10.2.

I would like to upgrade to 4 8TB drives. Can I simply replace the 4 drives one at a time, and RAID 5 will restore the data each time I replace one of the drives?

What is the best way to do the swap?

Also, is there a YouTube video on doing the replacement process that someone can post a link to? My Google search did not give me good results. I have a backup for most of the movies on the 4 drives, but I would like it if I did not have to do a separate restore after the 4 8TB drives have been installed.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Regards,

OldTimerGuy

Model: RN524X|ReadyNAS 524X – Premium Performance Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Upgrading to 8 TB drives in ReadyNAS 524X

Yes, you can replace them one at a time to do the expansion.  The 2nd. 3rd, and 4th will all require two re-syncs, one for the original 2TB, and another (also labled "reshaping") for the expansion over the new space.  Do the swap with power on, and make sure the GUI shows all syncs complete before swapping another.

Before you start, you should insure your backup is up to date.  If a drive fails during re-sync, you can lose the volume.

Unless you have an urgent need for all that extra space, you are better off just starting with two bigger drives.  That will add 6TB, and you can swap out drives 3 and 4 down the road each time you need 6TB more.  This will keep all your drives from being the same age, and potentially failing at nearly the same time, plus the cost of the drives will be spread out and may drop over time.

If you really do need all the space and being down for a day or more is not a problem, it is much faster to backup, replace all drives simultaneously with power off (triggeriong a factory default at power-on), and restore from backup.

Given the simplicity and that each sync takes hours, I don't think anyone would make a video.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, you can replace them one at a time to do the expansion.  The 2nd. 3rd, and 4th will all require two re-syncs, one for the original 2TB, and another (also labled "reshaping") for the expansion over the new space.  Do the swap with power on, and make sure the GUI shows all syncs complete before swapping another.

Before you start, you should insure your backup is up to date.  If a drive fails during re-sync, you can lose the volume.

Unless you have an urgent need for all that extra space, you are better off just starting with two bigger drives.  That will add 6TB, and you can swap out drives 3 and 4 down the road each time you need 6TB more.  This will keep all your drives from being the same age, and potentially failing at nearly the same time, plus the cost of the drives will be spread out and may drop over time.

If you really do need all the space and being down for a day or more is not a problem, it is much faster to backup, replace all drives simultaneously with power off (triggeriong a factory default at power-on), and restore from backup.

Given the simplicity and that each sync takes hours, I don't think anyone would make a video.

Message 2 of 3
OldTimerGuy
Aspirant

Thank you for your detailed reply. I will give it a try.

Model: RN524X|ReadyNAS 524X – Premium Performance Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements