× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Uploading an updated version of an app via the UI does... nothing

XtheUnknown
Apprentice

Uploading an updated version of an app via the UI does... nothing

Anyone else experiencing this:

ReadyNAS 104 on 6.4.0, with the DVBLink app. DVBLogic have just realased an update to their server app. So, I download the .deb file from their website, go to the "app" page on the NAS UI, and click upload, browse to the .deb file and click upload. Takes about 30s of loading, then the page refeshes and.... nothing. The app has not installed/updated, and there is nothing in the log to indicate what has happened - no upload (un)successful messages. Can't upgrade to 6.4.1, as DVBlink are still fixing things to work with the new release (why do driver versions cause such problems here?)

Are others having problems uploading apps as files?

Message 1 of 6
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Uploading an updated version of an app via the UI does... nothing

Hi XtheUnknown,

Welcome to the community!

I have installed the official add-on instead (which is the one in our website) and it worked just fine. Either you install the same or let's hear from other members if they have experienced the same using the latest add-on version available from DVBLogic.

Kind regards,

BrianL

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Installing an app can take some time. In some cases you may need to wait some minutes for an app install to complete.

When an app includes kernel modules, then each time we update the kernel (this happens in most firmware updates) the modules have to be rebuilt against the new kernel. In some cases this may simply be a matter of building the pre-existing code for the modules against the new kernel, in other cases due to changes that have taken place the modules need to have some code changes then be rebuilt to work with the new kernel. It may take multiple attempts to get the code changes right.

Message 3 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

For bad installations of .deb files, download all logs and look in install_debpkg.log for clues.

Message 4 of 6
XtheUnknown
Apprentice

Hi Brian - the version on the app store (4.6.0) is now woefully out of date and unusable, as it cannot load some other required elements from the DVBLink servers.

I have suggested to them that they update the version in the store.

If you wish to investifgate my issue, you can freely download the 5.5.0 version from their website (http://78.47.27.219/download/installations/netgear-linux-r6-arm/dvblink-server-netgear-linux-r6-arm-... to your desktop and try the upload as I did.

At the very least I would expect *something* to show up in the ReadyNAS log file...

Message 5 of 6
XtheUnknown
Apprentice

Hi Sandshark - Interesting!

Alas I don't know enough about *nix to understand it, but at least I can forward it to NetGear or DVBLink if asked.

From what can see, the unsuccessful UI-based upload attempts are not even in this log, but the successfull manual install via SSH/PuTTY (under the direction of DVBLink tech support) is.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements