× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Use 2 HDD as single drives in READYNAS 312

coppi
Tutor

Use 2 HDD as single drives in READYNAS 312

Hi, i'm using a ReadyNas 312 to backup data from a ReadyNas 424.

The 312 holds two HDD: one with 8 TB and another with 6 TB.

I did configure the system as Flexraid (JBOD) and for each HDD a single Volume and a Share.

The reason for this is that if one HDD fails, i want to replace this and only have to restart the backup which is going on this HDD and the other volume stays intact.

As a scenario i did remove one of the hdd and put it back in. The GUI criticized that there are inactive volumes i have to remove and did show me 2 new volumes after the hdd was online.

But after a restart the volume and the share are back again. And also the data on it even i did only copy a few MB on it to test it.

Will this also happen if there will be more data on each share/volume? And is this advisable to do it that way?

thanks

matze

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Use 2 HDD as single drives in READYNAS 312

@coppi wrote:

Thank you for the answers.

I bought the ReadyNas 424 and it's running with XRaid (Raid 5) and currently there are 3 HDD in it (10.89 TB).

Before i was using the ReadyNas 312 and did backup the data to a USB-Drive.

But with the 424 size is getting bigger and he USB-Drive will not have enough space soon.

So i needed a different solution.

I know about the risk that there is no redundancy with two disks configured as JBOD.

I just want to make sure that if one disk is failing the other one is still working and i only have restart the backup for the new disk.

Btw: Backup is also made to another NAS placed at a different location

It sounds like the RN312 is being used to back up the RN424.  I've done what you are doing myself (running two jbod volumes on a 2 bay backup NAS), in order to have enough volume space for everything.  It's a workable approach, though expansion (or replacing failed disks) can take some time.  And you might have to occasionally move shares around on the two volumes to maintain reasonable free space on both volumes.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What you are expected to do is delete the volume on the failed disk.  Then replace it, create a new volume, and restore the data on it.

If you do end up with an inactive volume, you delete it before you insert the replacement disk.

Message 2 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

If the volume you removed was the primary one, the system migrated that to the other.  When you put the previous primary back in, the system may have been confused.  When both were again in the system, it did a re-sync of the OS and swap partitions.

@StephenB has described what to do if a volume really dies.  if you are asking if that's the way it will work if you remove and replace drives that have not failed, the answer is yes, and you should not be doing that.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

@StephenB has described what to do if a volume really dies.  

Or if you need to expand it.  You always need to delete the existing volume, put in the new disk, and create a new one.

It'd be different if you had a 4 bay NAS and were using two RAID-1 volumes.  But with jbod volumes, there is no redundancy, so you need to manually delete/recreate the volumes.

Message 4 of 7
coppi
Tutor

I bought the ReadyNas 424 and it's running with XRaid (Raid 5) and currently there are 3 HDD in it (10.89 TB).

But with the 424 size is getting bigger and he USB-Drive will not have enough space soon.

I know about the risk that there is no redundancy with two disks configured as JBOD.

I just want to make sure that if one disk is failing the other one is still working and i only have restart the backup for the new disk.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@coppi wrote:

It sounds like the RN312 is being used to back up the RN424.  I've done what you are doing myself (running two jbod volumes on a 2 bay backup NAS), in order to have enough volume space for everything.  It's a workable approach, though expansion (or replacing failed disks) can take some time.  And you might have to occasionally move shares around on the two volumes to maintain reasonable free space on both volumes.

Message 6 of 7
coppi
Tutor

Yes. The 312 is used to backup the data on 424.

I'm gonna use it like described.

Thx for all the answers.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements