× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Use RN214 as USV-Server

an_user
Aspirant

Use RN214 as USV-Server

Is it possible to use the RN214 as UPS Server?

I power my RN214 with an Eaton 3S UPS. Now I want to add a small windows 10 PC to the same UPS. How can I use the UPS-Information from RN214 on my PC to shut it down on Power down?

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Use RN214 as USV-Server

@an_user wrote:

How can I use the UPS-Information from RN214 on my PC to shut it down on Power down?

You could install the beta version of NUTS on the PC.  https://networkupstools.org/download.html

Note the beta is quite old - I've never tried it, so I don't know how well it works.

Message 2 of 5
an_user
Aspirant

I have tried the GUI versions of NUT before - no success.

I guess I can't get around the console application.

Does anybody know if I need a login with password and if the port 3493 is correct for RN214?

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Eaton's Intellegent Power Protector software is capable of doing that.  The problem with it as you want to use it is that the Built-in UPS monitoring software that's on the NAS will also try to access the UPS via the USB port at boot-up and both it and IPP will be unable to operate properly.  You have to manually disable the built-in UPS connection every time you re-boot.  NUT by itself does not do that, so it's something Netgear has done (note to Netgear:  Really bad programming practice.   When I disable something, I mean forever!).

The opposite works better, connect the UPS directly to the PC and running IPP in local mode on it and remote on the NAS.  But that does mean the PC needs to be on all the time.

Installing IPP on the NAS has to be done via SSH, so is not something that everyone will be comfortable with.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@an_user wrote:

Does anybody know if I need a login with password

Yes. The NAS uses monuser for the username and pass for the password

@an_user wrote:

if the port 3493 is correct for RN214?

Yes.

@an_user wrote:

I guess I can't get around the console application.

@Sandshark offered another alternative, which is to install Eaton's utility on the NAS.  Unfortunately you'd need to disable NUTS every time you reboot the system.  You could automate that with cron.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements