× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

User Account Share security and newer Windows 10 credential requirements

BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

User Account Share security and newer Windows 10 credential requirements

This is a follow-up to an old thread I could no longer reply to as that particular issue was resolved but this is closely related:

User Account Share Best Practices

This thread helped me setup my new NAS.

For a variety of reasons I have a computer that is just now moving to the most recent windows 10 build.  It was on an old build that did not have the credential change that impacts accessing NAS shares. Mine are all SMB.

I followed the instructions of the above post on how to setup my new NAS.  The shares are setup as follows:

RN424

Users are admin and one new username I setup to match my old RN104, we will call it backup.

One share for backup setup as read/write for two users: admin and backup (admin listed twice, not sure why)..

All my other shares setup with read/write for Everyone and admin (listed twice)

RN104 

Users are admin, sync (disabled), and "backup"

One share for backup setup as read/write for two users: admin (listed twice) and backup.

All my other shares setup with read/write for Everyone and admin (listed twice)

This works flawlessly with my older build of Windows 10.

Now that I have both units setup and working, I am trying to figure out what i need to do after my Windows update?   Will the above setup support the new credential setup on the latest Windows 10 builds?

Thanks,
BJB

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: User Account Share security and newer Windows 10 credential requirements

@BJB wrote:

Will the above setup support the new credential setup on the latest Windows 10 builds?

I suggest doing the Windows update, and solving the problem afterwards if it arises.

Are you using anonymous access from the PCs, or have you set them up to use a NAS account?

Anonymous access might fail with the newer Windows build.  If it does, you can either create new user accounts on the NAS (for instance, matching the log on and password of the PCs), or you can use the windows credential manager to tell the PCs to use an existing NAS account.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements