× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

User/Group permissions not working. SMB shares

raminmd
Aspirant

User/Group permissions not working. SMB shares

Hi all,

I have a ReadyNAS 516 with OS 6.2.

I created a folder called "Fox"

I have two separate groups that I created "Data" and "All".

User 1 is part of "Data" and User 2 is part of "All"

In the permissions for Fox, I have the following -

Network Access>SMB>Security -

Everyone - No Access
Data - Read/Write
All - Read/Write

File Access>Security

Folder Owner - Admin
Folder Group - Data

Everyone - No Access
Data - Read/Write
All - Read/Write

File Access>Default Access

Everyone - No Access
Folder Group - Read/Write
Folder Owner - Read/Write
Data - Read/Write
All - Read/Write

Here is the problem I am having when trying to login with either user.

User 2 (Part of all group)

I have windows 7 and when I try to access Fox as "User 2", I get a message that the access is denied and I should contact the administrator. When I try to access the drive, I am putting in the username and password for "User 2".

User 1 (part of Data group)

When I try enter the username and password for User 1, I keep getting the pop up for the username and password. It seems like the username and password are not accepted. I changed the password...no luck. It just does not take the username and password.

If I change the access permissions and give "Read/Write" access to "Everyone", then I can get in with no issues.

What am I doing wrong here? I am going nuts trying to figure it out.
Message 1 of 9
vandermerwe
Master

Re: User/Group permissions not working. SMB shares

The problem with windows is that it presents the current windows credentials to network devices, unless you have specified, in windows credentials manager, a different set for the network device you want to access.
The problem is that you need to use the name or IP address to register credentials, so one set will be for your admin pages.
You could use the name of the nas to register another set for one of the user's access, I think.

I have found the only workable solution to be to create separate windows users that match the nas users and to log in to those windows users when I want access to a share.

So, if you have a windows user the same as User1 and you are logged in to windows as that user, then you will have access to the share.

The problem is with windows really, not the readynas.
Message 2 of 9
ScottChapman
Apprentice

vandermerwe wrote:

So, if you have a windows user the same as User1 and you are logged in to windows as that user, then you will have access to the share. .

That doesn't seem to work for me (on 6.2.2 anyway). Are you sure it still works OK?
Message 3 of 9
vandermerwe
Master

Yes it works for me.
I have one restricted share which I cannot access from any windows user ( I get the usual login window that doesn't accept any credentials. If I do: net use * /delete, then I can login.

I have one windows user that matches username and password the user that has access to the restricted share. Of I login to windows as that user I get straight in to the share with no further login required.
Message 4 of 9
ScottChapman
Apprentice

For login do you use <NAS >/<username>?
Message 5 of 9
vandermerwe
Master

I login to the windows user as userx/passwordx.

Then I go to windows network browser I see my nas, click it , and open up the share. This share has a userx/passwordx and this userx is a member of a groupx which is given network and file access to that share. I have the owner of the share as admin, and group as groupx.
Message 6 of 9
ScottChapman
Apprentice

So, I just tried accessing after doing a net use * /delete command (which I think does the same thing as removing any existing entries in the windows credential manager).

It just keeps saying access denied and reprompts for username/password

Network access is read/write for my user account and admin only, and file access is also read/write user account only.

I login using <NAS>\<username>

In the log I see a couple of entries:
[2014/12/28 11:24:44.566106,  2] ../source3/auth/auth.c:315(auth_check_ntlm_password)
check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user [windows@scottechapman.com] -> [windows@scottechapman.com] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
[2014/12/28 11:24:53.947166, 2] ../source3/auth/auth.c:305(auth_check_ntlm_password)
check_ntlm_password: authentication for user [testing] -> [testing] -> [testing] succeeded
Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

net use * /delete is not the same as removing entries in the credentials manager. net use * /delete simply closes any opens connections. The saved credentials are still applied to any connections made with windows explorer.

That happens if you do
net use * /delete
net use t: \\nas\share /user:user password
Message 8 of 9
raminmd
Aspirant

Hi guys, sorry for the late reply. The only problem with this is, I have an older ReadyNAS pro where the usernames and passwords work just fine from Windows computers. I set up the same groups and usernames with similar permissions on that box as well.

The only difference as far as I can tell is that the protocol used to share on the older pro is CIFS and in the 516, it is SMB.

Secondly, my username and password that I use to login to my windows machine are the exact same as what I set up in the 516 for the share. I double checked and the group I am a part of in the ReadyNAs has full access to the share in ReadyNAS. However, I still cannot access the shares unless I give "Read/Write" persmissions to "Everyone".

Thanks.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements