× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

User Permissions - Write, not delete

neilo1978
Aspirant

User Permissions - Write, not delete

Hi All,

I am new to the world of the NAS and am just setting one up for a small business. Is there a way to create a share that will allow the majority of users to be able to write to it, but NOT to delete? We'd like to have only one or two people being able to delete files.

Thanks,
Neil.
Message 1 of 5
arjoseph1
Tutor

Re: User Permissions - Write, not delete

The NAS only has 3 permissions, Read, Write and Execute. Once you have the permission to write definitely you will have the permission to delete. I believe that this is a standard for all standard file protocols. 😄
Message 2 of 5
neilo1978
Aspirant

Thanks arjoseph.
Message 3 of 5
bbaraniec
Luminary

Accually you can. Create share, in protocol setting, example cifs, disable default access, add ro and rw users/group as you wish. Scroll down to:
Advanced CIFS Permission. Check Automatically set permissions on new files and folders and Do not allow ACL changes to be more restrictive than this and set read only.
Message 4 of 5
rdaems
Aspirant

bbaraniec wrote:
Accually you can. Create share, in protocol setting, example cifs, disable default access, add ro and rw users/group as you wish. Scroll down to:
Advanced CIFS Permission. Check Automatically set permissions on new files and folders and Do not allow ACL changes to be more restrictive than this and set read only.

I'm also interested in this.
But I don't understand all of it:
e.g.:
I've users "user1" to "user5" in group "writers"
I've users "user6" and "user7" in group "deleters"

The shared folder is "sharefolder1" with write access to both groups, since all the users should be able write/add new files/folders to it.
So, when I set the "Do not allow ACL changes to be more restrictive than this" to "read only", I suppose the files can only be read and not updated(write) after creation since it's set to read only. Or is my reasoning wrong?

BR, Rob
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements