× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Users and Groups

semola1
Tutor

Users and Groups

Hi all,

I need an advice to solve a problem. I have added a new user (user group) to a shared folder (only with SMB protocol).

When I try to open this folder from windows with this user, I obtain an "access denied" error.

If I insert the user in the Admin Group then I can access the shared folder.

Can you help me? I need to access folder with an normal user, not Admin user.

Thanks

Marcello

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
semola1
Tutor

Re: Users and Groups

I misread your last indication, I tried the two things you told me separately and, in that way, it did not work.

I tried again and now I can log in. I do not like excessively having "everyone" on file permissions, but that works.

Thanks

Marcello

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Normally you should add the group on the network access tab, and allow full access to everyone on the file access tab.  Windows (and the NAS) intersect the permissions, so the stricter ones should apply.  So look at that first.

Windows also only allows one set of credentials to be used with the NAS at a time.  So try running CMD and then enter net use * /delete

That terminates any open SMB sessions in the PC.  After that try your test again from Windows Explorer.

If it still fails, try

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nas-ip-address\sharename /user:username userpassword

with the IP address of the NAS and the sharename you have having trouble with. Username is a NAS account that is in the group, and userpassword is the associated password.  Be careful with the slash direction and spaces.

Message 2 of 11
semola1
Tutor

I have tryed as you suggest, but I have the same error. 

When I execute "net use * /delete" I don't delete any connection and I don't have any error.

When I execute "net use t: \\nas-ip-address\sharename /user:username userpassword" the operation was succesful. If I try to open t: with windows explorer or change the letter unit in the command prompt, I obtain the "folder access error".

I don't understand why if I change the Group at username (from users to Admins), windows can access to shared folder. When I restore the original group, I cannot access to shared folder.

Marcello

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Can you post screenshots of share settings - both the network access and file access tabs? 

Message 4 of 11
semola1
Tutor

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Try setting File Access to Read/Write for everyone.

Also, try setting the group that the user is in to "read-only" in the network access tab.  If that is "users" try creating a new group, and move him into it.

Message 6 of 11
semola1
Tutor

Only inserting my user into admin group, I can access the shared folder.

In all other configuration I offen have the same access denied error.

I don't know what I can try anymore.

Thanks

Marcello

Message 7 of 11
semola1
Tutor

I misread your last indication, I tried the two things you told me separately and, in that way, it did not work.

I tried again and now I can log in. I do not like excessively having "everyone" on file permissions, but that works.

Thanks

Marcello

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@semola1 wrote:

I do not like excessively having "everyone" on file permissions, but that works.

I do understand the concern.  But since you need to have network access in order to reach the share in the first place, you really aren't giving everyone access.

Message 9 of 11
semola1
Tutor

it's correct.

I know that even authorizing "everyone" to access all the files isn't dangerous because I filter upstream the shares.

I do not understand, however, why it does not work by authorizing both folders and files to a single user.

Just for curiosity.

Marcello

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

I'm not completely sure what the issue was in your case. Changing the file access in the web UI doesn't recursively apply those changes to all the files and subfolders in the share, so it's best done when the share is empty.  There's also the question of file ownership.

If you want to delve into the details of the file attributes and the ACL that the NAS applies, you probably need to enable ssh, and take a deeper dive from the linux command line.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements