× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using Kingston SSDs in my RN212

Gilfammedicine
Aspirant

Using Kingston SSDs in my RN212

I am using two Kingston 480 GB SSD's. These SSD's weren't on the list of accepted hard drives for my NAS. Is there a reason they won't work for the RN212? It doesn't make sense why they wouldn't be compatible with the NAS. 

Thanks

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Using Kingston SSDs in my RN212

Hi @Gilfammedicine

The ReadyNAS HCL list is actually not updated regularly, we have actually requested for it to be updated. Your SSD should work with your RN212 provided that the SSD does not have any issues to start with. Also, make sure that the series you have is suitable for NAS use.

Updating your NAS is also a good idea. Hope this helps!

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Gilfammedicine

The ReadyNAS HCL list is actually not updated regularly, we have actually requested for it to be updated. Your SSD should work with your RN212 provided that the SSD does not have any issues to start with. Also, make sure that the series you have is suitable for NAS use.

Updating your NAS is also a good idea. Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 6
Gilfammedicine
Aspirant

So far the Kingston's are working and healthy. The reason i asked is because i am having issues with speed and slow navigation (like 10 minutes to open a small PDF). I am just rulling our possible causes. My fear was that some compatibility issue with Kingston was causing it since it wasn't on the list. But because it is reading it fine and it works great (at times) i don't think the issue is with my SSD's. Any thoughts?

Model: RN212D21|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2-Bay
Message 3 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What firmware is installed on your RN212? Are you using it as a single volume?

Message 4 of 6
Gilfammedicine
Aspirant

I have the latest 6.9.5 Firmware. I have two 480GB SSDs in Raid 1.

Message 5 of 6
itachi2
Tutor

You may want to try updating firmware on the drives themselves - you'lll probably need a PC with a spare SATA connection to hook the drive up to temporarily.

V300, UV500, KC400, E100, E50, S200, HyperX Savage, and Fury have firmware updates available.  I only looked at drives already in SATA form factor, so if you're using M.2 with adapters or some such, check Kingston's support for those.

https://www.kingston.com/us/support/technical/category/ssd

If you mess with the drives, make sure to power off the NAS first (!)

Anyway, it might help with timeouts and compatibility - check the notes if they posted them for the updates...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements